how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico

WiDi USB Adapter

I have a Sony Bravia TV already equipped with a WiDi receiver. Does anyone know of a USB WiDi transmitter? It would be a waste to buy a full WiDi setup like the Belkin Screencast when I already have half the solution. Any info would be appreciated?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
The only device I can think of is Netgear's Push2TV HD box.

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum
Thanks for the reply, but you've misconstrued my question. Push2TV is for televisions that do not have WiDi capability and it does nothing for the transmit side. You would need a laptop with the Intel WiDi capability built in to transmit to the Push2TV unit.

HP has a 2 part solution with a USB transmitter for the laptop and an HDMI connected receiver for the TV. But since the Sony in this case has the receiver built in, that's expensive overkill.

In my case, the TV has Widi reception built in. The laptop does not. I'm looking for the laptop side of the equation, not the television side.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Ah, well the issue with WiDi is that it is designed to be integrated into a laptops chipset, similar to Intel Centrino, and is not an external solution, as far as I know.

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum
said by sk1939:

Ah, well the issue with WiDi is that it is designed to be integrated into a laptops chipset, similar to Intel Centrino, and is not an external solution, as far as I know.

Not necessarily true: »goo.gl/8eEKT
Lot's of external solutions, but all require purchase of both sides, which is what I may end up doing just to get the transmitter.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
Those are wireless HDMI solutions, which is different from WiDi, which is a patented Intel technology targeted specficially towards Ultrabooks.

»www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/···lay.html

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to sk1939
It's supported on desktop as well. Major requirement is you need to have an Ivybridge processor (pretty sure Intel just limited this on the driver level considering that WiDi was first introduced with Sandybridge). Secondary requirement maybe a Centrino based wifi adapter (not verified but I am pretty sure you are going to need this). There are currently 2 Centrino SKUs that Intel has made available for the desktop platform: Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop and Wireless-N 2200 for Desktop (they are basically the laptop SKUs strapped onto a PCI-e to mini-PCI-e adapter). The former is dual band while the latter is single band. Both support WiDi. newegg sells both of these adapters.

As it was already mentioned, wireless HDMI is not WiDi.

MIXZ1

Mexico
Thanks to sk1939 and Chrno. I have a clearer understanding of the situation, so I'll rephrase the question: I'm looking for a USB wireless HDMI transmitter for a laptop. Still haven't found it.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum
Still not what I'm looking for. Bravia's are WiFi and WiDi compliant (certain models). Why duplicate the TV side? BTW, thanks for the efforts, but I think it's time to quit. I've got a request in with Sony for support on this issue. If/when I get a response I'll post it here. Again, Thanks.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
Because WiDi only works with Intel-based laptops (and certain desktops) you aren't going to be able to USE it with anything else. There are NO WiDi transmitters in existence, and wireless HDMI WILL NOT work with WiDi, they are completely separate technologies.

MIXZ1

Mexico
Thanks. I understand.