uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
reply to Black Box

Re: See evey terminal command passed by the GUI

Yea, basically. Launchers, for example pass commands. When I click restart, or shutdown, a command is passed. My understanding is on Linux system most gui items pass commands. I just want them to log, and have then scroll.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

said by Rexter:

Yea, basically. Launchers, for example pass commands. When I click restart, or shutdown, a command is passed. My understanding is on Linux system most gui items pass commands. I just want them to log, and have then scroll.

Well, there's your problem. Your understanding is wrong.

Everything a command line application does is accomplished via system calls. Those same system calls are also used by GUI apps. Want to rm files? call unlink() in your native gui or command line app.

You could trace all syscalls, but that would get ugly fast.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Rexter

You could see standard output and errors when you launch a GUI app from terminal and leave the terminal open. This is sometime useful for troubleshooting. Most apps are quite chatty with status messages to stdout and/or stderr.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Yea, that's what brought on the idea. I basically want that, but for everything not just one program.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

You could trace all syscalls, but that would get ugly fast.

Ugly is good. That sounds like what I want.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to Rexter

I'd direct your attention to /var/log/ directory.
There you can see most of the system logs and messages.

You can watch 'live' a log file with tail command, i.e. tail -f /var/log/messages

If you turn on accounting it can be pretty detailed.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
reply to Rexter

conky to watch the processes and or logs?
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

1 edit
reply to Brano

You can watch 'live' a log file with tail command, i.e. tail -f /var/log/messages

I opened a terminal, and entered this command. Then by the gui, I opened, played around, and then closed several apps. No information showed up in the terminal, under the said command.

How do you turn on accounting?

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9
reply to XCOM

Yea, what Brano is describing sounds like what I want, but I'd like it to be scrolling in a semi-transparent windows on the desktop. I was wondering if Conky might be able to do that.
--

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX

Yes it can.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

lol, typical RTFM linux guy. I'll spend some more time with my buddy Google.

As of now, I haven't found the log info I'm looking for, to even import into Conky, so I'm not quite there yet.
--

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON

What exactly are you looking for? Different programs log to different log files (most of the log files are in /var/log though).

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

lol, typical RTFM linux guy. I'll spend some more time with my buddy Google.

As of now, I haven't found the log info I'm looking for, to even import into Conky, so I'm not quite there yet.

I am sorry wtf did you wanted? All I said was that yest it can be done...
Give me some time to get out from work and I can assist but as it's been replayed here you need to cat the messages file and outputted to conky.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms