this is a long read. Partly because I have been comprehensive in my data gathering and testing (I think), partly because I am a reasonable person who feels they've explored all possible avenues and want to provide as much information as possible, but mostly because I am quite convinced I am being screwed.tl:dr:
despite months of testing, I am paying for 25Mb, and getting about 10% of it. I have tried EVERYTHING and am at my wits end. I am now going to post my speeds here, as well as my interaction with Shaw help desk.The full story
So I have been having a serious issue with speeds on Shaw for about 6 months now. I am signed up for Xtreme 25, and have been lucky to get more than 2Mb down on the Shaw speed test. In fact my upload speed is consistently higher than my download speed. Go figure.
When I first signed up, I actually got 25Mb on the tests I did on day 1. Amazingly. So I know the line is capable of producing the bandwidth.
I am in the community of Parkdale in Calgary somewhere near 37th street (for the sleuths that may be able to report on cabinet status etc.)
What I HAVE
-2. Reserved for future thoughts.
-1. Been VERY patient.
0. Searched these forums extensively and read a LOT of similar complaints.
1. I have worked through this issue for 6 months. So I have a life, and am busy. I figured I would attack this as I could. But 6 months?! My bad.
2. I have tested this on multiple computers, with different OSs ranging from Xp to Win7, Server 2008/2003, and Ubuntu.
3. I have tested this with multiple browsers on each of these OSs, including Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE8, IE9
4. I have tested this over all times of the day over the above-mentioned 6 months. I even got up a few times at 3AM (I am a rugby fan, so there were late games
and the results were consistently the same low speeds.
5. I have tested this directly connected to the modem, over wireless, and wired.
6. I have tested this with a CLEAN installation of an OS, without AV, firewalls, or any "junk" that help desks like to pretend matter (which to be fair, they sometimes do, but I firmly believe don't in this case)
7. I have tested with the test machine being the ONLY device connected to the modem, and router (separately)
8. I have tested this with three separate routers from DLINK and LinkSYS. And yes, firmware's and the like were checked.
9. I have tested this... oh wait. I think I have tested this quite extensively.
10. I have tried to engage Shaw to fix this. The initial call was logged via e-mail, as I just couldn't log into their direct web support, not could I get hold of anyone via phone support. In fact, once, I was on hold for over an hour out of sheer stubborn bloody-mindedness to see what happened. I lost because I hung up.
10. E-mail support was enthusiastic I must give them that. But really got nowhere, and all the usual questions (see 1-8 above.).
What I have NOT
1. Working on this. Feel free to provide input.
I must add, that I work in IT and have done so for over 15 years. And while I don't pretend to be an expert on cable, cable modems and the like, I have a solid grasp of the technologies. I also know my own network, desktops, servers and other infrastructure that I run at home. Just sayin' that I have some abilities in this arena, so don't go accusing my stuff of being the cause.
I did get a technician come around to test the line at one point, and this is what bugs me the most.
He arrived, tested with 2 different modems over an extensive period, saw my test spike ONCE towards about 65% of the speed, and reported in the call log (which I found out recently when I re-opened the case) that the line was performing adequately.
REALLY?! What the hell?
Then why did he leave me a spare modem with instructions to swap between them to see if it made a difference? Why did he not test the line quality, noise ratios, other things I know very little of? I still have the modem, and have had no luck whatsoever.
I have posted my latest speed tests here, and am now going to post my interaction with Shaw customer service in this forum. I am done. Life is too short to waste on crap like this, and I would like to see this resolved.
I welcome input from the smarter people than me on this forum - if you can think of things to try and people to talk to.
Thanks for reading this far if you did.