All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to swintec

to swintec

Re: Missing something? Why not just use Virgin Mobile?

said by swintec:

You do not get roaming with Virgin, plus quality of service is not as good as a normal sprint plan. Sprint traffic is prioritized over Virgin on the network.

In real world performance, is this subtle enough that the average Joe would even notice? Or is Virgin poor compared to standard Sprint service?

I have a Tmobile pre-paid hotspot at $25/mo for 1.5 GB and service varies from 10+ Mbps down to under 1 Mbps. But since I only use it on the road for email, SSH, IM, and other low bandwidth stuff, speed matters far less than "is there any useable signal where I'm trying to work at the moment".

I was thinking about getting an iPhone from Virgin and paying the extra $15 for the hotspot ability (to replace the $25 hotspot from Tmobile). But that all depends on whether Virgin has a useable data product.

Thoughts?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

»Virgin Mobile Broadband

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to rebus9

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

I have a Tmobile pre-paid hotspot at $25/mo for 1.5 GB and service varies from 10+ Mbps down to under 1 Mbps. ...
I was thinking about getting an iPhone from Virgin and paying the extra $15 for the hotspot ability (to replace the $25 hotspot from Tmobile). But that all depends on whether Virgin has a useable data product.

If you are getting 10+ Mbps down, stick with it... the virgin mobile iphone is a 4S and it is CDMA-EVDO only... the technical limit on EVDO is 3.1Mbps.