All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MeAgain4
@direcway.com

MeAgain4

Anon

Selling Used Equip. - Do I Need 2 Call In 2 Clear?

I have a 7000S system I'd like to sell, but am unsure what all I need to do before I list the items for sale. Do I need to call in to Hughes to clear the modem?

I have modem and PSU for it, and the radio on the dish (No feedhorn as it was bad and that's why it was all replaced). I'd have the dish to sell as well, but the installer tossed it off the roof when replacing it and told us to use it for target practice haha.

Anyway, I think the modem is the only thing I need to worry about getting cleared, so do I need to do anything in regards to that?

Our account is current, and upgraded to 9000 now, and it was paid up the day before the 7000S feedhorn died on us. And since it died like that, it also made me wonder if the modem could have even been cleared from their end since they could not connect to it, or is that done internally just by serial # or accounts, ect?
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

If you changed systems than your modem was decommissioned by Hughes. If you own it you can sell it.

MeAgain4
@direcway.com

MeAgain4

Anon

Great, thanks!

Are you sure that is done without them being able to connect to the modem? Just want to be sure so I don't give a handful of headaches when they buy it.
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung to MeAgain4

Premium Member

to MeAgain4
Whom ever buys it will have to have it recommisioned with there account information.

MeAgain4
@direcway.com

MeAgain4

Anon

Thanks! That would be normal though wouldn't it?

I just wanted to be sure that it could be cleared without them being able to connect to it, since it was down and not connected during the switch-over (Uplink failed due to feedhorn cap missing and burned out - Sat out line disconnected was the only way to power up the modem). So, I mean it's done internally in their system, not within the modem itself correct?
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung to MeAgain4

Premium Member

to MeAgain4
If it is done on Hughes end that it is done.
montana_sat
Premium Member
join:2005-12-05
Kalispell, MT

montana_sat to MeAgain4

Premium Member

to MeAgain4
As of 9/17/12, HughesNet no longer allows the setup of "used equipment accounts" which is what someone would normally use to activate your used modem so they could use it on a month-to-month account without contract. We have been suggesting that people that are getting rid of their HN7000s modem or system simply call and suspend there account for a few months instead of cancelling it so it will buy some time to sell the modem and then you could do a "change of responsibility" for the account so the people that purchase it will take over your account! Why HughesNet chose to quit using perfectly good equipment is beyond me, but that's the scoop anyway! So if you haven't called in yet, I'll just suspend it for awhile until you see what happens! I'd guess a modem with an account will now become worth more than just a used modem to the right people anyway!

MeAgain4
@direcway.com

MeAgain4

Anon

So it's worthless now, I still see them selling on ebay?

I can't suspend the account, we use the account. We just upgraded to 9000 from 7000S due to the feedhorn failure, and we purchased the equipment long ago so I thought I should try to sell it to recoup some cash while they were still getting buyers on ebay.

If they cannot be used as you mentioned, why would people still be buying them? I'm not doubting you or anything, just curious.

Thanks for the info Sharkyoung, sounds like I'm good to sell then! That is if anyone would buy it I suppose? It does look like many still sell though, and recently, so I suppose I should go ahead and list it sometime soon.