uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Delco24

Re: Aquarium Load on Floor

I have had fish for coming on 20 years now; never had a meaningful leak, and never had damage caused by water or weight...

My current setup is a 45 gallon bow-front tank... About 75# of gravel, another 15-20# in decorative stone, 50# for the stand, ditto for the tank... Oh yeah, and 390# of water... So right around 600 pounds for the whole deal. Very compariable to the OP's setup...

No concerns with the weight, or the flooring; assuming everything is proper now. Also no concerns with damage, as long as you're careful... A towel or two, using something like a python for cleaning, etc... No issues at all!

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to boogi man
said by boogi man:

the weight of the whole operation will not be spread evenly but through the points of contact from the stand. assuming 2x4 legs gives you roughly 21sq inches

The OP said, "The stand I'm getting would distribute the load across the entire 48" length of the tank (as opposed to one with just four legs)."

I misread that as indicating a platform base, i.e. a plane distributing the load uniformly over the entire area of the base.

Let's guess that the stand is made of 3/4" something-or-other and that this stuff forms a perimeter base with no cross-supports in the center.

48" + 48" + 12" + 12" = 120" perimeter

120" * 0.75" = 90 sq in

650 lb. / 90 sq in = 7.2 psi

I doubt that's much of a concern and at this point it's probably academic anyway.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

boogi man

join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL
kudos:1
ahh thank you i missed that detail when i first read his post.
--
my site