Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Zyncotl

Re: ios6 Maps is amazing!

They should do something!

Tsaukpaetra

@cox.net
reply to Metatron2008

Kinda funny on the argument about searching for "heathrow" in apple maps versus google (pages 2-3). I'm here in the US and I had to zoom into the US for it to stop suggesting the Heathrow Airport (apparently in the UK?) as the only logical place I would be looking for. To get it to mention the florida city, I had to wait for the suggestions to pop up.
Not really sure what all the hubaloo's about. Everything new has pros and cons guys, don't start killing people over it!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Metatron2008

Click for full size
I was impressed that my house was in a 3D area! I took this picture off an iPhone 5 at the Apple Store.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kearnstd

Mine doesn't work in android unless I'm on Wifi with my Cox service. My Mifi and Wimax give me 8-12Mb but periodically stop and start and the native Android Youtube app stops buffering after a while (like it thinks it's far enough ahead). It doesn't buffer the entire clip at least on my devices. So when I get a WiMax or LTE pause watching 1080 youtube videos I chew through my buffer quick and the video stops.

The native iOS app would buffer the whole clip. I am hoping the replacement version they will be pushing for iPad will be the same way. Already the iPhone one is worse with only mirroring support for Airplay. The native app would push HD video via airplay at true resolution without mirroring.

I watch a lot of j/k pop videos on youtube pushing them to an Apple TV and the loss of good airplay support is a real bummer. Navigating the youtube on Apple TV is a PITA.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Alright, while messing around with the maps app while waiting for my iphone to be bought, I got confused. How is this supposed to look good?

I zoomed in on manhattan and...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

It's the painted topology? Beta? Wishful thinking?

I don't bother with flyover. It's useless fluff.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

Kind of amazing they get it to work at all, if you ask me.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

It's the painted topology? Beta? Wishful thinking?

I don't bother with flyover. It's useless fluff.

It looks like Simcity 4 after a disaster happened...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

maybe the map has is showing images from the future, notice, messed up buildings and other superstructure, cars, trees, but NO PEOPLE!!! (or animals).
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to Metatron2008

»www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/tech/mobi···pt=hp_t3
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

they should unlock the iPhone and let users dual boot CM10.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

said by skeechan:

The Apple maps actually shows me accurate routing time which Google Maps NEVER did.

...said no one ever.

I updated to iOS 6 during our vacation in Southern CA. My wife did not. Side by side, Apple Maps had us at ~51 minutes to our destination while Google Maps (wife's phone on iOS 5) had us at 33 minutes.

This was during the late afternoon (5:45ish) and along a major interstate.

It took us 47 minutes.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

does the Appple map even adjust for traffic, historic or real time?
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I had Apple maps give me different routes to the same destination based on traffic, route 1 is whichever the shortest time is. But I don't use it for turn by turn so I don't know if it changes routes DURING routing. It also gets its updates much faster than the Google Map does by about 30 minutes which during rush hour is the difference between a 30min ride and a 1hr ride or whether I take the toll road or stick to the freeway. I could never use Google Maps for deciding which route to take.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

It's only faster because they are transmitting maps from the future. Obviously it's faster to get where you need due to everyone being dead.

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to Metatron2008

Nine pages on a topic that can be summed up in its specific entirety by saying ios6 Maps suck--big time, and Apple screwed the pooch big time by releasing the product as is. D-U-M-B!

As an addendum don't look for the major flaws and total overall repair to happen for the map system in the immediate future.

Coming to the iPhone 6, Apple's seventh iPhone, a new state of the art map system. If not, then there is all ways iphone 7 by which time one's modern most current smartphone subscription will be more than their monthly car payment and the one thing the Smartphone won't do is make or receive phone calls. LOL!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

My wife's phone just updated. I have to say I like that the screen rotation is by the compass, not the GPS heading.
--

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to Metatron2008

Tim Cook just sent out a letter to customers apologizing for the Apple maps mess.

quote:
To our customers,
At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.
We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.
There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.
While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.
Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.
Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO

Read more: »www.businessinsider.com/tim-cook···7liNU4fv

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

At least he owned up to the fact it wasn't good to start... SPJ would have said "you were mapping it wrong!" LOL

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to haroldo

Just read that. Funny how he has to mention how many devices are using iOS 6. So there you go, even Tim Cook says Maps is a dud.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to haroldo

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest

It would be nice if those apps were actually available outside the US.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

said by Riamen:

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest

It would be nice if those apps were actually available outside the US.

waze available?

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Yes Waze is available, at least in Canada it is.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to Metatron2008

I've been wondering how the maps improve with more use by users. If I search a location and it gives me the wrong place how does that get corrected in the database? I realize I'm ignorant here. I'm just very curious how the maps will improved from use because I've heard it stated many times now.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

You bring up a good point. I would imagine it would automatically send Apple your actual position via location services vs you search results.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

So there you go, even Tim Cook says Maps is a dud.

Just so everyone knows, statements like this is are why companies rarely, if ever, communicate with their customers in any kind of relevant fashion.

This negative attitude is annoying to me.

You don't like the new Maps app - that's fine. Apple's CEO is acknowledging the fact that lots of people have said something derogatory about it, not saying it sucks himself. I don't get why everyone tries to put words in people's mouths.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo:

I've been wondering how the maps improve with more use by users. If I search a location and it gives me the wrong place how does that get corrected in the database? I realize I'm ignorant here. I'm just very curious how the maps will improved from use because I've heard it stated many times now.

Waze is crowdsourced. Google has a report problems on its website. I actually reported a problem (wrong name of a town) and got a personalized email response 24 hours later.
--
Expand your moderator at work

labear

join:2002-10-26
reply to haroldo

Re: ios6 Maps is amazing!

Any way to turn off the alert on my Iphone 4 to upgrade to IOS6?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Not without JBing