uniqs
share rss forum feed

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
reply to sharkyyoung

Re: HughesNet Gen4 Buyer Beware

Business plans will come out at a later date. At least that is what I have heard.

jizwiz

@direcway.com
reply to Sandy T

So far I haven't been able to get anyone at HN Support to even answer the phone, so I can't even make the determination whether or not the upgrade is good. I have had HN for about six years and I think that they suck! I pay for 1mps and am lucky to get 350k.

I couldn't upgrade to the 9000 because I couldn't place a dish in any acceptable location and still see the sat. I had to top some trees to get what I have.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA

1 edit

said by jizwiz :

So far I haven't been able to get anyone at HN Support to even answer the phone, so I can't even make the determination whether or not the upgrade is good.

I was directed to this link when I called about upgrading to Gen 4 :

»gen4upgrade.hughesnet.com/login.cfm

If your ZIP and SAN check out (i.e., you *can* upgrade now), you get directed to this link which has the plans available for existing customers:

»gen4upgrade.hughesnet.com/plan4.cfm

I was told that the Power plan would not be discounted to $49.99 a month for existing customers. So Hughes created a Power Plus plan at $59.99 a month (the same as the undiscounted Power plan) which just has an extra 5 GB / month of "Bonus Bytes".

So for me, there was a $99 upgrade fee and a $50 mail-in rebate. As documented on another topic, I was also charged $125 by the installer for a new pole mount. And also, existing customers were not allowed to purchase their equipment when I put in my upgrade order, so there's also the $9.99 monthly equipment lease free.

So for me, a minimal upgrade to Gen 4 cost $225 up front, with a monthly bill of $70.

DamonLee22

@mycingular.net
reply to Sandy T

I had Hughes Net for two years and was not satisfied with the service or the $82 dollar cost every month. I decided to go with a new line of service on my cell phone and got the data connect device instead. I called Hughes Net and cancelled my service and was immediately transferred over to a lady who began offering me the new Gen4 Service... She explained to me the equipment would be Free, Installation would be free, and I would receive Unlimited Data for a fee of 49.95 plus tax per month... I didn't take the deal, but didn't sound too bad... I already signed the contract with my phone service. My suggestion to anyone who is unhappy with their service with Hughes Net should call and tell them you wish to cancel the service, I'm sure if you have been with them for a couple of years they will give you the same offer.

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

said by DamonLee22 :

I had Hughes Net for two years and was not satisfied with the service or the $82 dollar cost every month. I decided to go with a new line of service on my cell phone and got the data connect device instead. I called Hughes Net and cancelled my service and was immediately transferred over to a lady who began offering me the new Gen4 Service... She explained to me the equipment would be Free, Installation would be free, and I would receive Unlimited Data for a fee of 49.95 plus tax per month... I didn't take the deal, but didn't sound too bad... I already signed the contract with my phone service. My suggestion to anyone who is unhappy with their service with Hughes Net should call and tell them you wish to cancel the service, I'm sure if you have been with them for a couple of years they will give you the same offer.

No such thing as unlimited data on Hughes, and as far as the equipment being free that would have to be in writing.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to DamonLee22

Install might be free, Equipment might be "FREE" (meaning no up front cost or the equipment), but there is a $9.99 PER MONTH rental fee. always has been, probably always will be.

UNLIMITED? Yeah right, on satellite? NOT! even cellular/mobile broadband is slowly moving away from "unlimited"....even then its "FULL 3G/4G for 5GB", then throttled for the rest of the billing cycle. companies stretch the definition of the word "unlimited" so far its not funny.

i'd get any offering from HUGHESNET over the phone IN WRITING first.

said by DamonLee22 :

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX
reply to Sandy T

I just signed up for Gen 4 and listed (in another thread) what they promised me. After reading this message, I called back to verify and asked them to EMAIL me the details of our agreement. They would not email me a copy! Said they can't. Whaaaat? That's fishy! But, instead of a $20 discount for 6 months, it's a $20 discount for 12 months. I have case numbers and supervisor numbers. What I needed was a recording of the conversation since they "can't" email me a copy of our agreement
So upfront, I know that the cost will be $60 (10 of that is lease fee) a month, $40 a month for the first 12 months. After all the readings to confirm and talks with two supervisors, case #, etc, if they call and say "oops..." I will hurt someone

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 edits
reply to Sandy T

Looking at the front page of Hughes website concerning the powerplan, it says:

"† Offer represents $10 savings on Power plan $49.99 promotional monthly rate. Valid on Purchase or Lease orders between 09/17/12-12/31/12 on the Power plan only and does not apply to other Service Plans. HughesNet service must remain active for a minimum of 31 days. Other restrictions may apply. Offer void where prohibited by law."

Once you click view details for the power plan it says:

"† Offer represents $10 savings on Power plan $49.99 promotional monthly fee for the first 3 months. Valid on Purchase or Lease orders between 09/17/12-12/31/12 on the Power plan only and does not apply to other Service Plans. HughesNet service must remain active for a minimum of 31 days. Rebate submission must be received by 12/31/13. Other restrictions may apply. Offer void where prohibited by law."

Does anyone know which one is correct?

monicakm

join:2005-03-12
Grand Saline, TX

Well I'm back on the phone again with HN to try to get to the bottom of this. Waiting for another supervisor. I'm questioning the "for the first three months" that's noted on their website. Without (and maybe with) written proof of $60/month as long as I keep the same plan, I'm screwed.
Milton (supervisor #3) said that the technician who installs my equipment will have the written agreement with everything that's been stated to me by Hughes today. If something is not accurate, I can refuse the install. He sees where I was promised a locked in fee of $60/month for as long as I keep this plan but is checking to make sure they can actually do that...they can. The caveat is if I decide to upgrade to a faster plan, then decide to go back. I'll incur the higher monthly fee. Already knew that. When I pointed out the "for the first three months" on the web, he said "that is for new customers". At least I'll have everything in writing tomorrow.