AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

The App Store in iOS 6 sucks serious ass. HUGE thumbnails for the search results? WTF? Just give me a LIST you F-ers! The results layout wasn't broken!

So then I'm trying to find the Google Youtube app since Apple saw fit to arbitrarily remove the Youtube app during the upgrade and you simply can't find it. Over 400 results for "Youtube" displaying only 4 results at a time on an iPad 3. I had to get it by actually searching google for an article with a direct link to it in the store...but of course you can't download it because the App Store is swamped with traffic. Everything is timing out. Apps set for download just say waiting... Can't stop it and try to restart it...you're just stuck.

Apple YOU SUCK!

Not only that but the entire app store interface is GLACIAL, far too pretty for its own good. And the downloads tab is gone so you can't check on the progress of your downloads in-app. The downloads tab WILL appear but only after a DL starts...but good luck getting that far.

I also can't get apps to update from within the app store app, you press update and NOTHING. Rebooted go back and NOTHING. Occasionally the app store app just locks up all together and you have to force quit.

Purchased videos don't show up either. Just an empty page.

Just more half baked crap from Apple. If I wanted a shitty experience I'd be using Android and Google Play. I expected better from Apple.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

Reboot your phone.

It's fixed.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

I've rebooted 10 times. It ain't fixed.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

said by skeechan:

I've rebooted 10 times. It ain't fixed.

Well then you’re holding it wrong!

LOL, Just kidding. I agree with everything you just said, although, I wouldn’t have likely put it so bluntly. I’ll also add that all my music played fine except for the music I bought from iTunes. I had to delete and re-download them which still didn’t work. I deleted them again but this time disconnected my new iPad from the computer and downloaded them again. That time it worked and purchased music played fine.

I have a Walking Dead app where I have purchased a handful of books in-app. The app was there after the update but none of the books. I had a bit of a time trying to figure out how to get those books back,…couple of new gray hairs,… but that’s OK given I pulled out so much hair anyway,…

I expect the overall feel will improve when they release a few minor updates to iOS 6.0.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
reply to skeechan

I'm surprised to read an iOS 6 rant that didn't even mention maps.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I haven't gotten that far yet...GRRRRRR. I'll probably have to wipe and restore to get it fixed when I get home. Everything is hanging up in the app store, nothing will even THINK about downloading.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Octavean

Now I just realized that IMAP accounts won't refresh. I have to manually delete items that were deleted by other clients even after a header refresh in iOS.

The youtube app blows...no airplay without mirroring, not iPad native, FULL of ads... Google sucks more than Apple does. I wouldn't think you could make a youtube app any worse than the one for ICS but they've managed to surpass endlessly buffering and frame dropping disaster on Android.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

The App Store in iOS 6 sucks serious ass. to find the Google Youtube app

The Google YouTube app is IPhone app, so change the selector from IPad to IPhone.

"That is All"

--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

WUT?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

There's a filter to show only iPhone apps or only iPad apps. If you don't find the app in one, try the other.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I can't find it in either. There are so many irrelevant results the only way I can actually find it is by searching on the web for it and following THAT link to the store. 471 results for "Youtube" all mixed together and because of the thumbnail graphics load slower than hell. Even when I find a google app and search for "other apps" by Google it's not there.

It would be way easier if Apple didn't completely F up the search functionality of the app store with the retarded thumbnails.

Whoever did this to search in the app store should be taken outside and shot in the nuts.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

It's the first app on the page when simply search on YouTube and filter by iPhone... I guess your iOS device doesn't like Google or something.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Yesbut...I need it for iPad, not the handset, hence "not iPad native". It only runs at iPhone resolution and scaled up like dog poopy. I can't get it to full screen without the title bar and it requires mirroring to airplay.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

The Google YouTube app was the very first app listed in the Free section.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to skeechan

Understood.

However, the point about filtering via iPhone vs iPad still stands. If you can't find the app in one, then try the other.

The fact is you can't find a particular app for the iPad in the iPad section because said app doesn't exist for the iPad. That's not a search problem. It's an availability one.

For my iPad, I put an m.youtube.com Safari bookmark on my homescreen where I've logged in and have access to my subscriptions, new vids, etc. In full screen.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Oh yeah, I knew that, I just thought I was clear about needing it for iPad.

