All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cronk
join:2005-07-16

Cronk

Removing old Java versions

I frequently come across computers with multiple versions of Java installed. Is it true that the old installed versions are still a security risk?

If so, I'd like to remove the old versions, but I am usually concerned that an application that uses the old version may break, and not work with the current Java version. I am wondering if people here have had that happen. I am guessing that is why Java does not remove the old version as it installs the new version.

Thanks

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

Have you tried JavaRa? Worked for me.

The only reason I have Java is to run RSSOwl.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
said by Cronk:

I frequently come across computers with multiple versions of Java installed. Is it true that the old installed versions are still a security risk?

If so, I'd like to remove the old versions, but I am usually concerned that an application that uses the old version may break, and not work with the current Java version. I am wondering if people here have had that happen. I am guessing that is why Java does not remove the old version as it installs the new version.

Thanks

Your guess is right. The only time such a broken-apps problem will occur is if an older Java function is removed or significantly modified in a later Java version and the old Java version removed, but I've never experienced such a problem myself. It's more likely to occur in a financial/industrial/educational-institution/scientific setting where the Java apps tend to be more complex (sometimes extremely so) and which often use more obscure Java functions and code techniques in unusual ways than do the Java apps encountered on a typical ordinary website.

For the average user, the very real security risks of retaining an old Java version will far outweigh any risks of breaking some app that he is likely to encounter. The way Java is installed (in parallel, stand-alone forms by version), any old Java currently installed on a system can be specifically called up by web code, including the exploitation of any vulnerabilities within that old version.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
I don't remove old versions because they can wreck havoc when you try, many cannot be removed even by JavaRa, and applications that home users may very well have can be broken along with the inability to ever get the versions 6.x off and no subsequent ability to install a current version. I think the best thing to do, if you need Java (I require it) is to enable it only for IE as you cannot enable older versions with Fx or Opera now and Opera no longer has it built in which was fantastic when they did and a major reason I liked Opera. Don't haveJava routinely enabled though for IE which will allow (at least IE6, 7 and 8 will) you to use very old versions. Keep the check box to enable it, in the control panel, UNchecked until you need it. Then enable it and unable it when finished. Don't use IE for other things.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

The best way to remove old versions is just DELETE THE FOLDERS and clear your reg of any entries left by the older version....

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

jabarnut to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk

Re: Removing old Java versions

I always *completely* remove the version of Java I presently have before installing the latest version. I've been doing that forever now. (I always have the latest version, and only the latest version).
I've never encountered a problem, even on some older machines I have.
I'm not saying it isn't possible a particular app may 'break', but it's never happened to me.
Old versions of Java are like Swiss cheese when it comes to security risks. (Heh...so are new versions, for that matter).
But I always have their 'latest and greatest' installed, and no others.
Nor have I ever had a problem installing the newest version.
If it were me, in your case I'd get rid of all of them (if necessary), and then reinstall just the latest version....but that's just me.
Cronk

Cronk

Thanks for the input.

I work with a few real estate agents and they rely on ZipForms in their work, and it uses Java. Rather than take a chance on breaking a mission critical application, I 've been leaving old Java versions untouched.
Then on some computers, there may be applications I am not familiar with, and I am uncertain if they use Java. Is there a way to find out how many applications on a computer are using Java?

Thanks

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Cronk

Premium Member

to Cronk
Once removed: do you need Java

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

Once removed: do you need Java

Yes for me at work.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Sorry you require Java at work. Since I've been running Win 7, I've found no compelling reason to install Java.
But that's just me. After many a year fussing with it, I've completely opted out of the nuisance.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle

Premium Member

I keep it on the computer exclusively for LibreOffice. It's disabled in my browsers.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
At a business, I found that an older version of Java was installed in a bin folder of an application called PetPortals. I am going to suggest to the owner that the entire application be uninstalled, since he has indicated that he does not intend to do business again with the service that installed the application. I think uninstalling would be good, since the application has a log file that shows it is "phoning home" each day.

JavRa does not remove this older copy of Java, perhaps because it is not installed in the Programs folder. Apart from that version of Java, there is the current version installed but all browsers have Java disabled.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to siljaline

to siljaline

Well you must not play any java games right? (Or use anything that uses java applets)

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Nope, 19579823 See Profile if I was a gamer, it would be all on an Xbox or Wii. Not missing those Applet's

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

I think he means games like pogo

»www.pogo.com/misc/sun-ja ··· test.jsp

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to Cronk

MVM

to Cronk

For removing old versions of Java, I always uninstall the newest versions first, and then come time to remove the oldest (and last version) installed on the system I use Revo Uninstaller followed by JavaRa to clean out Java completely. Then, I install the latest version.

What does break Java, however is if you try to remove or upgrade it while it is used in any way, shape, or form or if you improperly install it by pushing it through corporate computer management software. That hoses it enough to where you have no choice but to delete it from the registry and hard disk by hand, which is a chore.

Ideally, don't use the Java updater. Remove old versions of Java before installing the latest and check to see if any components are in use BEFORE updating/removing Java. I think they finally did something about that though in Java 7, but it still has a ways to go.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

Re:  

said by Name Game:

I think he means games like pogo
»www.pogo.com/misc/sun-ja ··· test.jsp

It's up to 19579823 See Profile to let us in his inner gaming sanctum.
Cronk

Cronk to Smith6612

to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

check to see if any components are in use BEFORE updating/removing Java.

How do you do this?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

That's I'm not aware of entirely. My quick way of doing so is to see if "javaw.exe" is running as a process. Another thing to check is the Java updater, which sits in the Taskbar. Also, if the web browser is open that's another thing to pay attention to since it could have called it. Most definitely, it has a plugin loaded into it which the uninstaller will grab and possibly mess up over.