Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by HiVolt:

I'm always astonished how Apple always has these problems with server capacity and other technical glitches on launch days...

100 freakin billion dollars and they can't hire the right people and invest in the right hardware?

People argue why spend the money in infrastructure for a single day, abnormal load... my reply is spread the roll-out out then. But no, Apple probably likes to gloat that demand was so high it brought their servers down. Still bad for an IT company though.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I rolled back to 5.1.1 and immediately after saw no problem with the store so it wasn't traffic. I was able to DL Prometheus no sweat along with a few other apps.

While I had problems off and on connecting to the iTunes store yesterday on my iPhone4 running 5.1.1...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to HiVolt

MVM,

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I'll make the argument Nezmo was mentioning...

What do you do with the extra resources to cover launch day the other 364 days out of the year? It just sits there wasting space, energy, and money.

That being said, I agree the rollout should be gradual. But then people would complain that they have to wait. Can't make everybody happy.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
They constantly add capacity anyway... So add more for a huge launch day so you have ample capacity, then when the load decreases reassign the servers to do something else like icloud.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to darcilicious

MVM,

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Who says you have to keep those resources year around? That's not how real hosting is done these days, especially when you've partnered with CDN providers.

Not all of their problems are content distribution. AFAIK, most iTunes content (including the iOS firmware files) are not actually hosted from Apple's servers. But eventually, every iOS device has to connect back to Apple. They're not going to keep the master iTunes/App Store/Signing server databases on third-party servers.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

The solution is simple...you roll out iOS6, then a week later roll out the enhanced apps that are still iOS5 compatible meaning you only roll out apps on launch day that otherwise won't run on iOS6.

You don't dump the OS plus a gazillion updated apps on the same day.

Then people will complain that a certain app they want isn't upgraded yet. You can't please everyone, no matter what you do.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Marketing. This way they can say the demand was so high it crashed the servers.

bumblebones
@verizon.net

bumblebones to skeechan

Anon

to skeechan
how can i rollback ios6 back to 5.1.1 on my iphone4 apple ios6 is rotten to the core and the worms in MR.JOBS OLD OFFICE should have never made that update available to any iphones under 4s

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You can't unless your phone was previously jailbroken or you saved your 5.1.1 SHSH Blobs some other way (TinyUmbrella).