Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

They're not tops in terms of smartphone profits...not remotely close. It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

Meanwhile the ad is REALLY stupid advertising. Consumers aren't receptive to insults in advertising (unless they're already gidiots) and the message is ultimately iPhone is hugely popular, so popular they have lines around the block, and perspective buyers are going to wonder why. They're going to know it isn't about where the headphone jack is.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

the ad is an insult to fanbois.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Which isn't going to lure them to another platform. It is gidiot marketing, and like all things Android, not well thought out.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Wouldn't that be kinda like saying the Macintosh 1984 commercial was gonna lead people to IBM? Because so many people were sitting watching the IBM guy talk and their were soldiers..

Or that they'll stay using IBM or ibm clones, instead of being lured to Macintosh?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

No, the target audience for that Mac commercial in 1984 were people who DIDN'T USE computers AT ALL because they were too complicated or perceived as such. They weren't corporate suits imprisoned by IBM. The target was average folks. Even for IBM users the girl was giving you a way out, that IBM victimized you as a distant tyrant, trapping you in a DOS world. Existing users were the oppressed masses trapped for reasons beyond their control.

Quit different from the Samsung add which would have portrayed users buying IBMs because they were beige and had a new button on the left side of the case instead of the right.

That particular Samsung commercial was idiocy and whoever did it was probably fired as it goes against EVERY lesson in advertising, first being don't insult your target audience. You can insult your rivals, insult rival devices but NEVER the target of your ads.

"Hey you iOS Crayon eating 'tards...get yer dick out of that chicken and try a $200 android handset ya dumbasses"

Samsung needs to sell the device based on its capabilities...in other words, you insult the iPhone device itself just as Apple insulted Windows Vista as being a piece of crap NEVER the users which Samsung did. But in marketing genius, even when insulting Vista...the Hodgeman character was an endearing character. THAT is how you do advertising.
Expand your moderator at work

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits

Thaler to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

They're not tops in terms of smartphone profits...not remotely close. It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

And yet, Apple doesn't want me to have the choice of buying them. Samsung is tops in terms of units sold, and there seems to be something spooking Apple about that.
said by skeechan:

Meanwhile the ad is REALLY stupid advertising. Consumers aren't receptive to insults in advertising (unless they're already gidiots) and the message is ultimately iPhone is hugely popular, so popular they have lines around the block, and perspective buyers are going to wonder why. They're going to know it isn't about where the headphone jack is.

Hardware differences are insults? Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see any insults in that flash. Also, what's a gidiot?

And again, it might be me, but I thought the take home message was that people are having lines around the block, waiting for a product that's already under par with existing hardware available today?
said by skeechan:

"Hey you iOS Crayon eating 'tards...get yer dick out of that chicken and try a $200 android handset ya dumbasses"

I have no idea how you took that as the take-home message of Samsung's ad. It sounds like you're way, way too closely invested in your iPhone and are taking smartphone hardware differences personally. No company could make an ad about their product being an improvement without it being "insulting" to you.
said by skeechan:

Which isn't going to lure them to another platform. It is gidiot marketing, and like all things Android, not well thought out.

Pretty sure Samsung's not trying to appeal to fanbois. They're trying to appeal to those who are using a smartphone as a smartphone. There's no way to convert individuals who cannot be open to other technology options.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

Pretty sure Samsung's not trying to appeal to fanbois. They're trying to appeal to those who are using a smartphone as a smartphone. There's no way to convert individuals who cannot be open to other technology options.

this.exactly.this.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

You can convert anyone if you SHOW them reason to and those reasons are compelling to those particular users. Hell, I have 3 android devices and if Asus can sell ME on a $700 Android tablet anyone can be sold on one. People who use smartphones as smartphones don't buy into the iOS hype, Samsung was preaching to the choir. That ad was telling the hundred million+ iOS users why wait when you could have an S3 now but gave zero reason to do so in addition to insulting them.

iOS users I know figure android is the same shit just a different smell but they are wowed when shown my 1080P Transformer and stellar dock....compelling hardware they had no idea existed...a tablet with a mousing option, 2 SD slots, USB and 14HR battery life. When asked about iTunes Match I mention Google Play...it's a marketing problem Android device makers have. They're selling people on the wrong stuff.

This is how you do an S3 ad

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QQdo-c4E

Chop it into pieces and run them all.

Asterix
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA

Asterix

Premium Member

I LOVED that ad.. the shots were really touching. Though I couldn't understand the language I could easily understand what the shots meant. Brilliant !!

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Asterix:

Though I couldn't understand the language I could easily understand what the shots meant. Brilliant !!

all you had to do was look in the lower RH corner.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

That ad was telling the hundred million+ iOS users why wait when you could have an S3 now but gave zero reason to do so in addition to insulting them.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8Sx4B2Sk
Again, nobody else knows how you're taking Samsung's "The future is now" commercial as an insult.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

if anything is an insult to the applrati its iOS6 with its Apple Maps flagship.
Expand your moderator at work

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon to skeechan

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

They're selling a phone people want, at the same price as their competitor. They're making less because they're putting more into it.

