dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« 12 miles out
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Nothing strange about this objective.
canestim
join:2012-01-20

1 recommendation

canestim to Sukunai

to Sukunai

Re: Nothing strange about this objective.

Do you realize how many gigs one hd stream from Netflix is? How are you going to stream movies to replaces your non-digital copies with that 10GB data cap with your Verizon LTE Home Fusion service? Hope you don't need to update Windows or Mac in the same month you decide to watch your politician documentary in HD. You may not download or save something to you hard drive anymore as you claim, but when you stream Netflix or Youtube you are actually still temporarily downloading the file to your computer.

These companies are only trying to take advantage of the consumer as usual. They say, we need more spectrum blah blah blah, but if they can't handle what traffic they have now how are they going to handle millions of DSL customers that are used to using as much data as they want without taking out a second mortgage. They refuse to build more towers now to ease spectrum crunch so what makes you think they will when they kill of DSL. What they will do is charge major overages to keep network traffic in check.

Wireless needs to complement wire, not replace it.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Wireless can replace as long as the caps are raised. And users need to realize that caps are here to stay weather you want them or not.
canestim

canestim

I don't think anyone is really disputing that, of course it can replace it. If it's done right. But you're trusting monopolies/oligopolies to raise caps with government oversight? Doesn't sound like a winning combination to me. The way it's playing out we will only have two providers, less competition is not good for the consumer. And look at how great the government has been at regulating it thus far.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Monopolies and shills should realize that customers do not like them and WILL get rid of them whether they like it or not.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to canestim

to canestim
and this is why unlicensed WiMax is available. Anyone is free to launch their own ISP. Why does it always have be to be on the ILEC and the major MSOs? Why can't some every day Joe launch the company that competes? Oh wait, DSLR doesn't believe in that.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to WernerSchutz

to WernerSchutz
as long as you have 2 or more choices you no longer have a monopoly.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz

Because a duopoly is so much better when collusion and regulatory capture occur. My bad.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to canestim

to canestim
said by canestim:

Do you realize how many gigs one hd stream from Netflix is?

That's Netflix's problem, not AT&T's.

The internet does not exist to replace cable or satellite tv.
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
3 words: Middle Mile prices.
viperlmw

viperlmw to elray

Premium Member

to elray
According to at&t it does!
canestim

canestim to elray

to elray
That would be ok if duopolies and monopolies did not exist because someone would provide the service consumers want that AT&T is not willing to do. All of you guys on here are funny, I think you just like playing Devil's Advocate (while you watch Netflix on your plush cable connection). Don't understand all the siding with corporations over yourselves and the consumer.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to canestim

to canestim
said by canestim:

Do you realize how many gigs one hd stream from Netflix is? How are you going to stream movies to replaces your non-digital copies with that 10GB data cap with your Verizon LTE Home Fusion service?

You realize in areas where one's only option is something like HomeFusion DSL doesn't even exist anyway. Places where DSL exists are in populated areas that are serviced by cable.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Skippy25 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Wireless will never match the speed, the latency nor the efficiency of a fiber network.

It simply is not possible based on sheer physics of wireless wave lengths compared to light.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to elray

to elray
See you corporate friendly folks seem to forget what the internet was and why it was corrected.

It has been bastardized kind of like Christmas. Once companies see there is money to be made they shape and distort whatever they can into their liking and hope we dont see the smoke and mirrors behind it all. Unfortunately, we allow it to happen.

The internet exist to provide it's users whatever they want.

So if they want Netflix, then yes it is AT&T's problem. Do you remember the days when AOL thought they knew what their users wanted and tried to force that upon them? Yeah... where are they today?

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to elray

to elray
noo i need my dsl for gaming and a comcast lien for browsing >:|
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by canestim:

Do you realize how many gigs one hd stream from Netflix is? How are you going to stream movies to replaces your non-digital copies with that 10GB data cap with your Verizon LTE Home Fusion service?

You realize in areas where one's only option is something like HomeFusion DSL doesn't even exist anyway. Places where DSL exists are in populated areas that are serviced by cable.

Not always true.. My brother has ATT dsl, but cable comes nowhere even close to the area... I can think of quite a few places where this is the trend.. So, its not by any means a default thing..
canestim

canestim to 88615298

to 88615298
There are millions and millions of people where DSL is the only option for wired Internet, wired Internet aka the real Internet aka not capped and/or dodgy signal 3G, LTE, or Satellite. And these people (like me) actually do live in populated cities. So yes I do realize that but why don't you go tell that to the millions of people (who only have DSL no cable option) who could possibly have their DSL shut of because of this.

