join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to dmbcanada

Re: Teksavvy Installation Nightmare - Letter to CEO (Followup)

said by dmbcanada:

Sorry but I am on Marc and TSI's side, I agree that no what they did the customer wouldn't have been satisfied. He keeps pushing and pushing for more after he has agreed not to ask for more. He obviously has more issues than just no internet connection. I would like to see him try and resolve the same situation if he were with Bell or Rogers, they would totally crush his complaints and not give him any compensation.

This is the problem, there are NO SIDES in this. It's a matter between the customer and TSI. Yes he brought up a public complaint, no different than a negative review. It's not an invitation to take anyones side.

You stay neutral and have and feel free to voice an opinion, but there are not sides to stand on, this is not a grade 8 dance.

8 weeks was generous, but not unheard of as several have stated from the big guys like Rogers. Example: Rogers screwed up a cancellation and massively overcharged me on ECF. It went on for 4 months worth of arguing. We were handed 5 months of free service and 50% discount for 2 years with no contract. Not unheard of.

I agree with what Marc asked the OP to keep this offline as it should have remained from the start. Mac was an internal issue and honestly I am surprised that was announced he quit as a jab at the OP because Marc was hurt by the events that followed after days worth of work looking in to the issue.

I'll say it again, no sides to take. This is not a battle, just a dispute gone wrong from a customer that was previously irritated by TSI a year ago. It was an already doomed business relationship on the slightest mistake.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I've had trouble with installations with TekSavvy far far worse than the OP ever did, with far more downtime. You'd have to ask Rick, but I recall my initial install taking a month or more. Since then, I've personally gone through five TekSavvy installations (initial ADSL, second ADSL, experimental TPIA, initial VDSL2, second VDSL2). I even acted as a guinea pig for the TPIA service in Quebec, basically volunteering to subject myself to what was guaranteed to be a problem installation with all the effort on my part that entailed (and it did, multiple Videotron visits and a whole bunch of calls to get the issues resolved and the procedures ironed out). On top of all that, I've had more instances of my phone line getting cut than I can remember, and not every time was TekSavvy's handling of that perfect (in terms of following up, mainly).

On the whole, I think I've accumulated an order of magnitude more justification than the OP to be upset with TekSavvy. But you know what? Not only do I have a good relationship with the ISP on a personal level, I also do on a professional level, when it comes to stuff like MLPPP or CapSavvy. And do you know why that is? Because when something goes wrong, as frustrated as I get, I always treat customer service reps with respect and politeness. So even when I get the short end of the stick on something, the company I'm dealing with is still willing to deal with me on at worse a neutral basis.

You know something else? You're way more likely to get the compensation you're asking for (or closer to what you're asking for) for a problem when you're nice and polite to people. Because a customer service rep dealing with a nice and polite customer is going to be a lot more willing to help them out, and the customer will feel a lot better about the whole exchange even if they don't get what they want.

I don't manage to keep vitriol out of many other parts of my life (I've got a short temper), but dealing with customer service reps is one place I really make an extra effort for, and have succeeded, and it pays off. I don't think I've ever yelled at or swore at a CSR in my life.

Well said quite honestly... Some of the abuse a rep (specifically at an ISP) takes most of the general population have no clue.

I've had a slight issue back in the day with TSI and Rocky at the time took offence to something until i clarified and i like to believe i see Marc on a more personal level than just a CEO of an ISP.

The guy has been more honest with me via PM about things i cannot talk about that i just see him more as a friend (though never met) i can just tell he loves his business and is why he defended himself thick and thin.

Though there are no sides, i agree that freaking out on reps will lead absolutely nowhere.

Well said nonetheless Gus

Edit:

To Marc:

As i've said over the years on here I run a medium sized business and I've been in business for 16 years. I enjoy each customer on board as i love what i do but i've cancelled customers accounts due to abuse in helpdesk tickets/telephone support.

We usually refund unused portion of what they've paid and cut our losses.

I'd have cancelled and not given the option for them to stay. Sorry OP.

That said, you're going to run in to a huge problem because of what was announced you did for him that was ABOVE AND BEYOND. Other's are going to expect the same thing :s

MajorPewPew

join:2010-09-19
reply to Guspaz
But Guspaz, your case is different, you have a working relationship with Teksavvy and you volunteered knowing there will be problems in order to iron out the kinks in the procedure, and I will bet that you were well compensated for that. But you also have to keep in mind that in this day and age, patience and compassion is lacking from both sides. Customers get irritated extremely quickly because they paid good money for service, and any hiccups are viewed to be unacceptable and need to be quickly addressed or they'll start. CSRs on the other hand, deal with angry customer all day and have heard all kind of stories and become insensitive to the individual customer. When both sides becomes impatient, its basically a cock fight waiting to happen.