They could be just as profitable as Apple (moreso, because they have more sales) if they dumbed down their product line, sure.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

No they couldn't. Dumbing down the product line won't increase margins because would have to dumb down the price. They have tons of already dumbed down Android handset competitors (those that sell the free handsets).

Samsung is in the same position as Dell and it is hard to make fat margins when you are a Dell. To sell crap you have to price it accordingly. To sell expensive you have to have a good gimmick, exclusivity or a rabid fanbase.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon

Uhm... So how does Apple get away with it?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Exclusivity and integration mainly with a topping of rabid fan base...the type of topping that completely covers up everything underneath. The cost of that integration is control. In order to have things run smoothly (maps aside) the manufacturer needs vertical control of the platform and Apple has that. We see what happens to the platform when there isn't that control such as Cydia which "works" but is a convoluted mess of horrid integration, poor OS support (like lack of multitasking which I need in order to paste passwords) and no uniformity in how apps function or their quality.

Android is the middle ground between quality of the user experience and control. Android gives users much more customization options (such as choosing your launcher and themes) but I have found the cost is in stability and uniformity of function. My Android devices generally aren't as stable, the apps don't have the same QC and the user experience more "jumbled" in that apps don't function predictably (you have to learn how each one works).

For me it's exclusivity and integration with the services I use most (eg iTunes Match) and I have a hard on for build quality. I'm one of those that appreciates the detail in engineering like a fine hand assembled wristwatch. Digital watches may have more features and do more stuff but there is something about a mechanical watch that is way cool.

As a daily user of both Android and iOS, I use a car analogy.

Android is a 1LE Camaro or Mustang GT500...STUPID fast, huge power, uber capable, maybe not the same build quality but damn who cares, it's STUPID fast and does what driver NEEDS it to do. And if 600HP isn't enough, you can put even more crazy power to it should you want to put in that effort and you would have factory support in doing it.

iOS is an M3...more about user experience than big horsepower, more about the connection to that experience than customization. The M3 (while is can be customized) is generally the way people want it from the dealership and aside from tint aren't really likely to mess with it too much nor do they have to desire to. It's more refined, smoother, smoother on power, better 'connected', unlike any other experience (I've had lots of sedans but nothing gives me the joy I get from my 535i and I've driven a CTS-V...talk about stupid power!).

You can immediately see the difference I'm trying to describe. Each car services a different need of user experience and not always it is about the lap time but HOW the car goes around the track, HOW it behaves.

As much as I respect the 1LE Camaro or CTS-V I prefer an M3 or M5. And you will find no shortage of people saying choosing an M5 over a CTS-V is stupid and vice versa.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

What's exclusive to an iPhone besides some games? I run the same apps as my iOS using friends. I know they paid a lot more for their phone, but that's not usually what exclusivity is about.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby

said by Thaler:

What's exclusive to an iPhone besides some games? I run the same apps as my iOS using friends. I know they paid a lot more for their phone, but that's not usually what exclusivity is about.

I dig itunes match.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

A lot more apps, mostly useless, a fashion design where people come up to you and say, 'wow, that's the newest iphone?' (Seriously, that happened once when I had my 4s), and you have the joys of having brothers who more or less resemble Jim Jones followers from Jonestown, and don't you dare say a bad thing abot the almighty Jobs or you will become an OUTCAST !

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby
said by rugby:

said by Thaler:

I dig itunes match.

Amazon MP3. Runs both on iOS and Android and has the same matching service available.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby

said by Thaler:

said by rugby:

said by Thaler:

I dig itunes match.

Amazon MP3. Runs both on iOS and Android and has the same matching service available.

Maybe, but getting the wife and kids to use it isn't worth the hassle. iTunes Match just works for the most part.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by rugby:

Maybe, but getting the wife and kids to use it isn't worth the hassle. iTunes Match just works for the most part.

Not sure what the difference is - seen both in action actually. Have music collection, iTunes/Amazon finds what you has, matches to what it has available, and boom.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby
Amazon, like Google Music Manager, won't upload or transcode ALAC. While it says ALAC support, that is only for matching purposes, meaning if your ripped a Stones CD to ALAC and it happens to be in their catalog, you'll get matched with a lossy 256k mp3 but if it is an ALAC of something not in the store, you're screwed with 1/2 empty playlists, at least that is what I got with Amazon's importer.

iTunes Match will transcode and upload ALAC if not matched. Given ALAC is open source there is a snowball's chance of getting support in the distant future but for now iTunes match is all there is aside from transcoding and creating a duplicate library to support the few shortcomings in Google Music Manager and Amazon Music importer.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Ah. I've just always kept my collection in the universal MP3 format, or whatever OSS codecs that releases have been in the past couple years. Given that ALAC went OSS & royalty-free less than a year ago, that can explain why I've never encountered that problem within my collection.