markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom

[Burloak] North Burlington Improvements?

Does anyone in the Headon Forest/Millcroft area of Burlington know what Cogeco is up to?

They've had the Ditch Witch digging all around feeding pipes into the ground and there are a number of locations around with a number of thick pipes sticking out of the ground.

Any ideas? I'm just curious.

MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Cogeco Cable
They appear to be installing Fiber optic wiring throughout the Hamilton / Burlington areas. However, I wasn't aware that these lines were being installed by Cogeco, and was under the impression that they were installed by Bell.

Nonetheless, Bell or Cogeco, at least it means we'll finally get some decent connection out here.
I know that some of Bell's services are now available in the Waterdown area, such as their Fibe TV and Bell Fibe 175/175 internet.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Just because they're laying fibre doesn't mean that the fibre is actually going to be delivered right to your home.

Cogeco does have some limited FTTH deployed, but all they do is install a modulator to switch from fibre to coax and deliver the exact same series of RF channels as they do when the coax is wired into your home instead.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
reply to markf
I know it's not FTTH because its only along main streets.

I've looked at the new boxes on the ground and they say Cogeco, so I know it's not Bell.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Probably just a rebuild. They might be doing fibre to the curb and then converting to coax inside the box for delivery to the actual customer premises. Eliminates the vast majority of plant RF issues that way.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by Gone:

Probably just a rebuild. They might be doing fibre to the curb and then converting to coax inside the box for delivery to the actual customer premises. Eliminates the vast majority of plant RF issues that way.

You'd probably be right, the last one was started about 10 years ago so....you'd think it'd be time to replace equipment and such, it takes a long time and a lot of planning to complete, so I'd say its probably something like this.