It probably doesn't matter to you and all the others on here playing DA because you all probably have both options and don't care, outta sight outta mind. But like others said all you're doing is creating another monopoly (cable) and they will start to raise prices. They should spin the company off or the FCC should let them sell/transfer their lines to another company until a real replacement is ready for the big time.

Desertisp
@verizon.net

Desertisp to Skippy25

Anon

to Skippy25
I have to disagree with this statement. I work for a wireless ISP in a underserved area and we routinely push 200mbit+ over our backhauls and customers see no more than 5 - 10ms on all hops within our network before it hits our backbone to the Internet. So it's entirely possible to keep up at least with latency and coax or fiber, speeds to the customer is entirely dependent on distance, line of sight and how much of the airwaves are saturated on that frequency which admittedly means speeds may not be up to par to the end user but we still can push 20mbit easily to each CPE on our network.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to canestim

to canestim
The future is government regulation of internet and requiring there be no caps, no throttling, and a % guarantee of your download/upload speeds.
This will have to happen or then we will all be screwed by having to pay by the byte at millions of times more than the actual cost.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Not if a democratic majority of the people demand a regulation saying otherwise

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by canestim:

Where CenturyLink provides (?) DSL service in large areas of the Western USA, there is no cable or any other choice of ISP, thats right, no wireless either.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Skippy25

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

See you corporate friendly folks seem to forget what the internet was and why it was corrected.

The internet exist to provide it's users whatever they want.

As long as you're willing to pay for the use, so be it.
But don't expect a free ride, subsidized by your neighbors.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to toby

to toby
said by toby:

said by 88615298:

said by canestim:

Where CenturyLink provides (?) DSL service in large areas of the Western USA, there is no cable or any other choice of ISP, thats right, no wireless either.

good for them but this story is about at&t ditching DSL not CenturyLink. So did you have a point?
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Desertisp

Premium Member

to Desertisp
Is it your opinion then that the backbones could also be replaced with wireless?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to canestim

to canestim
said by canestim:

There are millions and millions of people where DSL is the only option for wired Internet, wired Internet aka the real Internet aka not capped and/or dodgy signal 3G, LTE, or Satellite. And these people (like me) actually do live in populated cities. So yes I do realize that but why don't you go tell that to the millions of people (who only have DSL no cable option) who could possibly have their DSL shut of because of this.

Perhaps I should be more specific. This story is about AT&T ditching DSL not any other DSL company. In MOST areas( most not ALL ) where at&t has DSL they have cable available. The % of areas where at&t has DSL but there isn't a cable provider is small. And until someone has numbers proving otherwise I'll stand by that statement.

It probably doesn't matter to you because you probably have both options and don't care, outta sight outta mind.

if you bothered to read any of many many numerous posts here over the years on the topic you would know your statement is 100% the opposite of reality
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
Sure, if you can put all the waves in a vacuum.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to elray

to elray
You continue to beat the dead horse of blocking content, creating intertubes for special access and wanting an AOL style internet of the late 90's along with your AT&T corporate fat cats.

While me and the rest of world move on past AOL days.
rahvin112
join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

rahvin112 to viperlmw

to viperlmw
Who needs the price them out at the middle layer, just use the monopoly to undercut prices till they go under then raise them back up. No investor in their right mind would overbuild because of that.

Look at what is happening to Utopia? Both Comcast and USworst (Now centurylink) both offer sweetheart deals to everyone that can get Utopia service, in fact prices are less than half the rest of the state. No one can reasonably compete against an entity that can simply price service below cost to drive you out of business.

Desertisp
@verizon.net

Desertisp to CXM_Splicer

Anon

to CXM_Splicer
In my opinion? No. You can't reach the throughput of fiber over the air, however for places that's its physically impossible to run fiber I feel microwave is viable as a backbone, yes. Concerning wired connections such as cable, DSL, FTTH then there really is no replacement for a fiber backbone to the distribution point whether its a node, DSLAM or (obviously for FTTH) the optical splitter in the neighborhood. Seeing how AT&T and others refuse to go this route (upgrading backbones, removing caps due to increased capacity) I think they have no business doing wired connections and their wired customers should be handed over for pennies on the dollar to companies who will upgrade and maintain these networks since they won't.
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571 to viperlmw

to viperlmw
Sir, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT on the problem being the Middle Mile!

After talking to some small town Telcos, they blame the high prices of their Middle Mile suppliers for not going to fiber as quickly as many would like.

In my area, the finger was pointed to AT&T as the WORST offender. One small Telco finally just installed their own 70 mile fiber line, to get around the Death Star and their high costs!
« 12 miles out
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Nothing strange about this objective.