Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: ios6 Maps is amazing!

North Huntington Beach (Boeing) to South Orange County. Google traffic wants to route me on SR22 all the time and I405 some of the time. And when I KNOW traffic is completely jammed it will call the route on SR22 east between I405 and I5 as being 10-15 minutes when it is closer to 40.

That route would get me there, but not in traffic. Google Maps FOR ME never calculates traffic times right and the traffic data is did have was always hours out of currency. Google Maps would say the road was wide open when there is a crash with 3 lanes shut. Go to Sigalert and it shows the accident was there for over an hour yet Google Maps didn't reflect it. Conversely Google Maps would claim there was an accident where there may have been one before but has long since cleared and traffic open.

Google Maps wouldn't send me to the moon...I would get to where I was going but it rarely would do so in the most efficient manner in terms of traffic routing. Traffic in LA and Orange County is HORRIBLE and makes a huge difference in figuring which way you are going to go.

I haven't used the Apple Maps for anything YET. I'm just sitting at my desk but I'm comparing its estimates to live traffic maps from CALTRANS and Sigalert and the times look very accurate.

I can't use Google Maps app any more but on Google Maps on the web it shows the route from Huntington Beach to Laguna Hills is best taken by I405 in 31 minutes. It says the SR73 would be 36 minutes but I know this not to be the case. SR73 is a toll road which NEVER has traffic while I405 is always busy particularly in Irvine to the I405, I5 merge. On no planet would I405 be 5 minutes faster than the 73 and more likely 15-20 minutes slower especially now at 3PM Pacific time. Google Maps may put the roads in the right place but traffic data is WAY too old to be of any use.

It's the traffic data that I need from Maps and Traffic data from Google in my area sucks wang.
skeechan

skeechan to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
Close but no.
skeechan

1 recommendation

skeechan to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
Here's a balloon too. Directions may be fine if you don't mine taking an extra hour to get somewhere.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

2 recommendations

Alcohol to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Close but no.

Right. Apple can do no wrong. All hail apple.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Guess you missed my other thread but don't let facts get in your way. Unlike some angry android users for frequently troll ATM, I'm objective and slam Apple when they F-up and praise them on the rare occasion they deserve praise.

You should learn to do the same.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Yeah, everyone else is wrong. Apple maps is great. All hail apple.
Alcohol

Alcohol to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
I found a great video. Rare to see people in the media know what they're talking about when it comes to technology.

»finance.yahoo.com/blogs/ ··· 509.html

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Click for full size
Google Maps Left, Sigalert Right
Click for full size
Apple Maps
Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about...delayed traffic reporting in Google Maps.

In the top pic is Google Maps on the left, Sigalert.com on the Right. Below is Apple Maps. Sigalert and Apple Maps show the onramp closure for West SR22 from Knott but Google doesn't. The closure didn't appear as of 30 minutes after the closure. I suspect it will appear but in another 15 or 20 minutes, too late if I were leaving work and getting the freeway. If I were relying on Google Maps, I would take from it that the ramp was wide open. Using Apple or Sigalert, I would know to take a different route to get on that freeway. Google WOULD get me there, but in this case only after a detour and a force route recalculation. Typically Google posts the stuff a good 30 minutes after it appears elsewhere.

Note the red line in the east direction is because the ramp is metered...there is a traffic light at the top of the ramp that lets 1 car onto the freeway at a time to regulate traffic flow. That isn't the closure. The closed ramp is the West bound side.

EDIT - on that other route, HB to LH, Apple is recommended SR73 while Google recommends I405 even when "avoid tolls" is unchecked. The Google route would be 15+ minutes longer. Sure, Google will get me there, but not the fastest or easiest way.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
I've been using the beta and now the full version and it works good for me

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to skeechan

MVM

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about...delayed traffic reporting in Google Maps.

In the top pic is Google Maps on the left, Sigalert.com on the Right. Below is Apple Maps. Sigalert and Apple Maps show the onramp closure for West SR22 from Knott but Google doesn't. The closure didn't appear as of 30 minutes after the closure. I suspect it will appear but in another 15 or 20 minutes, too late if I were leaving work and getting the freeway. If I were relying on Google Maps, I would take from it that the ramp was wide open. Using Apple or Sigalert, I would know to take a different route to get on that freeway. Google WOULD get me there, but in this case only after a detour and a force route recalculation.

Note the red line in the east direction is because the ramp is metered...there is a traffic light at the top of the ramp that lets 1 car onto the freeway at a time to regulate traffic flow. That isn't the closure. The closed ramp is the West bound side.

I'm happy it works well for you. Apparently for many it doesn't. It couldn't get me to my kids' school 1.5 miles away (I tried for grins). And the image quality that I have seen choosing many different locations is abysmal.

Hopefully in time it will improve. I hope that time is sooner rather than later.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It's release day. I'm having the same type of disappointment with Google's new Youtube for iOS app.
skeechan

skeechan to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
Who is everyone? I am part of everyone and don't have those problems they're reporting.

So you can give the claims of reporting on behalf of everyone a rest.
skeechan

skeechan to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
WAT U SAY! gFanboys claim that to be impossible. Some people report problems thus by their logic everyone is.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
double
ptrowski

ptrowski to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

Time to dust this baby off...

[att=1]

Apparently that horse has tried to use the Apple Maps app too.

You gotta admit, this maps app thing is pretty bad on Apple's part. But hey, we have fly-overs, kinda. Maybe fly-overs are there so we can get to those rooftop gas stations.

Yeah and iPhone v.1 didn't have copy and paste...that totally killed the product.