Like you Guspaz, I also have a short temper, but instead of cursing and getting pissed off all day, I give CS one chance of sorting it out. Once that try is gone, I simply cancel. If you cant get it right the first time, and the second time, you don't deserve my business. But not everyone does that, in the case of the OP, its screw up after screw up after screw up. Instead of giving the OP some decent compensation, he was met with a half baked offer which I'd take offense to too. If you screw up that much on a customer consecutively, you need to pony up the manpower or cash to make it right. People are receptive to cash, thats plain and simple.

Now as opposed to waiving $65, you lose a customer/ long term profits, and judging by the vindictive posts the OP has made, he'd probably actively siphon customers away from TSI as well. All of this over a measly $65 on ONE customer.
--
Feel the SPEED, the SPEED!!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Simpletwist
Only the cable line was volunteer, the other four setups were for myself, and some of those installs were really painful. The first one gave me about a month of downtime, and that was coming from a non-working Colba connection to begin with, so I had been without a properly working internet connection for something like two months (on Colba I was getting 0.3 Mbps and lots of packetloss on a 13 meg sync).
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org
Expand your moderator at work

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

I'll say it again, no sides to take. This is not a battle, just a dispute gone wrong from a customer that was previously irritated by TSI a year ago.

This.

By accepting the offer I hope the OP cools down enough to realize TekSavvy delivers an excellent product at a good price. It will serve him well for years, and years. He has a couple of months to reflect and reconsider. Or not. Up to him.

If anything this thread offers proof that TekSavvy Internet is not a service manned by automatons many thousands of miles away who don't give a shit. Kudos to Marc and his team. As a PR gesture I am 100% confused by the tactics. Regardless, TekSavvy has earned even more loyalty points.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Simpletwist
said by Simpletwist :

Fuck it, I'm keeping my service and shutting my mouth, I need the internet for work and I just completely give up

Yet again another customer that needs his internet for work, yet only has one provider, with no backup. Stupid, just stupid.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

intelp4

join:2007-05-01
reply to Tx
said by Tx:

To Marc:

As i've said over the years on here I run a medium sized business and I've been in business for 16 years. I enjoy each customer on board as i love what i do but i've cancelled customers accounts due to abuse in helpdesk tickets/telephone support.

That said, you're going to run in to a huge problem because of what was announced you did for him that was ABOVE AND BEYOND. Other's are going to expect the same thing :s

TX, do you consider persistant calling to get "things" done right as "abusing"? In a demanding world like ours, how do you expect customers to keep silent if they do not get what they pay for?!!!

Although it is your business that you are operating, it is not only about reducing losses, but also about maintaining good customer reputation.

Anyway, I agree with you that Marc shouldn't be involved with each unhappy customer complaining, since it leads others to abuse his involvement. However, he is responsible to enforce some sort of quality control to improve support, and his interactions with customers will help him achieving that; resulting in better TSI customer relation.
--
It will be better if everyone cares about others

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

1 edit
said by intelp4:

TX, do you consider persistant calling to get "things" done right as "abusing"? In a demanding world like ours, how do you expect customers to keep silent if they do not get what they pay for?!!!

I'm not speaking for Tx here, but I don't think persistent calls are seen as abusive. I think calling people assholes, screaming, swearing, making threats and being consistently belligerent is a different story.

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by The Mongoose:

said by intelp4:

I'm not speaking for Tx here, but I don't think persistent calls are seen as abusive. I think calling people assholes, screaming, swearing, making threats and being consistently belligerent is a different story.

Absolutely correct. You can call us 100 times in a day and my staff will be there to help you... most customers of ours that call in multiple times are kind of "shy" and say "i'm so sorry i don't mean to bother you guys" and it's our policy to always make a customer comfortable. They are NEVER bothering us.

said by intelp4:

said by Tx:

To Marc:

This is just an example not a true story of a customer but simply to give context.

I have customers quite often blaming us for outages when it's a simple dns routing issue with their ISP in their country/area. Some for example are understanding that it's not within our control and some down right get mean, dirty and irate.

