how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Can't read from source file or disk

I'm having problems when trying to transfer video files from my main hard drive where Windows is installed to a USB drive. "Can't read from source file or disk". I tried zipping the file but getting error there as well, can't archive the video.

I should add that I just reinstalled Windows and used Hiren HDD recovery tool (had 21 bad sectors found & recovered).

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

The file, or the sectors of the drive holding the file are corrupt.

The fact that Hirens already found and "recovered" bad sectors would lead me to believe you have a failing HDD.

If the file(s) won't copy off, I'd say they are toast. Someone else may have an idea how to save/retrieve them.

I would for sure start planing to replace the HDD. You can test it using the drive manufacturers disk tools available from their website. That will confirm if the drive is faulty or not.
--
Google is your Friend

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to 59137280

If all or some of the data of that file was on any of those bad sectors, yeah that file is toast.

Run Seatools or something similar, but start planning on replacing it... SOON, before it hoses the rest of your data.

Montreal, QC
reply to 59137280

I meant, I used HDD tools and recovered bad sectors BEFORE, and then reinstalled windows, and then a few days later "Can't read from source file or disk" started

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to 59137280

Please tell us why it was necessary for you to run Hirens and then reinstall the OS. I'm guessing you had already experienced disk problems of some nature. Just because you ran some "fix" and reinstalled the OS will not fix a failing hard drive.

Montreal, QC
reply to 59137280

Never mind, I ordered a new SDD drive to replace this one, which I am sure it's the cause - this drive is probably failing.