Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dtheduke

join:2001-08-09
Leesburg, FL
reply to J E F F

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

Yeah this update is pretty buggy. I like to listen to podcasts and the new podcasts app that was upgraded for ios 6 is garbage. In ios 5 if the podcasts app didnt work i could just use itunes but you cant do that now. You are stuck with their crappy podcast app. Man apple is a bettr company than this!!!!!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to skeechan

The upgrade is worth about what I paid for it... nothing.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

I paid with 3 hours of my time trying to get crap working and then giving up and going back to 5.1.1

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to skeechan

Somewhere there are apple haters loving all of this......

My gripes are relatively minor when it all boils down. I can't resist change forever, I'm learning things and it gets better. Maps, well......
--
| map your city |

Expand your moderator at work

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to J E F F

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

said by J E F F:

I am...very..upset...about YouTube app being taken down. And Apple Maps is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. USELESS! Unless you have the iPhone 4S or better, and live in some big American city..and I mean big, like LA or Chicago or NY big, the map is HORRIBLE. Location services is very worse! HA! It's been off by about 1/2 mile the entire day.

Wow, cause I'm not in some big American city. Google Carlisle, PA - I think there's about 40k people that live in the area. Hardly big by any means. And guess what? Both my iPad 2 and Iphone 4s have our new-ish development in them and the map is fine, puts me in my house when I'm at home.

Yes, the update has its issues but all in all it's decent and iOS has been working fine on the iPad and 4s. Coming from Android it's much better than that "system".

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

...and it requires mirroring to airplay.

The Google YouTube app has AirPlay on my iPhone, implemented the same way it was in the native app. What am I missing?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to skeechan

iOS 6 has been working great for me, it's a nice evolutionary upgrade. I like having Siri on my iPad and I don't care about the missing YouTube app.

Maps does need a lot of work. However the new maps app accurately shows my location. It also shows the recent street changes in my neighbourhood where Google still doesn't. I also like how fast they render and the smooth zooming in and out. I'm sure it will improve with time.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to skeechan

The App Store reminds me a little of the xbox dashboard and the new Windows 8, what used to be called Metro, interface.

In all those cases I've found the horizontal panel scrolling a bit irritating and slower. It seems to be the way UI designers are going these days.

For some reason it doesn't bother me too much on Apple TV.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to J E F F

There will surely be updates within a few weeks... I'm sticking to iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone4 and iPad3...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Michail

As I mentioned earlier, it's too pretty for its own good. The functionality is gone from the store.

More importantly is this will HAMMER developers. Who is going to scroll through 1000 results 4 apps at a time? No one. They're going to go through the first few and pick something. Before devs had a better shot on being seen, at least on iPad where you were shown 12 apps per screen instead of just 4.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

There will surely be updates within a few weeks... I'm sticking to iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone4 and iPad3...

Don't upgrade. Worst upgrade ever. I had issues upgrading before, but it was technical issues, mostly on Apple's server side. This upgrade pretty much makes anything less than an iPhone 5 useless.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to skeechan

I feel your pain, but I searched for you tube and it came right up as the first option. That was after installing ios6 yesterday morning.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to Nezmo

For me it required mirroring so it wouldn't run at a native resolution in my ATV3s. They were scaled and looked really bad. I also got titlebars instead of true full screen. On my iPhone 4 it said this device can only play sound over airplay. Meanwhile the native app plays full screen airplay to my ATV3 no problem.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

For my iPad, I put an m.youtube.com Safari bookmark on my homescreen where I've logged in and have access to my subscriptions, new vids, etc. In full screen.

Let me ask you this.

Are you saying that when you watch a YouTube video in Safari "full screen", you don't see the tabs at the top? I ask because I find the tabs and stuff very annoying and distracting when watching a video.

BTW, I think I found a few more bugs. Whenever I open more then 9 tabs in Safari the keyboard pops up with no space bar. If the keyboard is already up it will refresh without the space bar.

If I am gong to post and erase a line of text in the text box the page jumps to the top of the page and stays there.

I think I'll stick with iOS 6 for now on my new iPad but I'm not happy with it. The App Store is jacked-up, clunky, ugly (IMO) and slow,...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by HiVolt:

Don't upgrade. Worst upgrade ever. I had issues upgrading before, but it was technical issues, mostly on Apple's server side. This upgrade pretty much makes anything less than an iPhone 5 useless.

iPhone4's barely get any new features in iOS6, so there's no real pressing need to upgrade, that's until apps start requiring it, which is still gonna be quite a while. Honestly I wonder why they even bothered supporting the 3GS with this.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I wish there was a way to clear the update badge without JBing.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to skeechan

Not sure if it's because I upgraded early or was just lucky but I have not had any problems with the App Store updating things, a few timeout but that was probably to be expected around upgrade time. The App Store interface has not seemed glacially slow on my iPhone 4S. I like that I can finally update apps without having to type my password, and it doesn't kick me out of the store when I click update all.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by HiVolt:

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

People argue why spend the money in infrastructure for a single day, abnormal load... my reply is spread the roll-out out then. But no, Apple probably likes to gloat that demand was so high it brought their servers down. Still bad for an IT company though.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

While I had problems off and on connecting to the iTunes store yesterday on my iPhone4 running 5.1.1...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I'll make the argument Nezmo was mentioning...

What do you do with the extra resources to cover launch day the other 364 days out of the year? It just sits there wasting space, energy, and money.

That being said, I agree the rollout should be gradual. But then people would complain that they have to wait. Can't make everybody happy.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Thinkdiff

They constantly add capacity anyway... So add more for a huge launch day so you have ample capacity, then when the load decreases reassign the servers to do something else like icloud.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.

Not all of their problems are content distribution. AFAIK, most iTunes content (including the iOS firmware files) are not actually hosted from Apple's servers. But eventually, every iOS device has to connect back to Apple. They're not going to keep the master iTunes/App Store/Signing server databases on third-party servers.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff

The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Dar al-Harb

said by skeechan:

The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Then people will complain that a certain app they want isn't upgraded yet. You can't please everyone, no matter what you do.
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving a cross”

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to dtheduke

said by dtheduke:

Yeah this update is pretty buggy. I like to listen to podcasts and the new podcasts app that was upgraded for ios 6 is garbage. In ios 5 if the podcasts app didnt work i could just use itunes but you cant do that now. You are stuck with their crappy podcast app. Man apple is a bettr company than this!!!!!

Not sure how much this will help you but there's an update to the Podcasts app.

Personally, I bought Downcast after trying the Apple Podcasts app on iOS 5.1. Much happier.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to skeechan

A6 makes pOS6 way snappier, night and day compared to the A4 and yay, unlike iPhone 4, iPhone 5 can play the same 1080P rips used by my iPad 3...no more having to make 2 rips (except for Android which chokes on everything I rip)