tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to voltagesucks

Re: [Cable] Any updates on Cogeco?

Well Teksavvy was very lucky I did not discover all these sites back last April when I switched. I really want to get with Teksavvy but when I made the promise to go back I did not know of Acanac or Start which already offers it. I am just mad it was supposed to be in November and December and all this math was not done like months ago to find that this would be a problem.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON
reply to kcorscadden

Just a question if Teksavvy is going to see this. Could you estimate another time like March, April or if it will come?

swe3tdave

join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC
reply to TSI Keith

i live in quebec and where i am, there is just no way i can get internet with a provider other than Cogeco right now. I'm paying 67ish dollars a month plus tax(about 80$ a month total) so i can have enough bandwidth, for what i do. Mostly netflix, crackle and funimation.

if Teksavvy ever resell Cogeco, is it going to be for all Ontario and Quebec? Or just a few selected area?

at this point, i'm not expecting much, i mean we've been hearing the same thing over and over. "dont really know", "Maybe", "in a few month", "sorry its going to take more time"... Rince and repeat...

Cogeco seems to be moving to provide services in the US, and with Peer1, they might try to get into the European market. i'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Time will tell...
--
David Giard

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

With what I have read it would be all of cogeco's foot print but that could change you never know like the release date.

Burl

@teksavvy.com

Well I'm with Teksavvy DSL for years. Start now has cable internet in Burlington for a good price. Why does Teksavvy not have this yet in Burlington. I'm on the verge of changing.

kcorscadden

join:2007-04-04
Kingston, ON

Although I miss TSI, been with Start for a couple of months now and I am glade I switched. Getting 30/2 vs 7/512 for pretty much the same price.

If/when TSI does get something with Cogeco, I may consider coming back,.

join:2012-12-24
reply to kcorscadden

You all just need to stop asking about Cogeco. Start.ca does it better then TSI ever would also asking will not make it happen any faster.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to tristen1230

said by tristen1230:

With what I have read it would be all of cogeco's foot print but that could change you never know like the release date.

During the aggregated proceedings, Rogers (and probably Cogeco) said that their isolated service areas do not have sufficient interconnect facilities between them (if any) to support country-wide wholesale aggregation.

Ex.: Rogers' Atlantic service area operates independently from their main network in Ontario so if they had to aggregate wholesale between the two, they would have to build almost from scratch something Rogers has little to no use for themselves. I do not remember seeing the CRTC's response to that but it seems reasonable that aggregation would be limited to within areas of nearly contiguous coverage.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to 80289148

I think most of us know but want to be with Teksavvy. I personally will go with start if teksavvy does not get cable before April since I am locked in with cogeco. I am just hoping since I really want to go with teksavvy since I have had a prior good experience with them.

tristen1230

Belleville, ON
reply to kcorscadden

Well looks like you guys will be having cable in Summer. =( ;( I guess I could go with DSL for a bit...

swe3tdave

reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

During the aggregated proceedings, Rogers (and probably Cogeco) said that their isolated service areas do not have sufficient interconnect facilities between them (if any) to support country-wide wholesale aggregation.

Finally a straight answer.. So basically, there is no such thing as a single big "concatenated" Cogeco network, its all a bunch of small subsidiaries that never really got connected together, and there is a very small chance, that anyone would bother reselling in small areas like the one i live, because there would be to much cost, and not enough benefits... Thank You, now i know what to expect.
--
David Giard

said by swe3tdave:

said by InvalidError:

Finally a straight answer.. So basically, there is no such thing as a single big "concatenated" Cogeco network, its all a bunch of small subsidiaries that never really got connected together, and there is a very small chance, that anyone would bother reselling in small areas like the one i live, because there would be to much cost, and not enough benefits... Thank You, now i know what to expect.

Start.ca connected into Cogeco and now services all place cogeoco is.

swe3tdave

said by 80289148:

Start.ca connected into Cogeco and now services all place cogeoco is.

As far as i know, only in Ontario. I'm in Quebec...
--
David Giard

tristen1230

Belleville, ON
reply to kcorscadden

Would be nice to know which places.

said by tristen1230:

Would be nice to know which places.

Which places what?

tristen1230

Belleville, ON

That would be in the 'testing' I will call it zones.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to swe3tdave

Another possibly noteworthy thing to consider is that even if country-wide aggregation was available, improving service quality would eventually demand that ISPs deployed alternate PoPs to avoid stacking too many roundtrip delays.

IIRC, at some point, TSI was working on setting up a PoP in Montreal to shave ~15ms off first-hop latency for their Quebec subscribers. Likely very welcome for VoIP and online gaming on Montreal, Quebec or other north-easterny servers.

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·Bell Sympatico
·Cooptel
reply to swe3tdave

said by swe3tdave:

i live in quebec and where i am, there is just no way i can get internet with a provider other than Cogeco right now. I'm paying 67ish dollars a month plus tax(about 80$ a month total) so i can have enough bandwidth, for what i do. Mostly netflix, crackle and funimation.

if Teksavvy ever resell Cogeco, is it going to be for all Ontario and Quebec? Or just a few selected area?

at this point, i'm not expecting much, i mean we've been hearing the same thing over and over. "dont really know", "Maybe", "in a few month", "sorry its going to take more time"... Rince and repeat...

Cogeco seems to be moving to provide services in the US, and with Peer1, they might try to get into the European market. i'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. Time will tell...

58,95 pour du 14mbps + 30 de frais de depassement, ca commence a etre cher pour du illimité, malheureusement, cogeco abusent de leur monopole... Ils achetent des telecoms au État-Unis et leur prix sont plus compétitif, c'est la dernière companie que je voudrais encourager après bell, des vrais voleurs qui ne font aucune avance technologique ( je parle pour cogeco)

14mbps sur du doscis 2 , c'est une joke, robers en ontario peuvent offrir du 28-30 mbps sur le docsis 2 pour moins cher.

swe3tdave

1 edit

said by maxboha:

58,95 pour du 14mbps + 30 de frais de depassement, ca commence a etre cher pour du illimité, malheureusement, cogeco abusent de leur monopole... Ils achetent des telecoms au État-Unis et leur prix sont plus compétitif, c'est la dernière companie que je voudrais encourager après bell, des vrais voleurs qui ne font aucune avance technologique ( je parle pour cogeco)

C'est pour ça que j'ai prix l'ultimate 40, si tu dépasse pas 175 Gig, sa reviens moins cher. Sinon faut tu prenne le 20mbps, 1$ de plus, mais la l'excédent reviens à 50$ au lieu de 30.

Translated in ENGLISH:
said by maxboha:

Maxboha is using the 58,95$ 14mbps plan + with 30$ excess bandwidth a month, so he can have unlimited. Its kinda pricey... Cogeco is abusing of their monopoly. They buy telecoms in the USA where the communications price are more competitive. Its the last company he would want to use after Bell. Its frustrating to see how they steel from us(cogeco).

Personnally, i use Ultimate 40 because if i dont go beyond 175 gig, its gonna cost me less that way. i could use the 20mbps plan, but excess bandwidth go up by 20$.
--
David Giard

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON
reply to kcorscadden

Update? This is starting to become a bit of a running joke

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

Quote from Marc: "For what it's worth.. We're essentially ready to launch Cogeco. We've been beta testing some lines for a few weeks now."

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4
reply to Gruesome

Looks like TSI Marc posted update in another thread

»Re: This is gonna hurt...

Gruesome

join:2007-10-18
Milton, ON