We never cancel due to an irate customer because we all get frustrated. If you're having a bad day a simple set off pisses you off when on a regular day you'd laugh it off. Just how we as human beings are with our emotions.

Other times we have customers who due to this "outage/dns issue" will threaten since my reps in tickets use first names with first letter of their last name in their signature (their choice how they do their signature) and our reps are harassed and it goes to far where as an issue is escalated to me and at times i'll decide to call up a customer to work things out and other times if it's bad enough i say, no way and like Marc, stand behind my staff.

I simply send a pre-written notice of termination email with an explanation as to why it's being terminated and they are welcome to join us again after a 60 day cool off period.

It doesn't happen often, i can count on 2 hands in 16 years how many i've done it with but as demands get higher it's an increasing trend.

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to Simpletwist
Telling the CSR to go f*** themselves? Most CSRs would (and should) hang up immediately.

I don't care how bad your day is, no one deserves that.

Shameful.

epsilon3

join:2008-03-29
canada
reply to Simpletwist
1 line summary: Simpletwist, you are an idiot!

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
said by epsilon3:

1 line summary: Simpletwist, you are an idiot!

Unnecessary............
Expand your moderator at work

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1
reply to Tx

said by Tx:

Other times we have customers who due to this "outage/dns issue" will threaten since my reps in tickets use first names with first letter of their last name in their signature (their choice how they do their signature) and our reps are harassed and it goes to far where as an issue is escalated to me and at times i'll decide to call up a customer to work things out and other times if it's bad enough i say, no way and like Marc, stand behind my staff.

I once had a customer tell a rep I worked with "I hope you get hit by a bus" when he told her that we hadn't heard back from the phone company on her trouble ticket yet. Needless to say that conversation ended pretty quickly.

Then there are regularly people who say things like "I'm a lawyer and my time is worth $200 an hour" and start threatening to send an invoice for their time troubleshooting when a front line rep asks them to power cycle there modem.

People are jerks to tech support agents, and its not exactly shocking tech support agents quickly get indifferent when someone is less then friendly.

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to Simpletwist
Removing all the emotion and kindergarten crap here:

1. Cx has a problem, calls in.
2. Cx meets CSR - they cant come to an arrangement -
3. CX gets aggravated - CSR does too.
4. Issue goes to management - recognizes CX has a case - offers significant compensation.
5. CX continues to be an idiot.

In my opinion ( business minded ) - F- that CX - you don't needs ones like that anyway - cant make them happy no matter what you do.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by Gimli:

In my opinion ... you don't needs ones like that anyway - cant make them happy no matter what you do.

Sure one can: just deliver the service they signed up and paid for.
Simple.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
mlord, the problem is their perception of what they signed up for and what it is they really signed up for are quite different.

My2Cents

@teksavvy.com
reply to Simpletwist
From the TSI home page...

At TekSavvy, you don't get just an ISP; you get an ISP that cares. We know you need choice, you need an alternative to the big guys, and you need to know at the end of the day we'll take care of you no matter what. We are committed to giving our customers the best service possible. In fact, we pride ourselves on that: on being able to give you more than you thought possible, all for a fair price, with great service, and with no contracts and no hidden fees.

Talk the talk, now walk the walk.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlord
said by mlord:

said by Gimli:

In my opinion ... you don't needs ones like that anyway - cant make them happy no matter what you do.

Sure one can: just deliver the service they signed up and paid for.
Simple in a perfect world.

Fixed that for you.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

ragingwolf

join:2003-04-22
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Simpletwist
Wow... If I was on the other other end of some of those calls, I would have politely warned the customer and disconnected. Verbally abusing the rep on the other end by swearing, yelling etc should be zero tolerance.

Sometimes I wish call centers would just add semi-block number type feature where if the customer calls back immediately, they would just be held in queue for a short time until they cool off and get their shit together. Eventually they'll get the message and at least talk in a more civilized manner >.>

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to My2Cents
said by My2Cents :

At TekSavvy, you don't get just an ISP; you get an ISP that cares. We know you need choice, you need an alternative to the big guys, and you need to know at the end of the day we'll take care of you no matter what. We are committed to giving our customers the best service possible. In fact, we pride ourselves on that: on being able to give you more than you thought possible, all for a fair price, with great service, and with no contracts and no hidden fees.

For most customers, they do. I've been far happier with TSI than I ever was with Rogers, Bell, or Cogeco. And that's true of every person I've referred, and every person I know who signed up on their own. No company is perfect, and tough situations come up. All you can judge them on is how hard they work to fix it, and whether or not they actually care if you get a resolution.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Fixed that for you.

