share rss forum feed

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..

[DSL] Is there any point upgrading my service?

Hi everyone.
I've recently signed up for TekSavvy's 6mbps DSL service. I'm actually getting 3mbps:

Uptime: 0 days, 15:55:17
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 3.008
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 19,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,0 / 45,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13,0 / 6,5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4.808
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7

I know the problem is my noisy POTS line. There's a constant "mains hum" on the line and it isn't coming from my house. I've unconnected my entire phone network and connected a phone directly on the demark outside my house, then the DSL modem and I could still hear the hum and I was still limited to 3008/800.

I'm wondering, with such a bad phone line, if there is any point for me to try to subscribe to a 10-15mbps service... I've checked on Bell's and TekSavvy's web site and they both say that service up to 25mbps is available at my address. I'm just worried that they'll set me up with a more expensive connection and I'll still be limited to 3mbps...

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
kudos:1
Sounds like you could open a ticket about a noisy line. With your Attenuation numbers, you should be easily able to max out the 6mb plan...

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to JeanInNepean
yea you are probably on a 3mb default profile. The line should handle 6mb no problem, often even with hums on it.
EDIT but the SNR on the downstream is bad, so if you can get the hum fixed, you can get the 6mb.

--

OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
reply to BrianV
I've opened a ticket. TekSavvy had Bell look into the issue. My RCO is apparently at 97% downstream. My DSLAM is located ~1.2km from my house (direct flight); the TekSavvy tech I spoke with estimated my wires are more like 4.0km long...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by JeanInNepean:

My DSLAM is located ~1.2km from my house (direct flight); the TekSavvy tech I spoke with estimated my wires are more like 4.0km long...

Decent chance you're connected to the CO and not the RDSLAM then.

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
It could very well be. I actually have no way of telling. I was assuming my digital line would have been terminated or at least repeated at the local exchange.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
said by JeanInNepean:

It could very well be. I actually have no way of telling. I was assuming my digital line would have been terminated or at least repeated at the local exchange.

You either have a trouble on the line or your far away... by looking at the attenuation, you seem far.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bt
said by bt:

said by JeanInNepean:

My DSLAM is located ~1.2km from my house (direct flight); the TekSavvy tech I spoke with estimated my wires are more like 4.0km long...

Decent chance you're connected to the CO and not the RDSLAM then.

No way a TSI client connected at the CO and not at the RDSLAM...never heard of that before

You might get lucky and moved by request but that is only if there is loads of free space on the RDSLAM closer to your house and Bell is feeling generous. Either way keep us updated as to how it goes.

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
reply to JeanInNepean
Thanks for all the responses, but none of these answer my question... If I upgrade my service to 10-15mbps, will I be able to get those speeds or will I be still limited to 3mbps because of the poor line quality?

kovy7

What does your area qualify on the bell site or teksavvy estimation ?

bknonix

join:2012-09-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to JeanInNepean
Before considering a speed upgrade, get the hum in the line fixed first. Hum is bad, no matter how you look at it.

One thing for you to confirm is what happens with just the modem plugged directly into the demarc point. Do a sync and speedtest under those conditions. If possible, disconnect the house wiring from the demar too. Just to make sure it is not something in the house or equipment. If this is the case, if you do not already have one, TSI can point you to where you can get a signal splitter that I have seen really help, even with good connections.

Now, also go to Bell.ca and go through the setup a new line process, where you can enter your telephone number for service. If you get the 18 or 25 meg service offerings, then there is a good chance that things can be made much better with some pushing of Bell, if those do not present, then you could be fighting a loosing battle until those services are available in your area.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by bknonix:

Hum is bad, no matter how you look at it.

My line humms, snaps, crackles and pops but I still get 25dB SNRM with 54 days uptime, so I would be more worried about Bell messing up my DSL if I called them to fix voice than the noise itself.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
reply to JeanInNepean
I don't see 6Meg happening on that line unless the OP gets moved to a remote. You'd have to get a pristine wire pair at that distance to get a stable 6Meg profile, even with that interleave profile.

29/45dBm? That's ~4km of wire.

anon234

@teksavvy.com
reply to JeanInNepean
Put in a ticket with Bell for the noisy POTS line.
If all goes well your DSL will be fixed at the same time.

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to kovy7
When I check with TekSavvy, I can apparently get the 6, 10, 15 or 25mbps plan. Bell says I can get 5/1, 15/10 or 25/10... Unless they rip out my wires and install new ones, or they reconnect me to a closer RDSLAM, I don't see how I could get to 15 or 25mbps. But if they are going to reconnect me to a closer RDSLAM, why wouldn't they do it right away so that I may actually get 5 or 6mbps with my current plan??

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to bknonix
I did just that a few days ago. Went outside, unplugged the wires at the demark and plugged in the modem directly into the lines. I was getting 3008/800 (marginally better than the 2944/800 I was getting inside). Bell reconfigured my line a couple of days later and now I'm getting 3008/800 inside and my RCO is down to 97% instead of 100%...

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to JeanInNepean
Bell will prioritize users who want the higher speed plans. It sucks because it's common.

If you'd order 15 or 25, then to be able to provide you that service they'd wold connect you to the remote rather then the CO as the distance would matter.

MajorPewPew

join:2010-09-19
said by TSI Martin:

Bell will prioritize users who want the higher speed plans. It sucks because it's common.

If you'd order 15 or 25, then to be able to provide you that service they'd wold connect you to the remote rather then the CO as the distance would matter.

a.k.a MOAR MONEY = MOAR SPEED
--
Feel the SPEED, the SPEED!!!

JeanInNepean

Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Martin
Thanks Martin.

kovy7

reply to JeanInNepean
said by JeanInNepean:

When I check with TekSavvy, I can apparently get the 6, 10, 15 or 25mbps plan. Bell says I can get 5/1, 15/10 or 25/10... Unless they rip out my wires and install new ones, or they reconnect me to a closer RDSLAM, I don't see how I could get to 15 or 25mbps. But if they are going to reconnect me to a closer RDSLAM, why wouldn't they do it right away so that I may actually get 5 or 6mbps with my current plan??

Then there's obviously a reason why you can get 25 mbps, you have a remote near your home.

There's plenty of reason why Bell won't put you on a remote now, the biggest one is you're not paying for an access to it. You need to get a faster plan in order to put you on this remote... they can't put everyone on the remote since there's no unlimited ports available. So people who don't pay for faster plans usually don't get connected on remote unless the remote is empty or just simple lucky.