spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kman08

@direcway.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE

Re: [Installer] HT1000 My first install!

hmm, I might be able to work around that messenger wire by using the second cable of the Siamese one that is down there now to act in it's place. But I notice that cable is about identical to what Dish Network is using to handle their High Def stuff. Where is that messenger wire hooking to? Ground? Are you an installer Corrosive?

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
reply to Kman08

said by Kman08 :

Sharky, thanks for posting the link I read through it. But it still left me wondering, can one of the lines the fed the HN7000S modem still be used. I just put brand new dual data 3G cable in the ground out to our dish and would hate to have to redo all that. I suppose that with a steel fishing tool and some wire lubricant I might be able to fish the wire through. That would be fun I am pretty sure. As I bet the cable would get hung up at the corners, given the fact that the internet coax is not the only line down there. There is the cable for the HD antenna as well as Dish Networks cables for their HD and analog too. So sometimes the cables get a little freaked up inside the pipe along the 100/110ft or so distance. Is it still a 3Ghz cable? Or some kind of a special cable with a dual core in it??

sharkyyoung
Premium
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV
reply to Kman08

said by Kman08 :

Sharky, thanks for posting the link I read through it. But it still left me wondering, can one of the lines the fed the HN7000S modem still be used. I just put brand new dual data 3G cable in the ground out to our dish and would hate to have to redo all that. I suppose that with a steel fishing tool and some wire lubricant I might be able to fish the wire through. That would be fun I am pretty sure. As I bet the cable would get hung up at the corners, given the fact that the internet coax is not the only line down there. There is the cable for the HD antenna as well as Dish Networks cables for their HD and analog too. So sometimes the cables get a little freaked up inside the pipe along the 100/110ft or so distance. Is it still a 3Ghz cable? Or some kind of a special cable with a dual core in it??

Kman08
I had my 7000 upgraded to the 9000 a while ago and did not have to change the cable, as far as I can tell you should still be able to use your existing cable for the Gen4, as long as it is good.

Kman08

@direcway.com

Super good, if that is the way it goes. Crossing fingers.

Junk

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius

Garbage in, Garbage out

To give you an Idea of the blazing speed (HaHa) of satellite internet "HughesNet HN9000 system". I cleared the browser cache, it took 14 sec to load this very page your viewing. Total download amount was 316.91KB which translates into 2.53Mb. Keep in mind 900ms .... when your browser fetches this very page there are a total of 55 request. Of the 55 request file size ranges from 13B to 68KB.

A brief summary of these satellite internet providers, they deliver nothing more than bottom of the barrel service. They are sorta like garbage trucks, the differences is they don't pick up your garbage, they dump it in your yard and charge you a fee!

If consumers would refuse the purchasing of over priced products and services, prices would be adjusted down to there true market value. It is rather apparent we have a over abundance of idiots in the united states. I see this trend continuing!

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY
reply to Kman08

Not an installer, just someone with an NDA.

I will say, these pages are loading in under one second for me.
Also, the wire is grounded on the dish, but the end on the inside goes to nothing, just wrapped around the cable.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to Junk

Re: Garbage in, Garbage out

said by Junk :

To give you an Idea of the blazing speed (HaHa) of satellite internet "HughesNet HN9000 system". I cleared the browser cache, it took 14 sec to load this very page your viewing. Total download amount was 316.91KB which translates into 2.53Mb. Keep in mind 900ms .... when your browser fetches this very page there are a total of 55 request. Of the 55 request file size ranges from 13B to 68KB.

A brief summary of these satellite internet providers, they deliver nothing more than bottom of the barrel service. They are sorta like garbage trucks, the differences is they don't pick up your garbage, they dump it in your yard and charge you a fee!

If consumers would refuse the purchasing of over priced products and services, prices would be adjusted down to there true market value. It is rather apparent we have a over abundance of idiots in the united states. I see this trend continuing!

says the poster who has a direcway.com addy
Expand your moderator at work

Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI
reply to xstatik

Alright, brief post here... Someone remind me of where the "service area map" is for EchoStar XVII? Because we recently called HughesNet and they said "it's not available in our area at this time." And we live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which I thought was in the service area... but I might be remembering wrong.

Suckers

@direcway.com
reply to C0RR0SIVE88

Its nothing more than a black Hole!

@CORROSIVE88
With a total of 40 of so users having the entire Gen 4 satellite all to them selves your assessment is somewhat irreverent.

How about throwing 2 Million users on the Gen4 Satellite as HughsNet has plans for overselling and lets see how fast your assessment gets sucked into a Black Hole of nothingness!

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

2 edits

Far more than 40 people friend, far more. I also can not give a number to that, but it is far more than 40. So your statement is still invalid. Also, 2 million, on a 100Gbps satellite won't do much, most websites won't push to you at 10Mbps for most anything, honestly, most web browsing I barely see a site push above 4Mbps to me, and it's only for fractions of a second.

Now if that 2 million was pulling 10Mbps all at one time for extended durations, yea, it might cause a few issues, but not as badly as you would think.

Doc, I could have sworn that Northern Michigan was on the theoretical map... Maybe they don't yet have all the information? Or the signal just can't make it there and be steady?
Below is the only thing I can find, which was just a theoretical map based upon what Viasat had I am going to assume.

EDIT: I found something that is apparently more accurate..

Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI
reply to xstatik

Oh, wow... There's a lot more "dead zone" than I remember. And the Upper Peninsula is part of it. Huh... So over half the entire country can't even get this "state of the art upgrade," it seems. That's pretty disappointing...

