XoLiMiT
join:2001-10-04
Englishtown, NJ

XoLiMiT

[WIN8] AD Sites and Services Issue

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hello Guys,

I am hoping someone can help me with an issue that's been bugging me for a while now.

In my environment we have about 100 Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers located at 100 different physical locations. These physical locations are connected by a WAN. In most cases these WAN links are relatively slow and therefore, we have a local Domain Controller on-site to assit with the load.

The issue i am having is that the PCs and users are not retrieving policies and/or authenticating to the local Domain Controller. It appears that it is simply performing a round-robin routine to identify an available domain controller and not going to the local 1 specified in the sites and services

If i do an nslookup of my domain i do see all the IP Addresses listed for all our DCs.

The way our DCs are currently configured at these individual sites is as follows;

- Server has two physical networks/IPs
Network 1:
IP: 10.25.1.25
Subnet 255.255.224.0
Default Gateway 10.25.1.1

Network 2:
IP: 10.25.150.27
Subnet 255.255.224.0
Default Gateway 10.25.150.1

- Server acts as DHCP Server with two scopes normally.
1st Scope
10.25.1.50 - 10.25.1.250
2nd Scope
10.25.150.100 - 10.25.150.250

In some cases it might have many additional scopes as you can see from the attached picture.

I've been told that this was working when we only had two dhcp scopes per location but now that we've added multiple DHCP scopes it no longer identifies the local DC.

However, i am seeing this issue even at locations with only two DHCP scopes.

The subnet is added for each sites scope and the correct ADs site has been selected.

This is happening for all sites and not just one.

Any guidance to a solution would be greatly appreciated. I have been told that this issue may be because of the way microsoft calculates the subnet based on the PCs ip address and it may not be correctly identifying the subnet.

Thanks,
Rick

GM85
Click, Click
join:2002-07-02
Canada

GM85

I don't know if I have much advice, but I just wanted to confirm something:

I see in your screenshot you have all your subnets defined, and each subnet is assigned to a particular site.

In each site, have you also placed the domain controller for that site (under Sites - site name - Servers?)

XoLiMiT
join:2001-10-04
Englishtown, NJ

XoLiMiT

Click for full size
Gramzster,

Sorry, forgot to attach that screen shot.

As you can see its configured correctly for every one of the sites.

Thanks,
Rick
XoLiMiT

XoLiMiT

Anyone able to provide assistance in resolving the above mentioned issue?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rick