Thanks!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

reply to ragingwolf
said by ragingwolf:

Sometimes I wish call centers would just add semi-block number type feature where if the customer calls back immediately, they would just be held in queue for a short time until they cool off and get their shit together.

I'm putting in a request to voip.ms for this. Hothead flag. Block/VM for 24 hours then release.

Fscking brilliant.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

My2Cents

@teksavvy.com
reply to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

said by My2Cents :

For most customers, they do. I've been far happier with TSI than I ever was with Rogers, Bell, or Cogeco. And that's true of every person I've referred, and every person I know who signed up on their own. No company is perfect, and tough situations come up. All you can judge them on is how hard they work to fix it, and whether or not they actually care if you get a resolution.

"and you need to know at the end of the day we'll take care of you no matter what."

Well for me it wasn't quite the end of the day, it was 2 1/2 days later when they finally shipped a replacement modem that I asked to please be rushed and paid $30 shipping. Rather than just drive to Canada Computers and have a new modem in my hand within an hour, I decided to give my business to Teksavvy. What I got in return was no useful information on the phone, and a curt "pay up or we'll cancel your order in 48 hours" e-mail.

I'm not exactly feeling the love right now.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
said by My2Cents :

"and you need to know at the end of the day we'll take care of you no matter what."

Well for me it wasn't quite the end of the day, it was 2 1/2 days later when they finally shipped a replacement modem that I asked to please be rushed and paid $30 shipping. Rather than just drive to Canada Computers and have a new modem in my hand within an hour, I decided to give my business to Teksavvy. What I got in return was no useful information on the phone, and a curt "pay up or we'll cancel your order in 48 hours" e-mail.

I'm not exactly feeling the love right now.

Would you mind sending me a PM TSI Martin See Profileso we can look at this situation together. I'd like to find out what happened.

Or if you'd rather post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum we can look at things there as well.

Thanks,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

cognizantt

join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC
reply to Simpletwist
when all of this started, i had sympathy for the OP. the OP's followup thread (this one) pretty much destroyed that.
marc went well beyond anything reasonable to try to resolve the situation.
the OP countered with continued abuse.
in marc's shoes, i'd terminate the account. no company needs this garbage and i somehow doubt tsi is in need of the marginal profits the account generates.
going to the bbb/etc is pointless, as another posted clarified. marc's intervention is more than satisfactory, and no bureau is going to disagree on that point.
so it's just the OP continuing to vent his hostility.
considering his need for net service, he places himself in a fragile situation.
again, cut him off.

mac, if you're reading this, please go back to your job.
the sad part of customer service jobs is there are always clients like the OP more than happy to continue creating problems.
marc believes in you, has faith in your skills, and wants you back. as he is the CEO, what more can you ask ?

take a week or two off if you need to get your balance back, but go back. you have tsi's support and a lot of support from readers on these threads.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Simpletwist
having worked in Tech Support and also in billing departments for Some of the Major Isps.. I can say someone quitting over an abusive customer is Sad but, part of the job if You care to much or cannot take the abuse which is part of the job u really shouldn't be doing it, Always important to remember that customers are mad at The problem not at You, now in macs Case once the customer threatened him i would have terminated the call and forwarded it to a manager myself.

I am with The majority here keep in Mind, I would not have credited simple twist 1 red cent, In-fact i would have Told him take it or leave it to bad. 2 Months Credit for 1 Missed Install date ? That's Ridiculous and all your doing there is feeding a squeaky wheel. he missed 1 weeks service, hes not a Biz customer, there is no entitlement or Sla for his service.. And he is a belligerent Ahole.. I dunno About you but if he does stay with teksavvy, i doubt hes worth the Income you will take years to recoop the redonkulous credit and Hes made it clear all he intends to do is use you for 2 months and move on. for the credit..

Honestly as a Decent honest teksavvy customer I Personally take offense That teksavvy still Does business with this Slimeball.

And I heap upon him the hope of DHCP errors or Modem Failure. Hes got a Large Karmic debt coming his way. Hope he enjoys paying it.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

My2Cents

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

Would you mind sending me a PM TSI Martin See Profileso we can look at this situation together. I'd like to find out what happened.

Or if you'd rather post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum we can look at things there as well.

Thanks,
Martin

Hello Martin, It seems that I can't post in Direct forum or PM you.

