spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

imanon

@comcast.net

problem with MS news sites in non-IE browsers

Strange problem, if “msnbc.112.2o7.net” is blocked I cannot click any links (such as to read any article) on nbcnews.com or newsvine.com
…only when the browser is Chrome, or Safari
…if the browser is IE, links work, even when this site remains blocked.

This worked fine up until a few days ago.
Unblocking: msnbc.112.2o7.net makes the site links work in all browsers again.

What is going on here? MS and NBC are/were in bed with each other, so is this a way to “force” users into using IE?

The blocking method makes no difference; for example if msnbc.112.2o7.net is blocked via the local hosts file, an upstream DNS server, in the router, or via a browser plug-in such as ad-block plus, etc.

Any ideas why this domain suddenly seems required and only for non-IE browsers, whereas it didn’t before?

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
Why are you using that URL instead of NBC's home page URL? I did find this: »www.omniture.com/en/privacy/2o7? ··· o7?f=2o7
quote:
What are 2o7.net & omtrdc.net?

2o7.net and omtrdc.net are domains used by Adobe to help provide portions of its products and services, including Adobe® SiteCatalyst® and Adobe® SearchCenter+ products. Specifically, these domains may be used by Adobe to place cookies, on behalf of its customers, on the browsers of visitors to customers' websites.

Which makes it totally bizarre you would ever use your link in the first place.

EDIT: I get the same thing in IE9 and Chrome.

imanon

@comcast.net
I think you misunderstood...
I am visiting »www.nbcnews.com or »www.newsvine.com directly, in the browser's address bar.

The domain 'msnbc.112.2o7.net' is blocked independently by an up-stream system. The domains 'nbcnews.com' and 'newsvine.com' are not blocked.

When this 3rd party domain is blocked, as it has been for years, you can't click on any links to anything shown on nbcnews.com or newsvine.com

If your new to this concept, I would suggest reading: »www.google.com/search?q=HOSTS+fi ··· STS+file

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to imanon
Right-clicking on the link and opening in a new tab/window works for me in Chrome. (My hunch is the click event is being handled in AJAX and is doing some metrics posting to those blocked domains.)

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to imanon
said by imanon :

I think you misunderstood...
I am visiting »www.nbcnews.com or »www.newsvine.com directly, in the browser's address bar.

Yes, I misunderstood.
quote:
If your new to this concept, I would suggest reading: »www.google.com/search?q=HOSTS+fi ··· STS+file

I once worked for NBC and have a 10-year old web dev company. I more than understand the concept.

imanon

@comcast.net
reply to DC DSL
Interesting, I too see the right-click open in a new tab/window works...

But I don't have to do that on IE, the link just works.

I agree 100% with your hunch, so I've been trying to prove/figure out WHY using wireshark and fiddler - so far I'm not getting it.