spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav

Can't let go of "Old Ma Bell!"

AT&T did this to themselves, getting rid of the Old Copper Plant is not that easy, especially when even their new technology U-Verse uses it. People don't want to give up their Copper Land Lines and DSL, they are happy with this old technology. AT&T sees this as a Money Pit, and wants to unload this Copper Plant along with the expensive regulations. Let's see what happens, but I think AT&T should look at a Total Fiber Network, and maybe that is the direction they are heading but without the regulations.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Happy with old copper..no, not really..

Six months ago, I dumped at&t POTS, and a deteriorating aDSL line. I ported my old land line # to non-at&t wireless and saved nearly $60mo..

Added bonus.. Got caller id and call waiting for free. (Caller ID is very helpful blocking telemarketers, so called surveys, and politicians)..
And my wireless internet, though capped.. is much faster than my old aDSL line.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by tkdslr:

Happy with old copper..no, not really..

Six months ago, I dumped at&t POTS, and a deteriorating aDSL line. I ported my old land line # to non-at&t wireless and saved nearly $60mo..

Added bonus.. Got caller id and call waiting for free. (Caller ID is very helpful blocking telemarketers, so called surveys, and politicians)..
And my wireless internet, though capped.. is much faster than my old aDSL line.

Are you talking about VoIP, and using a Wireless Phone set up, like Ooma or Vonage? I'm in Verizon territory and I had two Land Lines, and yes paying through the nose. Like you Ported over my Second Line to Ooma, and I'm saving a bundle. I too use Caller ID, and Blocking is unlimited with Ooma and I can access my Line OnLine and Block and send those Telemarketers to a Recording.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

I have VoIP thru SKYPE/Win 7 laptop. But, I use that for mostly 800 numbers, and some long duration calls (2 cents a minute).

An LG800g Tracfone(triple minutes foe life) replaced my local at&t phone service(5 cents/min). The LG connects to my Alarm system dialer & Panasonic talking caller id phones via Bluetooth/Siemens Gigaset one.

The Gigaset one also bluetooth's to my rooted Samsung Exihibit II 4g, which also provides cap'd 4g internet service.

So far, big savings.. in six months my savings has recovered all of my upfront costs. LG800g $35, Samsung Exihibit II 4g $200, Panasonic(KX-TG6644B) $100, Siemens Gigaset One $18.

Note: I did have some teething pains with the Gigaset One, but I discovered swapping out with a stronger 1.5amp/9v DC power supply solved those issues.