how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Don1806

join:2012-09-21
Mahomet, IL

[IL] Phone and Internet Drops Out for Past 3-4 Weeks

For the past 3 weeks we have had constant drops in service where HSI becomes unresponsive and times out. During these "drops" the Phone also loses the ability to hear the other party. The other party on the phone can hear us, and the connection is still live, but we can't hear them. Eventually it will come back on.

The lights on the modem never go out when this happens.

Signal levels on Mediacom modem:

Downstream
Freq/Power: 117.000 MHz 6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB
Modulation: QAM256

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upstream
Freq/Power: 26.000 MHz 41 dBmV
Channel Type: Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA)

Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec

Modulation: QAM16

I tried to call for service this morning, but there is no way to speak to a rep, the system simply tells you to call back later. Apparently there is a high call volume and large outage somewhere. We have service this morning, but this has increased in frequency the past few days.

Router is a Linksys Dual Wan Router RV082 with current firmware, but this issue doesn't appear to involve the router.

Thoughts?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

If you want to send me your telephone# or your MAC address I can take a look at your connection and see what we can do to get this fixed for you.

Don1806

Mahomet, IL

Message sent with phone number. Thanks for the fast reply!

Don1806

Mahomet, IL
reply to MediacomChad

Info sent. Thank you!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to Don1806

You're welcome. I am checking into this now.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Don1806

do you have a docsis 3 modem? if not get one and that will fix the issue since you have phone mediacom will have to replace the modem. I was having same issues here in fisher they upgraded the cmts in mohomet to D3 and for some reason the upgrade is knocking d1 and d2 modems for a loop. I replaced my sb5101 with a sb6121 and all was fixed plus I'm bonding channels so I dont see speed drop outs like I did.

Don1806

Mahomet, IL

Thanks for the info. Waiting to hear back from MediacomChad on his findings and will call to inquire about modem replacement as well. Last time I checked, they had all of our traffic rerouted to Waterloo IA so I figured something was up with the system or infrastructure here.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

nah mediacom went to these 50. ip addys and it says were in Iowa. They just could not leave the 173. addys alone atleast they showed the geo location data right. the 50. will say Iowa till mediacom gets crap straight on there end. That could take years lol...

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

said by GLIMMER:

nah mediacom went to these 50. ip addys and it says were in Iowa. They just could not leave the 173. addys alone atleast they showed the geo location data right. the 50. will say Iowa till mediacom gets crap straight on there end. That could take years lol...

That's not Mediacom's problem.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

its not a ican problem it your problem you really look stupid defending mediacom sometimes. Mediacom is the one who decided to switch to 50. addys. So yes there the problem

Doityourself

@mycingular.net

Do you ever have anything positive to contribute? Bogon filtering lists are not controlled by the ISPs. All the ISPs can do is request they remove their scope from the list and go from there. What is mediacom suppose to do?

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

First off I was trying to help the op. Second get an account before you say stuff. Third its mediacoms fault because they chose to switch IP addresses. Mediacom always does things half way.

Don1806

Mahomet, IL
reply to Don1806

Had some messages back and forth with Mediacom Chad. Tech is coming out tomorrow.

As far the IP address - good riddance to the 173 address. I hope it's gone for good. It caused numerous problems connecting to a work VPN that no one could ever get resolved, because the BOGON lists appear to be no one's resposibility to fix (either at work or at their various ISP's.) We had to install a Frontier DSL connection for the work PC ever since the 173 IP was issued. Nice to see we can connect to that with Mediacom again.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

What were the ips before 173? Was it 69.?

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

they were 12.x.x.x

Don1806

Mahomet, IL
reply to Don1806

Seems to be resolved. The tech came out and replaced the modem which has been here since 2005 and the initial install. He also cleaned up the wiring on the outside of the house and installed a weatherproof box for the connections, which were originally secured to the house with a couple of small metal brackets.

Speeds are much better and no more drops on the phone!

MediacomChad was fantastic! He stayed in touch the whole time and got the tech scheduled for me, then followed up when the work order was closed.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

I am glad the issue has been resolved.

ryamjohnson0

join:2012-09-07
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to GLIMMER

I contacted Mediacom Support and they also suggested its a docsis 1.0 issue with my Modem (Motorola SB5101). Modem basically burns itself out. They are going to send me a test Doscis 2.0+ perhaps 3.0 and see if it makes a difference. If so I will purchase a new one myself.

He (Tech) sounded pretty convinced that the old modems cant handle the lastest speed increase 15Mbps. He also stated this fixed his home connection as well.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keep me updated once you get the new modem.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL
reply to ryamjohnson0

the sad thing is the sb5101 is a docsis 2 modem not a 1.0... There is a problem with channel 102 my 5101 will conect to it and it causes problem the sb6121 wont connect to that channel so all is well

ryamjohnson0

reply to ryamjohnson0

Will do.

ryamjohnson0

reply to GLIMMER

Good point the Motorola SB5101 is a Doscis 2.0. We'll see what happens either way.

ryamjohnson0

Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Don1806

Well I received a 3.0 Thompson modem from Mediacom to try out to see if it would fix my disconnects. It appears to have "fixed" the issue. Now just to find a modem I can buy myself. Any recommendations from anyone? I'm hearing the Moto 6121 is not supported, but the 6120 is.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

the sb6121 will work im using it. they just cant push firmware to it because they have not asked motorola for the files.

ryamjohnson0

I understand the SB6121 works, but whats the disadvantages of Mediacom not being able to push firmware to it vs having one that can?

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

they will get the firmware sometime in the future its hard not to since the sb6121 is the mainstream d3 modem in walmart bb and other stores. The problem with the cisco modems is they are not able to be purchased at a store only online atleast in this area.