spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ekl
join:2012-09-16
l6c

ekl

[Extreme] weak signal issues

Will a weak signal cause my cable modem to reboot sporadically? If so, what could be done to fix this?

Thanks

Rogers Agent
@eastlink.ca

Rogers Agent

Anon

Yes it very well can cause the modem to go intermittent. Even if it appears online through the light pattern and within the cable modem itself, you could loose connectivity to headend you're connected to and/or the modem could loose it's lock on the headend.

What are the signals you have currently if you log into the modem?
ekl
l6c

ekl

My signals look fine but every hour or so my modem will reboot and I will need to do a power cycle to get it working again.

So would a speed booster solve the issue?

Rogers Agent
@eastlink.ca

Rogers Agent

Anon

Also, what modem do you have? & if you could post the Docsis logs from the modem that would give me a better Idea as to what you're looking as the issue!
Rogers Agent

Rogers Agent to ekl

Anon

to ekl
When you say 'Look Fine' ... what exactly do you mean by that? They have particular requirements to stay connected online. Can youpost a screen cap of what they look like, the SNR, etc from the mdm logs to make sure.

And by speed booster, are you taking about an In-Line Amplifier? Aka. Signal Booster?
ekl
l6c

ekl

I'm not home right now so I can't post stats right now. Yes I was referring to an in line amplifier. Would that improve a weak signal?

Rogers Agent
@eastlink.ca

Rogers Agent

Anon

Depends what the actual issue is. Tx (Upstream) Power levels need to be Between 36 DBmV and 54 DBmV for Docsis 3.0 Specs, and Rx (Downstream) Power levels need to be between 10 DBmV and -10DBmV.

If they're too high (I've seen 56+ easily cause the modem to reboot on its own or loose RF connectivity), or even if they're too high @ the tap and are showing ~25-30 for the Tx levels on the modem, you may need an attenuator, or an In-Line Amp or a tech may need to install a splitter & hook the mdm up to a powered leg on the output side.

Also when you look at the logs check the SNR, Docsis 3.0 Specs say it needs to be above 32. Anything around 32, or especially lower, could have some noise from the street / tap / plant coming in the line and it needs to be addressed.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

said by Rogers Agent :

Power levels need to be......

Thanks a million.........