Click for full size

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Ok...so we see no packet loss from the ping.
Your trace shows packets leaving the RR network at around 30 ms, with the rest of the latency in the level 3 portion of the trace.
Its a shame the actual server is not pingable.
The route from Buffalo to Rochester looks perfectly normal.

I am not really seeing an issue that can be fixed by support.

Hob
rizzo777
join:2012-09-17
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777

When I ping servers, it pings servers every so much of a fraction of a second. When I'm in a game, packets are sent and received at a faster rate, which there is packet loss. There is something wrong with my signal or signal interference. Pingtest.net is showing high jitter, which would cause PL in games
rizzo777

rizzo777

Also, why would my FIRST hop be 47, 23, 21 MS when it should be 10? When I used to run trace routs I used to get NO MORE than 10ms first hop. That is HIGH for a first hop

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
There is nothing wrong with your signal that I can see, I dont have a lot of faith in pingtest.net.

Hob

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
With Adelphia the first hop used to be the modem, a 10. IP, which was usually sub 10ms... TWC hides that and shows your first hop at the CMTS miles away. Your first hop should be 20-30. You bring back a lot of memories, did you work at Adelphia in the day?
rizzo777
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
Wow, there is a screen shot of a real time packet loss measure in the game. I consistently lag, there is something wrong for sure. Why would I have 0 PL a while back and no lag to all of a sudden BAD lag?????

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

You running anything else in the Background at the same time?

The ping time for the first hop is immaterial, look at the second one.

Hob
rizzo777
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777

No, I just clean installed windows on my machine today, I also tested my other computer, still the same results

Jabbu
Premium Member

Jabbu to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
said by rizzo777:

When I ping servers, it pings servers every so much of a fraction of a second. When I'm in a game, packets are sent and received at a faster rate, which there is packet loss. There is something wrong with my signal or signal interference. Pingtest.net is showing high jitter, which would cause PL in games

Gaming is typically UDP, since a online game doesn't care if it loses a packet or two here and there.

Our ICMP pings will reflect an issue any UDP online game is having.

You are noticing it more with a online game watching people jump around or your screen stutter, a IT guy sees the same issue watching a constant ping.
Jabbu

Jabbu to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
said by rizzo777:

Wow, there is a screen shot of a real time packet loss measure in the game. I consistently lag, there is something wrong for sure. Why would I have 0 PL a while back and no lag to all of a sudden BAD lag?????

If this is recent as of this week, I know the answer.

If you have been having this for 8 mo, then I do not know.
rizzo777
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777 to Jabbu

to Jabbu
I work in IT, I used to run constant pings to my end users modems at my old job and they seemed fine most of the times. But when a tech went on site there was usually other problems with their signal. Cmd prompt ICMP pings is NO monitor to use for a user, are you telling me time warner doesn't have any advance monitoring tools? I used to go into our advanced Motorola PTP microwave radio tools and look for jitter / signal ratios. A ping -t is NOT a monitoring tool. I am not the regular guy off the street that says "OK, I believe you". I KNOW what I'm experiencing, it's NOT normal
rizzo777

rizzo777

I had a router, I directly hooked it up to my modem to test which didn't help, I recently swapped my old modem for a UBEE modem/router combo, which still didn't help
rizzo777

rizzo777

Sorry if I'm coming across a little pissed off, but I know there is an issue and I will like this resolved, I only play games online, I don't care about download speeds. I just want to get this fixed so I don't hook up DSL here, I'd rather stay with cable, but if the tech Saturday doesn't fix this I might have to change
rizzo777

rizzo777

This is something to ask ,which I don't know if it matters. A while ago a technician came to look at something here, he took off the old splitter inside my basement and hooked something else up with cable wire locks so I can't unhook it. Is it possible he took off my old filter? I can't take off the coax to see the splitter.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
said by rizzo777:

Sorry if I'm coming across a little pissed off, but I know there is an issue and I will like this resolved, I only play games online, I don't care about download speeds. I just want to get this fixed so I don't hook up DSL here, I'd rather stay with cable, but if the tech Saturday doesn't fix this I might have to change

I cant see anything that a tech at your house can fix.

You really have not shown us anything other than a screen shot in a game that shows packet loss at that location. There was no packet loss in your traces or your ping. Latency is normal on the RR network. There is no loss to your equipment.
Jitter and signal level have no relationship. Even if they did your signal levels are within spec.

Run us a couple of speed tests if you can?

Hob
rizzo777
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777

A speed test will show good download speeds. I am having PACKET LOSS, not SPEED loss. All I need is screen shots in the game because that's my issue! Why am I the ONLY person with HIGH PL throughout the 120 other people I game with? There IS a ISSUE with my connection. WOW
rizzo777

rizzo777

This happened to me years ago at my apartment, they installed filters and everything was good. Can I request that?

Jabbu
Premium Member

Jabbu to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
So 120 people from lancaster, NY play on the same server?

Relax, we are trying to help.
rizzo777
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777

No, not all from Lancaster, There a is a few from Arcade and Rochester, but others are from other cable ISPs. I don't only get PL at one server, I get it from all of them, I used to have rock solid ping/PL which was great from RR. Now it's terrible

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
said by rizzo777:

I had a router, I directly hooked it up to my modem to test which didn't help, I recently swapped my old modem for a UBEE modem/router combo, which still didn't help

What model Ubee modem?
What are the signal levels at »192.168.100.1 ? More info on logging in: »www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· nterface
Do you have any of the "Firewall - Content Filters" turned on in the UBEE router modem? »www.ubeeinteractive.com/ ··· settings
Activating some of the filters causes packet loss and slow speeds
rizzo777
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777

ddw3611 I think the model is, if I remember correctly the power levels were around 40-48 dbm. I will have to double check when I get home. Also, all the firewall settings on the modem is default
rizzo777

rizzo777

Click for full size
Click for full size
content filtering/firewall settings are not enabled
rizzo777

rizzo777

Click for full size
rizzo777

rizzo777

any comments on the latest screen shots?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Signal levels are good. The modem isn't counting any significant errors or logging T1, T2, T3, T4 timeouts.

The traces show intermittent spikes right at the first hop, so something is causing slow downs/congestion between your router interface and the CMTS in the local headend.

Since we can't change what's beyond your modem in the local neighborhood take a look at what's in front of it...

While running the traces, what's connected to the modem? Are there any file serving/sharing programs running? Are you running the game while running the traces? Is there anything connected wirelessly? Can you turn off the wireless and run the traces again?

Basically you have to try and eliminate EVERYTHING you can running across the network other than the ICMP traffic of the tracert utilities.

Cable companies can track all the stats your modem shows on it's diagnostic pages plus quite a bit more, but they really can't see if it's your own network causing congestion or latency spikes.