spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazelsmrf
@electronicbox.net

Hazelsmrf

Anon

[Homephone] Disconnecting Bell line

I'm trying to disconnect my Bell line so I can use the internal wiring in my house for VOIP. The problem I'm running into is that my wiring is very confusing and nobody that I've asked so far has been able to make any sense of it!

Here's a link to a pic:
»imageshack.us/photo/my-i ··· egx.jpg/

Basically I have 3 black wires coming into the house. One is coming in to the back of the big grey box on the left, and I have no access to that one. One comes in and splits into the 8 colored wires that are connected on the front of that grey box. And one comes in, splits into two copper wires and connects to that right most black box (on the bottom 2 screws).

I used to have Fibe internet so the tech had come and installed that ADSL white box on the top.

The phone jack in the left box is not connected to anything, if I unplug it I still have a dial tone on my phone. The red and green wires are just dangling freely.

I tried disconnecting the black wire that splits onto the right black box, and while that did cut the dial tone off, I'm not sure that was the correct wire because my VOIP wasn't working on internal wires, so I'm not sure if the problem is with me not taking down the right wires, or me not setting up the VOIP correctly. (The VOIP works fine when I plug the phone directly into the device).

Oh and I'm on cable internet now so the DSL isn't in use, and I do have a home alarm system but I've advised them that I'm disconnecting the phone and have moved to a different system for that.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Mess indeed.
How did you connect the VOIP box to your internal phone system?

Based on your description I assume your inside pair (the ones that supply phone service to the jacks in your home) are the Brown, and White/Brown stripe wires connected to the right most old style NID.

Given that this pair feeds into the ADSL splitter it might just be easier to look at it and remove the two wires (pair) which connect to it on the Phone terminals. I can't make out any useful details on the splitter as it is in shadow, but I think it would be the right most set of wires (looks like yellow & green) on the ADSL splitter assuming yours is this one:
»www.hometech.com/hts_ima ··· 0a_4.jpg

IMHO I would disconnect the brown wires from the line side of the splitter, and put the VOIP box down on that wall and connect the green yellow wires from the splitter to the phone output of the VOIP box.

Hazelsmrf
@electronicbox.net

Hazelsmrf

Anon

Ayeeee!

For the VOIP box, I have an Ooma Telo, and I had just plugged it into the phone jack near my modem/router in the office.

So you think by removing two wires from the ADSL splitter (which is indeed the same one you posted) it would stop the connection to the outside line?

Here is a less shadowy pic of the splitter, do you mean the yellow and green wires going into the "T" letter labelled Phone on the right side? So not the green wire wedged on top?

»imageshack.us/a/img195/5 ··· 6utc.jpg

hazelsmrf
@electronicbox.net

hazelsmrf to Thane_Bitter

Anon

to Thane_Bitter
Oh and what really confuses me, is that the right most black box and the ADSL splitter are in no way connected to the left grey box or the left black box. The splitter line (the beige round one that you see on the left) goes off and that's the line that's installed in my office, where my modem used to be hooked up. I used to have a regular old phone jack in there but Bell tech came and changed my phone jack, rigged up this whole new line, and changed my jack to another one of those splitters (same as the one in the picture). So my office phone is connected in the "phone" jack on that splitter, but it shares the same line as the ones in the rest of the house... which confuses me, because how are they the same line when the connections don't meet up anywhere?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by hazelsmrf :

Oh and what really confuses me, is that the right most black box and the ADSL splitter are in no way connected to the left grey box or the left black box. The splitter line (the beige round one that you see on the left) goes off and that's the line that's installed in my office, where my modem used to be hooked up. I used to have a regular old phone jack in there but Bell tech came and changed my phone jack, rigged up this whole new line, and changed my jack to another one of those splitters (same as the one in the picture). So my office phone is connected in the "phone" jack on that splitter, but it shares the same line as the ones in the rest of the house... which confuses me, because how are they the same line when the connections don't meet up anywhere?

Yes, but on the right black box... I see 2 beige wires going from the splitter, one like you said going to the left and one is going on the right... so where is the right going ?

Anyway, by taking off the black wire on the right black box... you'll eliminate the dial tone from bell. Maybe you problem is the splitters... I would just run a new cable.

Hazelsmrf
@electronicbox.net

Hazelsmrf

Anon

Hmm ok, well the dial tone definitely stops when I take out those black wires, but the VOIP doesn't work on the jacks so I guess that's out. I guess the next best solution will be to buy cordless phones with extra handsets and just plug the main unit directly into the Telo.

xbell
@cgocable.net

xbell

Anon

I do these for customers all the time. There are guys in the phone book who do this if you can't figure it out. The white brown from the right prot. should be disconnected but the modem circuit has to be reconstituted. I usually just tone out what the customer wants to work on voip and connect to their voip. I set it up so they can reconnect it to a wet loop if they go back.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to Hazelsmrf

to Hazelsmrf
said by Hazelsmrf :

Hmm ok, well the dial tone definitely stops when I take out those black wires, but the VOIP doesn't work on the jacks so I guess that's out. I guess the next best solution will be to buy cordless phones with extra handsets and just plug the main unit directly into the Telo.

I would take out the postsplitter aswell... Anyway like I said, it would almost be better to run a new wire or if you want go wireless.