All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patkitchen
join:2007-09-30
Toronto, ON

patkitchen

[Cable] Toronto - Cable - Moving modem but staying on same POI..

I'm going to be moving at the end of the month... but i'm only moving about 30 yards over to another building. Since i'll be staying on the same POI I should be able to continue service without getting hit for $65 right?

I have Rogers TV so they'll be coming first to make sure the line is active. I figure if the line is active and i'm on the same POI I should be OK... right?

For reference... this is how far i'm moving. »i.imgur.com/Gk4VT.jpg

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Re: [Cable] Toronto - Cable - Moving modem but staying on same P

Mailing/Billing address changing? You'll have to pay a move fee, I'd imagine.

Technically, you're probably right, that it should work - (unless the tech/sub actually installed the appropriate filters at install or disco...)
patkitchen
Toronto, ON

patkitchen

>Mailing/Billing address changing? You'll have to pay a move fee, I'd imagine.

Yes, but I don't get a paper bill so I'm not very concerned.

I'm thinking if I tell the RogersTV guy that I'm having internet hooked up he won't slap a filter on.... to be honest, I was always under the impression that one couldn't filter internet w/o filtering TV out.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by patkitchen:

to be honest, I was always under the impression that one couldn't filter internet w/o filtering TV out.

They can. They don't, but they can.

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli to patkitchen

Premium Member

to patkitchen
You will be fine until you have an issue that requires a visit.
or the person at your old address attempts to get service.
patkitchen
Toronto, ON

patkitchen

said by Gimli:

Even then my modem will still be authorized on that POI, shouldn't change anything, no?

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

They can. They don't, but they can.

I don't know about Toronto, but they certainly do in Waterloo.

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb to patkitchen

Premium Member

to patkitchen
said by patkitchen:

said by Gimli:

Even then my modem will still be authorized on that POI, shouldn't change anything, no?

The person at your old address will sign up and be told by Rogers that service is already active. Not really your problem, but not very nice either.

From a technical perspective absolutely this will work. It's an administrative/paperwork issue that people are raising.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to patkitchen

to patkitchen
Most buildings don't automatically have service turned on... AKA the wire is disconnected or will be disconnected by rogers.

Sadly you will need Rogers to come and mark the line with a TPIA tag and hook up the wire... hence the stupid 65 bucks..

I recently had to do this, and It hurts... but had to be done.
patkitchen
Toronto, ON

patkitchen

I have Rogers TV. Rogers will be coming to make sure the line is active and my PVR box works. So... I assume that they just hookup the cable and don't go as far as hooking up a filter that blocks internet, its not like i can just plug in any ol' modem and have it work. I don't see why they'd need 2 layers of protection for that.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

1 edit

xdrag to patkitchen

to patkitchen
Save yourself a headache later and pay the one time fee. Not worth the trouble down the road Unless youre planning on cancelling in 2 months.
Save 65 Elsewhere. Whats worse is that you try to play the system, fail, and your internet is down for a few days when you move to your place