Search similar:

uniqs

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

[Anime] Neon Alley launch date announced!

Viz's dub only PS3 subscriber channel launches October 2nd.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· tLT1Rmlc

I'm still torn about this idea, but damn if I'm not curious enough to check it out when it finally launches.

»neonalley.com/

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Hmmmm.....

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

For those curious, VIZ has added a snippet of the new Inu Yasha: The Final Act dub, with the new Kagome voice. She's not BAD, but I think the whole thing is lacking from the last time around..... It's not overall bad, it's just lost some of the feeling the original had near the end.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be
captokita

captokita

Premium Member

So today is the day. I upped my membership to the paid member, but with the 1 week free trial. Installed the app on my PS3 and fired it up.

Results....... needs work!

The video quality will range in a show from "Damn that's pretty!" to "Damn this looks like xth generation copies!" a minute later, wtf? Don't tell me it's an internet issue, because I can stream CR with no issues, as well as netflix, something in this player is not right. Same with the sound, from clear, crisp, sound, to foggy, xth generation garble in the span of a minute.

Controls are essentially hit square to pull up the what's playing list, and that's it.

So far I've watched an episode of Inu Yasha, where it's blocked on the edges on my tv, with out of sync sound after half an episode, and an episode of Tiger & Bunny (very funny!) and Inu Yasha: The Final Act. (full screen on both) The different voices here can throw you some, but it's not bad. Dub of T&B was pretty good honestly.

Commercials consist of previews of games, and previews for other shows. That's not so bad.

The lineup appears to have a "premiere" day for each show, like Fridays for Blue Exorcist, Sat. for One Piece, etc. and the rest of the week composed of repeats upon repeats of the same things over and over, which should give you ample opportunities to see something you missed the first time around. This doesn't feel complete yet, as the days lineups are so off the wall currently, you don't know what to look for. Today a bunch of Inu Yasha, tomorrow a bunch of Naruto.....

Overall, I can appreciate the effort, but if they want me to PAY for this, they need to work on this player some, because the playback is atrocious.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by captokita:

So today is the day. I upped my membership to the paid member, but with the 1 week free trial. Installed the app on my PS3 and fired it up.

Results....... needs work!

The video quality will range in a show from "Damn that's pretty!" to "Damn this looks like xth generation copies!" a minute later, wtf? Don't tell me it's an internet issue, because I can stream CR with no issues, as well as netflix, something in this player is not right. Same with the sound, from clear, crisp, sound, to foggy, xth generation garble in the span of a minute.

I suffer from the same issue, makes everything unwatchable.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
I want to so support this serve but damn if I'm going to plan to sit down at some time to watch a show. I just can't do that crap anymore. I hope to god they turn into an anime netflix in the future. funimation needs to get their damn app on PS3 already.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

And my complaints are met with cut/paste from the support site:

Hi there,

Neon Alley automatically streams the highest quality video available for your internet connection. It is recommended that you have at least a 1Mbps broadband connection for standard quality video, and a 3Mbps connection for high definition video.

Thanks,
Neon Alley support

So they obviously didn't read my mention of a 5MB connection. I wish I had cable internet here with mega speeds, but this the best I can get where I live, and even people on their FB page have tried to tell me it's my DSL connection. Funny, I can stream Amazon HD movies from my PS3 without a hitch, so can you tell me how it's my internet?

Needless to say, my one week trial will end there.

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
I watched for about an hour last night. My connection is pretty solid so bandwidth isn't an issue for me.

I don't really have any complaints about the quality yet. The system does feel very underdeveloped.

As it was said before, my result is:

It needs work
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to captokita

to captokita
said by captokita:

said by hitachi369:

And my complaints are met with cut/paste from the support site:

Hi there,

Neon Alley automatically streams the highest quality video available for your internet connection. It is recommended that you have at least a 1Mbps broadband connection for standard quality video, and a 3Mbps connection for high definition video.

Thanks,
Neon Alley support

So they obviously didn't read my mention of a 5MB connection. I wish I had cable internet here with mega speeds, but this the best I can get where I live, and even people on their FB page have tried to tell me it's my DSL connection. Funny, I can stream Amazon HD movies from my PS3 without a hitch, so can you tell me how it's my internet?

Needless to say, my one week trial will end there.

Haven't seen whether this service is available in Canada yet, but I have watched various anime that Crackle shows (on a 25/7 connection) without the issues you describe, so I'd say this is VIZ not buying enough streaming capacity.

Though there was one show that looked 'soft' as hell (AMG TV Season 2) but given that everything else I sampled looked okay, I'd say it was just that show (I have the DVD's anyways, so I know what it should look like, I was just curious)

NefCanuck

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

I do believe that this is the issue, I watched some more at 2am and the stream was steady with no drop outs.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

I do believe that this is the issue, I watched some more at 2am and the stream was steady with no drop outs.

Possible. I watched One Piece last night and the repeat of Tiger & Bunny at 10PM and it seemed better.

I can accept problems initially, but I don't like the brush off from their support staff. That's not going to win me over. Even if they BS me a "We're working on the problem, and hope to have it resolved shortly!" even if it's all BS, that's better than copying/pasting a line from their support site.