All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elconcho
join:2007-03-03
Toronto, ON

elconcho

[Extreme Plus] Rogers Ultimate - which modem to rent?

Hi all,
Couldn't find this elsewhere.

I'm in Toronto and have Ultimate. I currently get 70mbits/2mbits service. I know 150mbit/10mbit service is coming and according to rogers i'll "just get it" once it's available in my area.

I have the craptastic SMC modem and I'm renting. Is there a better modem that Rogers is currently issuing that I should walk into my local Rogers store and swap for? The SMC is holding together but i've read some conflicting info on this forum about whether it will be capable of 150/10.

Thanks.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Best advice: Stick with what you have till you actually need to buy a new one. From all reports the new Hitron is plagued with problems. The Cisco DPC3825 should be replaced with a newer 2013 model soon and you have the infamous SMC.

Rogers will likely need to provision a new Gateway in the near future unless they want to go broke replacing/maintaining their current offerings.

Hold tight and see which way the wind blows.............
elconcho
Toronto, ON

elconcho

Thanks, sounds like sage advice.

My primary concern was that the new service will be quietly rolled out in my area and I just won't get it because I have and SMC held together with bailing wire and duct tape.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

Knowing Rogers, when the new tiers/speeds come on line they'll have it plastered all over everywhere. Even a blind man won't be able to miss it..........who knows? Rogers just might finally provision a standalone top quality Docsis 3 modem and shock the heck out of all of us......

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to elconcho

MVM

to elconcho
The following 2 gateways are excellent DOCSIS 3.0 modems when bridged.

The CISCO DPC3825 Or the HITRON CGN2. Both can bond 8 channels downstream and 4 channel upstream so they both are more than capable in handling 150/10 +++

Both are gateways which mean they have additional functions and both can be bridged which removes the additional functions to focus strictly as cable modems. The additional functions have many issues which is why many people turn those functions of by using the bridging capability.

Rogers Agent
@eastlink.ca

Rogers Agent

Anon

Whomever you spoke to @ rogers fooled you when they said that you would be upgraded 'automatically'.

Ultimate - 75 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up - $99.99 / Month
(Possibly 10 Mbps Upload if you're in a 64 QAM area with bonded upstream channels)

New Ultimate - 150 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up - $122.99 / Month

Just an FYI.

What area are you in? Their is a list that I have I found online as to which nodes will be upgraded and approx when.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to elconcho

Premium Member

to elconcho
Only the 8 channel modems I believe will be supported for the new Ultimate service.
elconcho
Toronto, ON

elconcho to Rogers Agent

to Rogers Agent
The rep I spoke to said that my pricing would be grandfathered and my service would roll to the new speeds by the end of the year. There is no "new ultimate" package. This is what they do for mobile packages so I'm inclined to believe the rep.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to Rogers Agent

to Rogers Agent
said by Rogers Agent :

What area are you in? Their is a list that I have I found online as to which nodes will be upgraded and approx when.

Does the list include Brantford, and if so, what's the ETA there?

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx to elconcho

to elconcho
said by elconcho:

The rep I spoke to said that my pricing would be grandfathered and my service would roll to the new speeds by the end of the year.

So now Rogers is saying the 75/2 guys will get the 150/10 for $99 and everyone else pays $122.99?

Does that actually sound realistic to anybody?

In 10 years I've never seen Rogers grandfather prices on any NEW Internet tier. Sure, we've seen the odd downstream speed bump but a whole new tier for the old price? Can't see it.

Could just be me. I don't believe a word these reps are now saying..............
elconcho
Toronto, ON

elconcho to Rogers Agent

to Rogers Agent
said by Rogers Agent :

I'm in the Runnymede area