Thank you for your response. Unlike the OP, I don't want any financial compensation, I don't want to discourage anyone from using Teksavvy, I don't want to get anybody in trouble, and I most certainly don't want someone to lose their job or quit in frustration. I would hope that my experience could help you to better serve the needs of the customer when they call.

Perhaps I was asking for something special when I enquired about express shipping; I didn't know, I was desperate to get my internet and voip phone back. I had planned to work from home for much of the following week. On my first call on Saturday I was disconnected while on hold waiting for the CSR to find out about shipping options. Up to that point he was very helpful and sympathetic to the fact that my modem got damaged by a lightening hit and we were having a pleasant conversation; nobody was swearing or yelling at anybody. While on hold my line went silent, no music. I waited for about 15 minutes then hung up thinking that TSI might be trying to call me back. I had used the callback feature { great feature, by the way } and gave the cell number I was holding. So Point 1... if a customer with whom you're having a pleasant conversation gets disconnected while on hold, put them back in the queue for a call-back.

On my second call on Monday morning, I was calling just to verify that the order had gone through. I was told that because of the call disconnect, the order process was cancelled. I also had to hold this time while shipping options were investigated. I was told... they don't like to do that... it will take 3 days as opposed to 3 - 5 days normal shipping. That didn't seem right to me since $30 buys you overnight delivery within Ontario. Basically the CSR, as pleasant as she may have been, and fully deserving to keep her job and even receive a raise, really had no idea how long it would take for me to receive a replacement modem. Once I had given all the details and requested the $30 express option, the CSR told me that this would be taken from the credit card on record. I asked if there even was a credit card on record; I honestly don't remember if I ever used a CC with TSI. At the beginning of the call I was asked "how do you pay for your service?" I answered "online banking". At this point I think the CSR was confused as how to handle this payment situation. Point 2... CSRs should have better access to such information as shipping times. Also, she should have transferred me to accounting as soon as there was any question of payment method that she couldn't answer. Here was a customer willing and eager to pay, just wanted to know how.

That evening, I got the infamous e-mail....

We have received your order; thank you for thinking of us.

As stated at time of registration, we are a prepaid service and we require confirmation of payment before we can process your order.

To make an online or telephone banking payment:

...snip...

Orders are held in our system for 48 hours. After that time the order is cancelled, and the process will need to be started over.

Point 3... This is not a very pleasant message; the kind that I would expect from Bell or Rogers, not from "an ISP that cares". "After that time the order is cancelled"? I really don't feel the "thank you for thinking of us" vibe of the opening statement. This was especially frustrating to receive after I had already said that my internet was down. I did the banking transaction while sitting in my car using a hot spot. My response e-mail may have hinted at my displeasure with this, and not being told this requirement on my earlier call.

I call in on Wednesday to check if the modem had been shipped. Someone has to be at home to sign for the package, so I want to get some idea of when that might be. I get a "maybe it will ship today, maybe tomorrow" response. Point 4.. Keep better track of customer orders and know the current status.

On Thursday I finally received a confirmation e-mail for my payment. No mention of whether or not the modem was shipped, no tracking number, nothing. In contrast, I ordered some additional network gear from a small Toronto company on a Friday morning. On that same afternoon I got a shipping confirmation notice with a tracking number that I could follow online and knew exactly when to expect a package. Delivery was Monday, and the shipping cost was $9.99. Now that's service!

The modem did arrive on Friday, but honestly if it had not.. after asking my wife to stay home for 2 days and wait for a package I didn't even know when to expect, I would have stopped at the Rogers store on the way home from work and asked if I could sign up on the spot and walk out of there with a modem. That's how frustrated I was, I was willing to make a deal with the devil, ugh!

Thanks for listening Martin.

Here's something you might find interesting about the CSR / Customer relationship...

»www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/custo···ice.html

Rastan

join:2007-04-25
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to Simpletwist
mac, if you're reading this, please go back to your job.
I'd advise him to go back to his job but only until he finds something better. Tech support & customer service jobs stink! These people are forced to take crap from customers for problems they didn't cause and for things they are unable to fix and to top it all off, they're often forced to deal with jerks.

I don't think you can do this job and care for more than 6-12 months. After that point, most people either stop caring or the job gets to them and they quit.

Although I can understand why the OP is upset, Teksavvy needs to implement a policy that allows their employees to immediately disconnect the call once the customer becomes abusive. They also need to have enough managers to take escalations as this will cut down on these types of problem calls.