spc
uniqs
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

So many of today's college grads are sadly also products of a butchered approach to education (not their fault though).

But still, a lot of today's youths, with 'higher education' can barely hold their own in a conversation with me.

And too many have gone to college and gotten entirely stupid college degrees worth nothing in the real working world.

Told my son the other day, of all the shop classes at high school the best one was the boring one, welding. Welders get paid well. Any doofus can do construction though.

A college course in RUNNING a business will do more for you than a lot of course that seemed 'neat' but have already been over done.

We don't need any more high techy graphics designer IT types.

My niece is getting work in social worker activities. No shortage of screwed up youths out there. I think she might get good use out of the course.

You need to have training someone actually wants, not just what you wanted to do. I always tell people, you don't need to like the job, you only need to like the money.
But too many times, people will turn down too many jobs that they simply don't want to do. And then people whine that foreigners are taking all the jobs. Well why not, no one wanted them. They bust their ass, live in big groups in small homes, and save like crazy, and then in a few years time, you end up asking THEM for a job at their store.

There's a lesson in there.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit

Premium Member

No I totally agree, that's why I'm getting a degree in something that is flexible and stretches my mind in using formal logic (Mathematics).

There are many uses for Mathematics in the IT industry (networking and coding). In fact, Mathematics has helped me write better programs because my logical skills have increased ten fold.

I know that I won't have a glamorous job coming out of college, that's understandable, and if all I had to choose from was working at convenience store making minimum wage then I'd take it. I don't complain about work, even if it's work that I don't necessarily like.

Mathematics is used in EVERY field, and it's not an easy degree to get. I didn't go to school with the notion that I would be guaranteed to get a job, I went with the notion that I would be guaranteed an education, and maybe a job if I work hard.

But you make good points, and they have been noted.