how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

singular9

join:2012-09-21
Simpsonville, SC

[Speed Problem] DSL download speed fluctuates crazy

ok so about 3 weeks ago i started to notice on my download speed monitor using task manager that my download speed would fluctuate from 700kbps max to about 450-500kbps up and down randomly. i thought its not that big of a deal and it would fix itself.
it didn't it got worse. i pay for the dsl lite and get 250kb min and 700kb max, it fluctuates from 0kb to 2500kb. crazy, it usually goes up to around 700-1000kb stays there for 10-15 seconds and then drops to 0-50kb for about a minuted and then starts again. technician came and said their was some kind of a problem at the box, and the next day sent a guy to fix it. he said he fixed it but then said that they need to fix it at the "office" too. what? weird right. nothing has been fixed, no mater what they do, nothing is working properly ever with at&t. charter has been in my area for a year now, and i tried to switch to it and they say im some 50 fee to far away from their box. does distance matter. i mean can you go and get a longer wire or something.

so here are my questions
1. why is my internet going crazy
2. does distance matter when getting charter?

ICanHazDSL3

join:2010-04-19
Griffin, GA
kudos:5
What speed test site are you using?.....typically the A&T site and speakeasy.net are very reliable. As long as you have no activity on the line at the time of the test it should be very close to your purchased speed.

If you have someone streaming netflix and you try to run a test at the same time the results are going to be skewed. Depending on your location and dslam, their could be several places that need to be fixed, but no way for you to tell your network path through AT&T's facilities.

As far as Charter, no idea on distance with cable...but I can tell you that cable attenuates quickly(gets weaker) as soon as it comes off the drop on the pole. Not sure about distance when bringing into neighborhoods, etc

singular9

Simpsonville, SC
i used all the ones i can find and the thing just goes crazy hitting highs and lows. it gives the average speed but it does not show the minimum and maximum. att does not understand the situation here. its like im talking to robots that are sitting beside a magnet. they don't work. i got through to one person and she made the technicians erase my stuff and build my internet from ground up she said and it did not fix it either. they replaced the box and main box. nothing.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to singular9
Keep in mind those high speeds you see are momentary bursts... and the lulls are pauses when sample taken. (both ways)

What is your average speed?

If by lite you mean the 256kbs or even 1.5mbs service you seem to be doing OK overall.
--

bigred44

join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC
Get rid or ATT. I just did.

singular9

Simpsonville, SC
sorry, att dominates my neighborhood, charter to far away (20 feet to far).
i would gladly chuck that modem into the owner of att's face.

cubguy

join:2010-07-09
Greenwood Springs, MS
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
Same here Singular, its the only game in town here...Our speed has been fluctuating here this week. We upgraded to 3.0 this week and it was down as far as 768 today. Only back up to 1.6 now. Have a service call scheduled tomorrow and wondering what they will try and fix this time. Have New NID, New Modem, and New Pedestal, not to mention new card in the box. Only thing they can do is move the modem jack closer to the NID, that is all thats left.

cwill

join:2012-08-31
reply to singular9
Ask the service tech what kind of DSLAM you are on. If it is one of the old MRA's that is possibly your problem. Ask if they can move you to another DSLAM (sometimes there are multiple types in the same switch box). I had similar problem which was immediately fixed when I was moved to Catina DSLAM.
Note that they may tell you that you are getting good downloads according to their equipment. Their equipment shows raw signal speed which is not the same as download speed. (Think of the difference been revving a car's engine and actually accelerating on the road). They told us we were getting 3.5 Mbps when in fact we were only seeing 0.3 to 0.8 Mbps, with a max of 1.3 Mbps. After the DSLAM change we are getting 2.9 Mbps.

singular9

Simpsonville, SC
the tech said its either the main box, or main cable underground. but they really still dont know. he has to talk to his manager. they have been working on it for a week. to download an app using my wifi at home that is 1mb takes 30 minutes or more, it downloads a part then stalls out

dandeman
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to singular9
Interesting... my DSL speed starting fluctuating heavily also in the Research Triangle Park area, N.C. I have 6mb DSL for for a long time it was consistently close to the limit..
Expand your moderator at work

singular9

Simpsonville, SC
reply to singular9

Re: [Speed Problem] DSL download speed fluctuates crazy

im back, after this time of 2 months, 4 technicians came, and i talked to everyone, supposedly some manager fired half his staff because they were not working. My whole neighborhood has the issue, but they pay for the fast internet so they dont notice, mine hits between -1 and 1 mega bytes, its insane. then when i download a file from the web, it stops downloading because the internet hits 0 and it looses its connection. My modem and lines are awsome, but att is retarded. charter says that i need to petition my area to get charter in my house. FAIL

singular9

Simpsonville, SC
reply to singular9
2 months, same probelm, what on earth att, im not the only one with the issue, my whole neighborhood has the issue, and you dont care. wow, great. you monopolize the world and make everyone use your internet, then you cut it off, or what

singular9

Simpsonville, SC
reply to singular9
Click for full size
this is just crazy, still same problem, this is just really retarded seriously. look at my speed graph.