dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Its about time!!ALLVID NOW »
This is a sub-selection from What's the big deal?
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to andyross

to andyross

Re: What's the big deal?

said by andyross:

Too many people use their DVR's for long-term storage.

The "big deal" is - when your dealing with MPEG2 HD recording, it takes up probably DOUBLE the (HDD) space of MPEG4 HD. So IMHO, while a 500G HDD is "reasonable" for, say, either sat provider - it IS simply too small for any (current) cable system - or FiOS for that matter. Even Tivo realizes this, as their cheapest DVR only has 500g; the rest all start at 1TB+.

If/when they transition their HD all over to MPEG4, then it might be a different story...

If this actually DOES come to fruition, then it wouldn't be so bad in keeping their current Moto DCX series of DVR boxes. As long as it has enough HDD space & 30 second skip, I'm pretty happy with any DVR.

Presumably there are security codes and encryption on the stored data, and if you change your box, there goes all your recordings.

(as mogamer already posted at the same time I did )
Yes, but you do realize it does NOT have to be that way! DISH Network ties ALL your recordings to your account - & NOT to a specific receiver/access card. You can move recordings freely between external (multiple) hard drives, & even multiple receivers on your SAME account. This IS the way it should be from ANY TV provider.
Unfortunately, DirecTV ties recordings to a specific receiver/access card combo...been there, done that!

I also wonder just how much Comcast will charge to enable this feature?

Considering NEITHER DBS provider - or the other cable co. that offer this feature do, Comcast should NOT, either!

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

2 edits

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by dishrich:

said by andyross:

Too many people use their DVR's for long-term storage.

The "big deal" is - when your dealing with MPEG2 HD recording, it takes up probably DOUBLE the (HDD) space of MPEG4 HD. So IMHO, while a 500G HDD is "reasonable" for, say, either sat provider - it IS simply too small for any (current) cable system - or FiOS for that matter. Even Tivo realizes this, as their cheapest DVR only has 500g; the rest all start at 1TB+.

If/when they transition their HD all over to MPEG4, then it might be a different story...

What is that crap?

That was my TV Capture card in Win98 days man, c'mon.

Nobody uses MPEG for anything anymore unless you do sh1t off yer digi cam or do DVD's which is stupid as rewritable HDD storage is actually cheaper per MB. Oh, and now most all units stream off the network...DLNA/Gaming console, etc. anyone?

Oh, and we have better GUI's than you'll ever have.
»xbmc.org/

The Scene groups have officially switched over to high quality MKV/MP4 now. A 40min show is like 130-350MB in damn good qual. Never any commercials, ever.

So, you are saying by default, that pirated is better quality than what you currently are allowed to PAY to DVR?

I LOLZ....
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by caffeinator:

Nobody uses MPEG for anything anymore

Too bad reality states otherwise. Almost everything in the broadcast world is still using MPEG(2).

Using MPEG4 or H.264 as a codec for scene groups is about reducing the size. Almost everything is ripped from sources using MPEG2 so you're not gaining any quality.
« Its about time!!ALLVID NOW »
This is a sub-selection from What's the big deal?