The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to HiVolt

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

said by HiVolt:

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

People argue why spend the money in infrastructure for a single day, abnormal load... my reply is spread the roll-out out then. But no, Apple probably likes to gloat that demand was so high it brought their servers down. Still bad for an IT company though.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

While I had problems off and on connecting to the iTunes store yesterday on my iPhone4 running 5.1.1...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

I'll make the argument Nezmo was mentioning...

What do you do with the extra resources to cover launch day the other 364 days out of the year? It just sits there wasting space, energy, and money.

That being said, I agree the rollout should be gradual. But then people would complain that they have to wait. Can't make everybody happy.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Thinkdiff

They constantly add capacity anyway... So add more for a huge launch day so you have ample capacity, then when the load decreases reassign the servers to do something else like icloud.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.

Not all of their problems are content distribution. AFAIK, most iTunes content (including the iOS firmware files) are not actually hosted from Apple's servers. But eventually, every iOS device has to connect back to Apple. They're not going to keep the master iTunes/App Store/Signing server databases on third-party servers.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Thinkdiff

The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Dar al-Harb

said by skeechan:

The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Then people will complain that a certain app they want isn't upgraded yet. You can't please everyone, no matter what you do.
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving a cross”

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to dtheduke

said by dtheduke:

Yeah this update is pretty buggy. I like to listen to podcasts and the new podcasts app that was upgraded for ios 6 is garbage. In ios 5 if the podcasts app didnt work i could just use itunes but you cant do that now. You are stuck with their crappy podcast app. Man apple is a bettr company than this!!!!!

Not sure how much this will help you but there's an update to the Podcasts app.

Personally, I bought Downcast after trying the Apple Podcasts app on iOS 5.1. Much happier.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to skeechan

A6 makes pOS6 way snappier, night and day compared to the A4 and yay, unlike iPhone 4, iPhone 5 can play the same 1080P rips used by my iPad 3...no more having to make 2 rips (except for Android which chokes on everything I rip)

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to skeechan

What do you expect for $500?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to skeechan

Google Play works great.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

It's hard for me to find stuff (eg largely irrelevant search results) with Google play and the interface doesn't make efficient use of space.

Also certain apps are only available for certain devices even when running the same OS. Sirius for example was out for everything but my Galaxy S for well over a year. Also no paypal, at least when I set up my account...you have to use wallet.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to skeechan

Thumbs up for ear pods, sound pretty good for 'included' headphones.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Marketing. This way they can say the demand was so high it crashed the servers.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Elk_hunter77

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to skeechan

I'm with skeechan, I can feel your anger flowing. I am enraged as well at this crap. How did you downgrade back to iOS5? I have an iPhone 4 and want desperately to get rid of iOS6. How'd you do it?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Unless you've saved your SHSH blobs (if you don't know what that means already, you haven't saved them) or run Cydia while jailbroken on 5.1/5.1.1, there's no way to downgrade now. You're stuck at iOS 6
--

andychrist

join:2005-02-12
New York, NY

2 edits
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

On the iPad, mobile youtube isn't scaling to full screen correctly for vids that do scale, I still have the safari bar (it's not true fullscreen).

Know you have already downgraded, but imagine you should be able to play YouTube full screen in any browser that supports that mode, such as Atomic Web or iCab Mobile. Same goes for Google's Maps, of course.

Have yet to upgrade myself, will take a mosey over to the local Apple Store first to see whether I'd prefer iOS 6 over 5 on the new iPad.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I don't know why Youtube behaved differently. Normally HTML5 MP4 videos do switch to full screen but this played in a full browser window after pressing their full screen button so I was still stuck with the browser bar. It wasn't a true full screen mode, it was just a fill the browser with a video frame mode. Also the mirroring requirement for airplay really sucks. It's like faux play.

Expand your moderator at work

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to skeechan

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

said by skeechan:

A6 makes pOS6 way snappier, night and day compared to the A4 and yay, unlike iPhone 4, iPhone 5 can play the same 1080P rips used by my iPad 3...no more having to make 2 rips (except for Android which chokes on everything I rip)

Do you have to bash Android every chance you get? You might make some friends in the Apple forum, but not anywhere else. Besides, people who own other devices browse here to keep in tune with other tech. That's the case for me, besides owning 2 Macs. I will never own an iPhone again, personally. It just feels limited, which is fine for some, but I am not a typical user. Ever think you just had a crappy Android device? With a million manufacturers and models with different specs, there is bound to be some, but some are rock solid and kick the hell out of the iPhone in terms of speed. My relatively inexpensive Burst does just that(compared to the 4S that was out when I bought it, but not yet the 5). Plus, development support from the community let me fix the few issues I did have without waiting. I regularly stream x264 mkv files to it without a hiccup. Hence, my need to call you out on your Android bashing. No OS walks on water, so no need to be constantly bashing. iOS is not my taste, but you don't see me doing that. Apple is a good company and I love OS X(though Linux even better). I just wish they'd get away from suing and back to developing, like in the Jobs era(RIP).
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits

Android bash? It does choke on everything I rip. It is a convoluted mess. Welcome to ATM. You want to gWorship, there's a forum for that.

