dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

See, there's the thing that people seem to be overlooking - not all jobs are the same. For example, I don't work at a job where I have a 'locker', I have a desk. And as a general rule, it's fine for me to just leave for an hour in the middle of the day; the assumption is that I'm taking care of what needs to be taken care of, and I have a reasonable reason for skipping out. (I offer this as an example of differing work conditions, nothing more).

This might sound soft to some, but on the other hand, I'm expected to get done what I said I'd get done, and minor issues like going home after 40 hours don't really figure into it. The measurement points are project milestones, not hours. The consequence is that you tend not to leave work at work. Hasn't happened lately, but the 3AM phone call telling me that Some Big Customer is in crisis is not unknown to me. Even though I don't do customer support.

I can see that a guy making furniture on a factory floor probably shouldn't be checking his Facebook status. The guy writing code and waiting for the sysbuild to complete, not so much.

(If I were an employee of yours, your bottom line would likely be safer if you *didn't* make me make furniture...)

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

I agree Dave. There are different types of jobs with different types of work; levels of experience, etc. Some work is hourly, some is salary. Salary, traditionally, is (supposed to be) less about the hours worked but getting the job done. The more senior of your career, the more you earn latitude as well.

But, in relation to 1 in 5 job seekers requiring Facebook access? Being the person without the job, and without knowing about said job you are not yet doing, having unlimited access to facebook for personal use as a requirement seems to be a misplaced priority to me. IMHO

-Jim
2012-09-20 14:08:02

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

The Limit to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Thank you for pointing out this counter example. I fall into this category.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to JALevinworth

Premium Member

to JALevinworth
You're making the assumption that a "job-seeker" has no job at present, and that this is the only offer he's got. Maybe that is inherent in the term (I think the British government bureaucracy uses "job-seeker" as a synonym for the rather negative "unemployed"), but I wasn't taking that as a given - I took it that we're talking about a guy interviewing for a particular vacant position.

Where'd you get the "without knowing about the job you're not yet doing" part? I'm not criticizing you, but I just looked at it from the point of view of weighing the pluses and minuses of a job offer.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by dave:

I wasn't assuming the job-seeker was unemployed. I said, " Being the person without the job" not a job. Meaning if you want said job in question, no matter if you have one or not.

Does that make it more clear now? Obviously, you can't know about all there is about a position you've never held no matter how many times you've held positions similar nor done what appears to be the same type work. Different employers, different needs, different workloads, different expectations, etc, etc. even different economies.

I'm not offended.

-Jim
2012-09-20 15:42:04