how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

imosh

join:2009-01-27
Washington, NJ

[E-mail] 10 minutes for email delivery?

is this a normal issue for internet providers?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

To Comcast? From Comcast? What are you using as the e-mail client?

imosh

Washington, NJ

were using our website email, not hosted by comcast.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

I'm still not clear. Is it mail go to or from a Comcast account?

If it's to Comcast, it depends on the source. Sometimes, they may be a bit slow, or Comcast may be behind or have issues with that site. Most of the time, when I have mail sent to me from a site (typically 'forgot password' type things), it usually comes in 10-15 seconds. Also, some website mail, and even regular mail clients, may not update automatically that often (probably every few minutes) and you need to force a refresh.

imosh

Washington, NJ

not from comcast accounts.

thanks for the answer

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to imosh

It all depends on your setup.

Did you send an email from Gmail to your comcast email or something which was then downloaded by Outlook or what?

imosh

Washington, NJ

we use outlook, but the delay was even for web based mail at the server side.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to imosh

said by imosh:

E-mail is not an Instant Messaging service. I would not worry about a 10-minute delivery time. Heck, I set my clients to only check for new mail every 30 minutes!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

imosh

Washington, NJ

we have ours set for 1 minute

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by imosh:

we have ours set for 1 minute

If mine were set for just one minute, I'd have multiple failures, as I am polling multiple accounts. I need to give the clients and servers some time to react.

Maybe you should look into an IM system?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to imosh

Look at the headers, you should see in which systems the delay, if any, occured.
As pointed out above, email isn't instant, and with queues for anti-spam/AV/attachment checks 10 minutesfrom outside isn't horrible.
CC handles billion(s)of emails a day.

If you were sending totally inside a closed system,
say, AOL (yahoo, earthlink,etc.) which now has about 10 times the capacity per client, the delivery is near instant, pick a still expanding provider (comcast,gmail, really any web client) and their resources are more closely following/trailing demand so the response is slower, cross between one to another and throw in a few forwards, and it takes longer.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to imosh

said by imosh:

It is neither abnormal or an "issue" per se. An email server will typically send outgoing email to a local queue, and from there it will actually be sent on a timed schedule. Flushing the outbound queue every 5-10 minutes is not really that unusual (especially if that server is waiting on queued external anti-malware and anti-spam scans).

While some email service providers may flush their outbound queues more often (making the send lag time seem instantaneous at times), a short delay of 10 minutes is not really unusual (although I do understand that for someone more used to IM than to email, that 10 minutes may seem like an eternity).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.