Perhaps you should actually read a few posts in my post history before lipping off. If you had bothered to read you would know I own multiple android devices including the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T, the best android tablet on the planet (IMHO) in addition to a Samsung Galaxy WiFi 5.0 and a Xoom WiFi...no I don't buy shit devices....they just come that way. You would know I browse the Android forum giving help when I can, not pissing on their parade about their choices like they do in ATM. You would know I have things I like about them like Motorola's support and things I don't like horrid language support on the Xoom and 5" Galaxy Player and sub-standard build quality. You may have come across my 2 reviews on android devices. But alas, you can't be bothered with such trivial things like actually looking at a post history before commenting on a post history.

Meanwhile, did you so quickly forget what the title of this thread is? Did you so quickly forget who started this thread? And there are no shortage of threads like it. When something sucks like pOS6, I'm not going to sugar coat it. And the thread title I made pretty clear. If you are so easily offended, you are free to skip it.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to Selenia

said by Selenia:

said by skeechan:

Do you have to bash Android every chance you get? You might make some friends in the Apple forum, but not anywhere else. Besides, people who own other devices browse here to keep in tune with other tech. That's the case for me, besides owning 2 Macs. I will never own an iPhone again, personally. It just feels limited, which is fine for some, but I am not a typical user. Ever think you just had a crappy Android device? With a million manufacturers and models with different specs, there is bound to be some, but some are rock solid and kick the hell out of the iPhone in terms of speed. My relatively inexpensive Burst does just that(compared to the 4S that was out when I bought it, but not yet the 5). Plus, development support from the community let me fix the few issues I did have without waiting. I regularly stream x264 mkv files to it without a hiccup. Hence, my need to call you out on your Android bashing. No OS walks on water, so no need to be constantly bashing. iOS is not my taste, but you don't see me doing that. Apple is a good company and I love OS X(though Linux even better). I just wish they'd get away from suing and back to developing, like in the Jobs era(RIP).

Hesmadbro....

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

2 edits
reply to skeechan

No I just been watching your posting for a while. I been a lurker and occasional poster here for a long time. I noticed your habit more than once. If you would said X model phone chokes on everything you rip then it would be factual. Just like it would be factual to say the original iPhone chokes on everything I rip but would not be true for the iPhone 5. But to say Android chokes on everything you rip is making the same kind of broad generalization as saying iphones choke on everything I rip, even though that would only be true for older generation iPhones. That kind of thing is more hardware and codec dependent. It is not so much a factor of the operating system. Maybe the fact that I installed a high quality codec on my phone helps. The dual core 1.5 gigahertz processor probably doesn't hurt either.

Actually if you're going to write me off as a fan of anything, write me off as a fan of BSD and Linux. In my honest opinion, Android is the biggest mess to come from Unix roots. But it is manageable for me and configurable enough unlike other things, for me. So I m sticking with it until something better comes along.
--

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Then you obviously haven't been lurking long enough. I've explained on multiple occasions in various threads the circumstances where I have trouble with video on Android.

Meanwhile don't forget this is ATM. If you want to read about my experiences and reviews about Android, go to the Android forum. I'm not going to go in depth about transcoding for Android, getting language support on my devices, Android frame dropping like a big dog, rooting my devices, getting them updated to JB, or anything else in ATM.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

Read the last paragraph I added to get some perspective about me. I ripped the same for all my devices. High quality mkv files encoded at 720 or 1080p(depends how much space I wanna devote to a video) using the X264 codec. As I said this has little to do with the operating system and more to do with the hardware and codecs. The included codecs on Android vary greatly, but fortunately can be substituted for something better. It's the same on all iPhones. Luckily, they have decent codec support built for their hardware. Not sure if you can upgrade the codec support on an iPhone because I've never seen anybody try. On Android it's an easy fix if it's in fact broken by your manufacturer.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

That's the thing...I'm not interested in having to "fix" Android. It should play high profile 1080P MKV or 1080P MP4 out of the box without frame dropping like a big dog and it does neither. 1080P MP4 files my iPhone 5 play without issue, my TF700 with it's 1.6GHz quad core T33 can't. My library is largely MP4 and everything I own plays 1080P MP4 without issue, iPhone 5, Apple TV, Mac mini, iPad, HTPC, streaming set top boxes...everything else works. I don't give a shit why Android can't get it done and I have no interest in re-encoding everything merely suit my Android devices. I don't want 4 copies of everything, one for my Samsung, another for my Xoom, yet another for my Transformer and a 4th good copy for EVERYTHING else. My library takes up enough space as it is.

But transcoding for Android is a discussion for the Android forum...not the pOS6 blows goats thread.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

I realize that's the topic. But you are the OP and the CONTENT of your posts further determines the direction of a thread. The content of your posts sort of turns it into a pOS6 blows but Android still blows even more thread, which would likely be better suited to the general cellphone forum, rather than the Apple one. You could do 2 separate topics, both in the Apple and Android forum as well. You'd likely be criticized over there for not doing something right, like some critics of iOS get over here. However, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it's sound technical advice that might help you. I can't help you with iOS6 as I have not used it yet. I could likely help with Android. No hard feelings. Just giving my opinion on your posts and my experience.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

There is no fixing the Android problem. The only solution for that particular Android problem is transcoding or re-encoding my sizable library which I'm not willing to do.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
Fort Smith, AR

That is where you are wrong. Try mxplayer(much better than stock player) with the appropriate codec for your ARM processor version. Solves codex support issues for my Burst and my hubby's Galaxy S(original), with their less than stellar codec support. Some phones do have better built-in codec support. If you need dlna for streaming, BubbleUPnP works seamless with my media server and mxplayer.

No transcoding or reencoding here.