Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

As I mentioned earlier, it's too pretty for its own good. The functionality is gone from the store.

More importantly is this will HAMMER developers. Who is going to scroll through 1000 results 4 apps at a time? No one. They're going to go through the first few and pick something. Before devs had a better shot on being seen, at least on iPad where you were shown 12 apps per screen instead of just 4.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

There will surely be updates within a few weeks... I'm sticking to iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone4 and iPad3...

Don't upgrade. Worst upgrade ever. I had issues upgrading before, but it was technical issues, mostly on Apple's server side. This upgrade pretty much makes anything less than an iPhone 5 useless.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to skeechan

to skeechan
I feel your pain, but I searched for you tube and it came right up as the first option. That was after installing ios6 yesterday morning.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
For me it required mirroring so it wouldn't run at a native resolution in my ATV3s. They were scaled and looked really bad. I also got titlebars instead of true full screen. On my iPhone 4 it said this device can only play sound over airplay. Meanwhile the native app plays full screen airplay to my ATV3 no problem.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

For my iPad, I put an m.youtube.com Safari bookmark on my homescreen where I've logged in and have access to my subscriptions, new vids, etc. In full screen.

Let me ask you this.

Are you saying that when you watch a YouTube video in Safari "full screen", you don't see the tabs at the top? I ask because I find the tabs and stuff very annoying and distracting when watching a video.

BTW, I think I found a few more bugs. Whenever I open more then 9 tabs in Safari the keyboard pops up with no space bar. If the keyboard is already up it will refresh without the space bar.

If I am gong to post and erase a line of text in the text box the page jumps to the top of the page and stays there.

I think I'll stick with iOS 6 for now on my new iPad but I'm not happy with it. The App Store is jacked-up, clunky, ugly (IMO) and slow,...

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by HiVolt:

There will surely be updates within a few weeks... I'm sticking to iOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone4 and iPad3...

Don't upgrade. Worst upgrade ever. I had issues upgrading before, but it was technical issues, mostly on Apple's server side. This upgrade pretty much makes anything less than an iPhone 5 useless.

iPhone4's barely get any new features in iOS6, so there's no real pressing need to upgrade, that's until apps start requiring it, which is still gonna be quite a while. Honestly I wonder why they even bothered supporting the 3GS with this.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I wish there was a way to clear the update badge without JBing.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Not sure if it's because I upgraded early or was just lucky but I have not had any problems with the App Store updating things, a few timeout but that was probably to be expected around upgrade time. The App Store interface has not seemed glacially slow on my iPhone 4S. I like that I can finally update apps without having to type my password, and it doesn't kick me out of the store when I click update all.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by HiVolt:

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

People argue why spend the money in infrastructure for a single day, abnormal load... my reply is spread the roll-out out then. But no, Apple probably likes to gloat that demand was so high it brought their servers down. Still bad for an IT company though.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

While I had problems off and on connecting to the iTunes store yesterday on my iPhone4 running 5.1.1...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I'll make the argument Nezmo was mentioning...

What do you do with the extra resources to cover launch day the other 364 days out of the year? It just sits there wasting space, energy, and money.

That being said, I agree the rollout should be gradual. But then people would complain that they have to wait. Can't make everybody happy.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
They constantly add capacity anyway... So add more for a huge launch day so you have ample capacity, then when the load decreases reassign the servers to do something else like icloud.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to darcilicious

MVM,

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.

Not all of their problems are content distribution. AFAIK, most iTunes content (including the iOS firmware files) are not actually hosted from Apple's servers. But eventually, every iOS device has to connect back to Apple. They're not going to keep the master iTunes/App Store/Signing server databases on third-party servers.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Then people will complain that a certain app they want isn't upgraded yet. You can't please everyone, no matter what you do.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to dtheduke

Premium Member

to dtheduke
said by dtheduke:

Yeah this update is pretty buggy. I like to listen to podcasts and the new podcasts app that was upgraded for ios 6 is garbage. In ios 5 if the podcasts app didnt work i could just use itunes but you cant do that now. You are stuck with their crappy podcast app. Man apple is a bettr company than this!!!!!

Not sure how much this will help you but there's an update to the Podcasts app.

Personally, I bought Downcast after trying the Apple Podcasts app on iOS 5.1. Much happier.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

A6 makes pOS6 way snappier, night and day compared to the A4 and yay, unlike iPhone 4, iPhone 5 can play the same 1080P rips used by my iPad 3...no more having to make 2 rips (except for Android which chokes on everything I rip)

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
What do you expect for $500?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Google Play works great.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It's hard for me to find stuff (eg largely irrelevant search results) with Google play and the interface doesn't make efficient use of space.

Also certain apps are only available for certain devices even when running the same OS. Sirius for example was out for everything but my Galaxy S for well over a year. Also no paypal, at least when I set up my account...you have to use wallet.
skeechan

skeechan

Premium Member

Thumbs up for ear pods, sound pretty good for 'included' headphones.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Marketing. This way they can say the demand was so high it crashed the servers.

Elk_hunter77
@comcastbusiness.net

Elk_hunter77 to skeechan

Anon

to skeechan
I'm with skeechan, I can feel your anger flowing. I am enraged as well at this crap. How did you downgrade back to iOS5? I have an iPhone 4 and want desperately to get rid of iOS6. How'd you do it?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Unless you've saved your SHSH blobs (if you don't know what that means already, you haven't saved them) or run Cydia while jailbroken on 5.1/5.1.1, there's no way to downgrade now. You're stuck at iOS 6
andychrist
join:2005-02-12
Germantown, NY

2 edits

andychrist to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

On the iPad, mobile youtube isn't scaling to full screen correctly for vids that do scale, I still have the safari bar (it's not true fullscreen).

Know you have already downgraded, but imagine you should be able to play YouTube full screen in any browser that supports that mode, such as Atomic Web or iCab Mobile. Same goes for Google's Maps, of course.

Have yet to upgrade myself, will take a mosey over to the local Apple Store first to see whether I'd prefer iOS 6 over 5 on the new iPad.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I don't know why Youtube behaved differently. Normally HTML5 MP4 videos do switch to full screen but this played in a full browser window after pressing their full screen button so I was still stuck with the browser bar. It wasn't a true full screen mode, it was just a fill the browser with a video frame mode. Also the mirroring requirement for airplay really sucks. It's like faux play.
Expand your moderator at work