On the iPad, mobile youtube isn't scaling to full screen correctly for vids that do scale, I still have the safari bar (it's not true fullscreen). It's a non-starter. I need a REAL youtube app for iPad and given how much I actually watch on Youtube, my iPad is pretty worthless to me without it.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Yesbut...I need it for iPad,

Google has NOT yet an IPad app for YouTube, but they are working on it, supposedly.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Guess the iPad will be going on the shelf and the TF700T will see additional use.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to skeechan

I'm downgrading back to OS 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4 and iPad and won't be sending the iPhone 4 off to Amazon trade-in. I got my factory unlock email today. I am going to sleep on it but I think I will be refusing the iPhone 5 shipment tomorrow. iOS6 just sucks that bad and obviously there is no running iOS 5 on it.

EDIT - The downgrade went without a hitch on the iPhone 4, now on to the iPad

EDIT 2 - Downgrade for the iPad went without a hitch either, for the iPad the OS 6 backup was no good but since I named it the same, iTunes had kept what I had synced. BUT, iOS6 only apps like iPhoto are a no-go, thankfully I have backups.

Although I didn't get my factory unlock message with the iPhone 4, figured I would since I got the AT&T email this morning.

EDIT 3 - Unlock worked on the 2nd restore attempt on the iPhone. Backup copies of iMovie and iPhoto back on the iPad...all is well. Also as suspected, Google Maps and Youtube are part of the IPSW package and those older ones haven't been messed with so maps and tube are back.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to skeechan

A lot of people are having issues with updates on their iPhones. I believe it is server related. Of course, it is fine, because it is Apple.

I am...very..upset...about YouTube app being taken down. And Apple Maps is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. USELESS! Unless you have the iPhone 4S or better, and live in some big American city..and I mean big, like LA or Chicago or NY big, the map is HORRIBLE. Location services is very worse! HA! It's been off by about 1/2 mile the entire day.

This phone, which was okay w/o Siri (really, why can't she be on my iPhone 4??) but right now it's a piece of garbage. I wanna go back to my old iOS.

What the hell is with Passbook? All it does it takes me to the App store that doesn't let me download or update anything. Really? REALLY?

Ditching the phone once the contract is over. Something has run amuk over there. Though I will still continue to put iPod and MacBook. Just not iPhone.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

dtheduke

join:2001-08-09
Leesburg, FL

Yeah this update is pretty buggy. I like to listen to podcasts and the new podcasts app that was upgraded for ios 6 is garbage. In ios 5 if the podcasts app didnt work i could just use itunes but you cant do that now. You are stuck with their crappy podcast app. Man apple is a bettr company than this!!!!!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to skeechan

The upgrade is worth about what I paid for it... nothing.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I paid with 3 hours of my time trying to get crap working and then giving up and going back to 5.1.1

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to skeechan

Somewhere there are apple haters loving all of this......

My gripes are relatively minor when it all boils down. I can't resist change forever, I'm learning things and it gets better. Maps, well......
--
| map your city |

Expand your moderator at work

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to J E F F

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

said by J E F F:

I am...very..upset...about YouTube app being taken down. And Apple Maps is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. USELESS! Unless you have the iPhone 4S or better, and live in some big American city..and I mean big, like LA or Chicago or NY big, the map is HORRIBLE. Location services is very worse! HA! It's been off by about 1/2 mile the entire day.

Wow, cause I'm not in some big American city. Google Carlisle, PA - I think there's about 40k people that live in the area. Hardly big by any means. And guess what? Both my iPad 2 and Iphone 4s have our new-ish development in them and the map is fine, puts me in my house when I'm at home.

Yes, the update has its issues but all in all it's decent and iOS has been working fine on the iPad and 4s. Coming from Android it's much better than that "system".

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

...and it requires mirroring to airplay.

The Google YouTube app has AirPlay on my iPhone, implemented the same way it was in the native app. What am I missing?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to skeechan

iOS 6 has been working great for me, it's a nice evolutionary upgrade. I like having Siri on my iPad and I don't care about the missing YouTube app.

Maps does need a lot of work. However the new maps app accurately shows my location. It also shows the recent street changes in my neighbourhood where Google still doesn't. I also like how fast they render and the smooth zooming in and out. I'm sure it will improve with time.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to skeechan

The App Store reminds me a little of the xbox dashboard and the new Windows 8, what used to be called Metro, interface.

In all those cases I've found the horizontal panel scrolling a bit irritating and slower. It seems to be the way UI designers are going these days.

For some reason it doesn't bother me too much on Apple TV.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to J E F F

There will surely be updates within a few weeks... I'm sticking to iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone4 and iPad3...