Thanks for looking this up, C0RR0. I appreciate it.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to xstatik

If Hughes truly placed 2 million people on the same satellite, congestion could be a problem. But the chances of them finding 2 million people seems extremely low.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

said by silbaco:

If Hughes truly placed 2 million people on the same satellite, congestion could be a problem. But the chances of them finding 2 million people seems extremely low.

I have no idea if they will find them, but 2 million is 4 times what they have on Spaceway 3, and ES17 has 10 times the capacity of SP3. Hence one would expect better performance on ES17 even if the 2 million number was reached.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY
reply to Doc Lithius

said by Doc Lithius:

Oh, wow... There's a lot more "dead zone" than I remember. And the Upper Peninsula is part of it. Huh... So over half the entire country can't even get this "state of the art upgrade," it seems. That's pretty disappointing...

Thanks for looking this up, C0RR0. I appreciate it.

Sorry about the bad news Doc, it looks like they moved a few beams and that is most likely what cut off some areas... At least, when you compared the theoretical map and the current actual service map.
That means you will be stuck on the slower Spaceway 3 service with "improved" speeds, which, honestly... I don't see happening ever with that thing only being 10Gbit unless they drop a good chunk of consumers... Which could happen with the eastern half of the states being kicked from being sold that connection.

You can actually tell where one base station is on that one picture. XD

But yea, 2 million customers even on 12Mbps package won't cause an issue, but, we also don't know who else could be on that satellite (business contracts...), and there is potential, though small, that more than 2 million can end up on it in time.

JSheridan

join:2006-07-03
USA
reply to C0RR0SIVE

Re: Its nothing more than a black Hole!

That orange and blue map was what they anticipated pre-launch. I understand they are getting more out of the foot print now that it's up there and working.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to chances14

Re: Garbage in, Garbage out

said by chances14:

Direcway is what HughesNet used to be called, and they still use that rdns.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

said by Heh213:

said by chances14:

Direcway is what HughesNet used to be called, and they still use that rdns.

yes i know, my point exactly. he said people should refuse to buy their service, yet he is using hughesnet.

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY
reply to JSheridan

said by JSheridan:

That orange and blue map was what they anticipated pre-launch. I understand they are getting more out of the foot print now that it's up there and working.

Actually, that is the most recent map where service is going to be sold and can be used...

Number 31 at this link: »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions

The theorized map is the one that depicts the two satellites and uses shades of green on the map.

JSheridan

USA

said by C0RR0SIVE:

said by JSheridan:

Actually, that is the most recent map where service is going to be sold and can be used...

Number 31 at this link: »gen4.hughesnet.com/learn-more/questions

The theorized map is the one that depicts the two satellites and uses shades of green on the map.

#31 that you pointed to specifically says 'pre-sales'. We were told at the HughesNet meeting by the HughesNet big wigs a couple of weeks ago that the foot print is much better and actual sales will be expanded to the areas of the green map.

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

Strikes me as odd when they aren't taking "pre-sales" when the system is now being sold from the way things are looking with installs starting for non-beta users. Just an opinion... Once installs start, it's no longer a pre-sale. Either keep the maps updated, or don't post them up on the sales pages and hope that users will keep looking a few weeks later when they want to buy now.

They will be advertising Gen4 as nation wide just like WildBlue soonish. So yea, those areas will be "Gen4" but will they hit the Gen4 bird, or the older Spaceway3 bird? Was that made clear at your meeting?

JSheridan

USA

said by C0RR0SIVE:

Strikes me as odd when they aren't taking "pre-sales" when the system is now being sold from the way things are looking with installs starting for non-beta users. Just an opinion... Once installs start, it's no longer a pre-sale. Either keep the maps updated, or don't post them up on the sales pages and hope that users will keep looking a few weeks later when they want to buy now.

They will be advertising Gen4 as nation wide just like WildBlue soonish. So yea, those areas will be "Gen4" but will they hit the Gen4 bird, or the older Spaceway3 bird? Was that made clear at your meeting?

They said at the meeting that the orange map was for pre-sales before the service was turned on and the foot print would be expanded when the satellite was in service and could be tested for coverage. I just put in an address to check availability in Plattsburgh NY, in far northern New York right next to the Canadian border, and it said the new Jupiter plans are available there. That is way north of the line on the pre-sales orange map, which runs across the middle of New York state.
Expand your moderator at work

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY
reply to JSheridan

Interesting, I wonder when they plan on releasing an actual map that shows exactly where service is confirmed.

JSheridan

USA

said by C0RR0SIVE:

Interesting, I wonder when they plan on releasing an actual map that shows exactly where service is confirmed.

That would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

steveT

@frontiernet.net
reply to xstatik

Anybody having problems pointing the Gen 4. I've had 2 jobs where it took me hours to get the signal peaked. Anybody got any ideas? What's the trick?

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

How high are you trying to get? Last I heard 120 was minimal allowed, but most are lucky to get 120 it seems, my installers gave up at ~110.

stevet

@frontiernet.net

Yeah im trying to get to 120. What do your installers do when they quit at 11Ive gotten a high as 140 but on a couple of them ive been lucky to get 100 or 110

C0RR0SIVE

Salvisa, KY

1 edit

They just went on with the install as normal, 100-110 runs the system just fine. Would be nice if every installer tried to hit 120, but they may not be able to hit it all the time.

Could be the beam assignment as well... I remember a discussion here lately, where HN will just use the zip code and coordinates for the post office for that zip, but sometimes, that could actually fall under a different beam than where the dish would be installed. So maybe an adjacent beam would net a better strength.

stevet

@frontiernet.net

Oh ok. I actually have to go back to a house tomorrow because i could only get up to 104Do they just call in for a provisonal sign off code.