uniqs

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

How about I was raised on a farm? I know what hard work is? You have no idea what my life has been like, and I didn't start the generalizations, let's bring this full circle shall we?

It was stated that "many" grad students are lazy and unemployed or underemployed. I have a right to make my defense. The generalization had absolutely nothing to do with the article in question.

There is no pity party, because that implies that I complain about the work I do, when in fact I am here because I want to be here. What I DON'T like is when people start generalizing large groups of people, which in retrospect, I did out of anger which isn't justified so I own up to that conclusion.

However, in light of what I said, I think it's fair to stand up for my generation rather than watch the previous generation demonize this one. Sure, we haven't had to work in a coal mine, or walk miles and miles to get to school. Let me ask you this: do you think we would still do it if we had to? I have a feeling that we would, hell, I would if I had to. I would get used to it eventually.

The whole purpose that I even posted here in the first place was because I feel like Facebook gets way more hate than it needs to, and that it's "popular" to hate on them because people are unproductive BECAUSE of facebook. That is not true, and I think it's sad now that we have individuals who cannot muster up the self discipline to work rather than play.

And then the implication of "lazy grad" students came into play, which I was not going to allow go unchallenged, because I am obligated to speak up. It's a public forum, and even though the topic was "possibly" in the bounds of the OP, it shouldn't have been said at all. It contributed nothing to the discussion, and made sweeping gestures over a large population of individuals.

So before you go demonizing my post, realize the context of my post.

I am sure that if I lived back then, I would have conformed with the times.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I grew up on a farm. When I was young, there was no TV and the phone had a crank on the side and the line was shared by several neighbors. I feel privileged to have witnessed the advance of technology to the point that in the area where I was born, everyone has cell phones and other more sophisticated technology. A cousin who owns a farm not far from my childhood home was a Microsoft employee and is retired now. He also grew up farming but became a software developer for an independent company that was bought out by MS. Needless to say, he has modernized the old farmhouse where he lives now to state of the art when it comes to energy efficiency and connectivity. OTOH, I have never checked to see whether he has a Facebook account.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

Haha. That would be awesome to see!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I broke down and tried a search for his name on Facebook, but do not see him. So, maybe he's smarter than me (he probably is)

I did find his address via a company listing, so he is not secret. I know it is him because I recognize the address.

The Limit
Premium Member
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

I think there is a security measure in place where you can "hide" your name from random searches.