With all of the bullshit fighting with Google, this is a move they had to make and probably in a short timeframe. Perhaps they should have called this one a beta as well (like Siri), but I agree with just about everyone here that the maps are in need of tweaking.

I have done some informal testing here in LA and it's working pretty good for me compared to Google. I still have 5.x on my iPad for this very thing and Apple is keeping up with what I need it for.

Gizmodo actually has an interesting video posted where some searches, when put in perspective, lean in Apple's favor. Example: if you're searching for 'heathrow' you're sent to Heathrow, FL in iOS 6 instead of Heathrow Airport in London (with Google in 5.x). To me that makes sense if you live in the US...not so much if you're doing this search in the UK.

»gizmodo.com/5944960/appl ··· mparison

I would take a crazy guess that the vast majority of people in the US that put in the word Heathrow are looking for the airport, not Heathrow, FL. I am not sure what perspective you mean but boy is that weak.

Also consider the article ends with Google Maps can't come fast enough to iOS 6.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Who is everyone? I am part of everyone and don't have those problems they're reporting.

Not sure if you're being serious but every tech site has an article posted about how the new maps is inferior to google maps and some of these sites have insane amount of apple bias (note: all things d and gizmodo)

If you check twitter you'll see thousands of people complaining that basic information is wrong in the new maps. here's some funny ones »gizmodo.com/5944672/appl ··· ror-show

You can see the outrage on many sites that allow public commenting. The Verge, Techcrunch, BGR, Gizmodo, AllthingsD, Pocketnow, Slashgear, Cnet.. etc etc etc

Just because you have a good experience doesn't mean you are "part of everyone that doesn't have any problems".

Just remove your apple bais for a second and understand that this was not an upgrade. Google maps is better.

There are only three companies that i can think of that have the infrastructure for good mapping. They are, Google, Microsoft and Nokia.

Tomtom and other small companies cannot compete.

Not saying Apple can't improve it but they've been at it since 2006 and it sucks right now.
Alcohol

1 recommendation

Alcohol to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

I would take a crazy guess that the vast majority of people in the US that put in the word Heathrow are looking for the airport, not Heathrow, FL. I am not sure what perspective you mean but boy is that weak.

Also consider the article ends with Google Maps can't come fast enough to iOS 6.

International support as well as public transportation is nonexistent but fanboys won't be able to see that. It's a feature not a problem.
Alcohol

Alcohol to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

I've been using the beta and now the full version and it works good for me

isheep (not you) are reporting that there is no problem and all is good regardless of thousands of people reporting otherwise. Facts are irrelevant. You're probably doing/holding it wrong.

»www.tecca.com/news/2012/ ··· -errors/

How dare businesses challenge Apple by saying their businesses are incorrectly represented. And wrong directions? No way, Apple is right and the roads are wrong.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I am just referring to turn by turn. I agree 100% that most of this new maps app is screwed up.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
For YOU perhaps Google Maps is better. For ME it sucked ass.

I need accurate TRAFFIC routing which Google Maps doesn't do well for shit in my neck of the woods.

I don't care what OTHER people are doing. My stuff needs to work for ME and Apple Maps is one of the FEW things working fine...

...FOR ME...just in case those rose colored Googles had you missing it again.

dave49er
join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA

dave49er to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
I'm finally seeing some traffic info, but it only shows red, no yellow or green, and it's barely detectable.

Alcohol
Premium Member
Climax, MI

Alcohol to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

For YOU perhaps Google Maps is better. For ME it sucked ass.

I need accurate TRAFFIC routing which Google Maps doesn't do well for shit in my neck of the woods.

I don't care what OTHER people are doing. My stuff needs to work for ME and Apple Maps is one of the FEW things working fine...

...FOR ME...just in case those rose colored Googles had you missing it again.

Here's a cookie.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Great. Welcome to the minority.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn to BellBoy

MVM

to BellBoy
I commute to work by train, and the track shows on both Google Maps and Apple Maps. Google Maps showed my correct location, following the track. Apple Maps keeps trying to put me on nearby streets, so it has be swerving all over the place. It is giving priority to the map rather than to the actual, accurate GPS location. Fail.

Also, I am experiencing the same traffic results that others have reported. It started out showing only red, but now some yellow is starting to show. The only problem is, you can't really see the thin dashed lines they use for traffic. Not real handy when you are driving. It seems accurate for the red and yellow it does show. D+

Flyover is cool, but it is no substitute for Street View. C-
Overall, bring back Google Maps.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Again, says who? You polled every iOS6 maps user? People who complain complain loudly, those for which it works fine rarely say anything just like antennagate or missing NFC.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Antennagate, real. Missing NFC, real. iOS 6 Maps shitty, real. I have yet to speak with anyone that likes it better than google. Looks at the users here, you are in the minority. It's a half baked piss poor replacement that Apple hoped users would be wowed by Flyover. Amazingly people don't drive to work in flying cars.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

I like it better than Google. Google traffic didn't work for me. Flyover is dumb. NFC is a solution in search of a problem and antennagate overblown. I have a flying car. Gotta hit fedex before the cutoff. I'll enjoy my cookie on the way.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
You know I bet Apple maps works beautifully in just a very short while ... And quite frankly it's pretty damn good right now.
Now correct me if I'm wrong but Google products are perfect from day one, or in realality did Gmail spend like 20 years in beta.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
That last airport is Pearson International, Toronto. No, it's not that bumpy. Just another example of a bad product.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Google may have already submitted their maps app for approval while Apple spins their beta software as a work in progress.

»www.iclarified.com/24616 ··· approval

So I guess those people having troubles with the maps are holding it right...the maps app just sucks