scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to cowboyro

to cowboyro

Re: Need some plumbers opinions.

said by cowboyro:

One word: WANT.
Not all people need to save water. In many places water is too cheap and too abundant to worry. Even a 30min shower would take far less water than what is needed for 1 day of lawn irrigation.

One word: MARKETING. And another word: SUCKER! Despite what the warranty says, I suspect that there may never be a day where this thing DOESN'T leak from somewhere.

I live on top of one of the best and largest aquifer systems in the world, plus next to the Mississippi River and several smaller rivers, so water here is abundant and cheap. Yet we are constantly reminded not to waste it, and they bend over backwards to protect the aquifers - to the point of stopping you if you try to build the wrong type of facility at a geographic point where contamination would be easy. So we all try to be good citizens about this.

On the other hand, I was in Chicago last year (near the lakefront) and my hotel's shower put out so much water that it nearly knocked me off my feet. And I'm not gonna lie about it - it felt good, man, it felt good!
scross

scross to robbin

to robbin
A closer look at the specs shows 2.5 gpm for EACH large head, and 1.75 gpm for EACH small head. So that's potentially 12 gpm with everything running at full blast. Not exactly "low flow", now is it?
scross

scross to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Scross, the shower heads probably can't all work at the same time.
A bit like a typical shower and the bathtub faucet, it's one or the other, not both.

There are four separate controls for six heads, so some are shared, obviously, but I don't know that they are flow-limited or switched. I haven't seen an operations manual for it yet, though, so I may be wrong.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to cowboyro

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Even a 30min shower would take far less water than what is needed for 1 day of lawn irrigation.

But what if you stripped off your clothes and took a shower under your lawn sprinklers?
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

A closer look at the specs shows 2.5 gpm for EACH large head, and 1.75 gpm for EACH small head. So that's potentially 12 gpm with everything running at full blast. Not exactly "low flow", now is it?

that's "low flow" per head. i came across info on something similar, and all the heads could be operated at once!., that was a selling point they made.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

I live on top of one of the best and largest aquifer systems in the world, plus next to the Mississippi River and several smaller rivers, so water here is abundant and cheap. Yet we are constantly reminded not to waste it, and they bend over backwards to protect the aquifers

Because it's much more profitable to charge the same for less. I could get flat rate water service if my need was much higher (the break-even point would be around 15,000gal/mo). Unless we are talking about a big city where water supply barely meets the demand, it's all BS. I have a reservoir about 1000ft away, I have never seen it not to be overflowing.

rbnice1
join:2000-12-16
Imperial, MO

rbnice1

Well the builder is taking care of it so its a moot point.

As to the water usage comments...... I sure hope it uses all at the same time if I want. I want total water immersion sometimes. Our water comes from the Mississippi, Missouri, and Meramec. Waste water is treated then returned to the river. Im not sure how my water usage really effects any of that. I would see if we lived in West Texas or Arizona or something.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to scross

Premium Member

to scross
Hell, Kohler has at least 2 shower heads that are rated at almost 10gpm. Using my 3 sprays is 7.5gpm. Unless your in an area that needs to conserve water, you can use as much as your willing to pay. Some of the lowflo w/c needs to be flushed multiple times .... where's any savings vs. older ones ... I've seen custom shower installs where they needed 1" mains directly from the w/h and main shutoff ....
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to iknow

to iknow
said by iknow:

that's "low flow" per head. i came across info on something similar, and all the heads could be operated at once!., that was a selling point they made.

IIRC, my low flow heads are 1.5 gpm, and AFAIK are required in this area, even though currently there is plenty of water to go around. I'm used to this flow rate now, but as I said, that one in Chicago was really nice!
scross

scross to cowboyro

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

Because it's much more profitable to charge the same for less. I could get flat rate water service if my need was much higher (the break-even point would be around 15,000gal/mo). Unless we are talking about a big city where water supply barely meets the demand, it's all BS. I have a reservoir about 1000ft away, I have never seen it not to be overflowing.

Actually, I do live in a major metropolitan area (tri-state, in fact, with multiple utility jurisdictions), so not only is there significant demand, there are also ongoing disputes about which jurisdictions have the rights to use how much of the water at whatever rates. And, having run the numbers, I believe that all of these utilities have determined that we might start running out of our very pure, "fossil" water sooner rather than later, meaning that they might have to invest in major upgrades in order to continue providing clean water at the rates they do now, so they are being very forward-looking here. Which is a good thing!
Expand your moderator at work