Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
said by HotRodFoto:

I am getting this, any ideas???

Have you tried rebooting?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

HotRodFoto
Premium
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO
said by StuartMW:

said by HotRodFoto:

odd, did that and seemed to have fixed it. No idea what was going on
--
Capturing the images of Colorado
»jdebordphoto.com
Expand your moderator at work

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to HotRodFoto

Re: Microsoft out-of-band security bulletin September 21, 2012

said by HotRodFoto:

I am getting this, any ideas??? Can't install it

It's a bit misleading because it can mean 2 things

1. Quite literally the update failed, or my favorite;
2. The installer tried adding the files to the O/S while in use and failed instead of alerting you to reboot.

I've seen a few errors like that where a reboot fixed it. Not sure why that specific red alert though, very few failed again after a reboot. However there has been an update or 2 recently that ended in an endless loop with that error.

If a reboot fixed it, I'd just move on. You can however always check the files in question by looking at the versions to see if the update was applied correctly?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to norwegian
said by norwegian:

• Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB973688)
• Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB954430)

You are aware that those other updates are not new to Windows Update?
They came out quite a long time ago.
I installed them over two months ago after re-installing Windows 7... but it appears they were deployed on Windows Update in between 2008 and 2011.
»technet.microsoft.com/en-us/secu···ms08-069
»support.microsoft.com/kb/973688
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to HotRodFoto
Based on your screenshot and a query of MS Answers, it seems to be a common problem.
»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Sear···on=false

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Dustyn
Click for full size
said by Dustyn:

You are aware that those other updates are not new to Windows Update?
They came out quite a long time ago.

Who knows why? I have updates checked regularly and set to automatic.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to HotRodFoto
said by HotRodFoto:

said by StuartMW:

said by HotRodFoto:

odd, did that and seemed to have fixed it. No idea what was going on

Computers and electronics do weird things sometimes. Reboots usually fix them!
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK
Microsoft Could Have Known About IE Security Flaw In Advance
quote:
It has been suggested that Microsoft knew about the recent IE security flaw which hit its Internet Explorer browser last week, almost two months before it came to the attention of the experts.

On 15 September, Microsoft acknowledged that an IE security flaw was being actively targeted for attacks using a previously unknown and unpatched vulnerability, after it was identified by Romang, a security researcher from the Metasploit project.

The vulnerability was present in Internet Explorer 9 and earlier versions. According to Microsoft, it “could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted webpage using Internet Explorer.” An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability “could gain the same user rights as the current user.”

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by siljaline:

Microsoft Could Have Known About IE Security Flaw In Advance

quote:
It has been suggested that Microsoft knew about the recent IE security flaw which hit its Internet Explorer browser last week, almost two months before it came to the attention of the experts.

On 15 September, Microsoft acknowledged that an IE security flaw was being actively targeted for attacks using a previously unknown and unpatched vulnerability, after it was identified by Romang, a security researcher from the Metasploit project.

The vulnerability was present in Internet Explorer 9 and earlier versions. According to Microsoft, it “could allow remote code execution if a user views a specially crafted webpage using Internet Explorer.” An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability “could gain the same user rights as the current user.”

I guess MS thought it wasn't that urgent until recent news. :/
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Most distrubing that MS had information:
quote:
According to ZDI’s own listings, the organisation submitted its most recent advisory from an “anonymous” researcher to Microsoft on 24 July. If that advisory contained information about the IE Zero-Day, the Redmond company had almost two months to come up with a solution.
And then MS pushes out the out-of-band patch.