share rss forum feed

Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

Budget Router?

Hello, I was looking at 3 different routers and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on them for a budget. I will mainly be using it for wired with maybe some wireless. Don't want to spend a lot of money on a router since AC is coming out.

1) D-Link 605l = Fast Ethernet/No Ipv6?(Some sites list it as IPV6 and some don't so confused)
2) Linksys E1200 = Fast Ethernet/ Ipv6(I tried the 2700 awhile ago but it was super hot)
3) Cisco Valet M20 = Gigabit / No Ipv6

Any other ideas? I want something with a "refreshing" look to it and not some ugly thing either as a heads up .

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

wHY not the Netgear R6300 its already AC, no need to wait.

Darknessfall

Sorry, should of explained it better. I meant to say waiting for AC to become more widespread on different price ranges.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Your going to be waiting a while.

Darknessfall

Oh yes, I know :P. What out of those three do you think are the best? Are there any other decent ones in that price range? Would gigabit or Ipv6 be more future proof?

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Any AC router should be both gigabit and IPV6 compliant.

Darknessfall

1 edit

I'm not looking at AC routers at this time though : /. It's too much to pay as I'm not really needing the wireless speeds. Mainly looking at those 3 cheaper routers.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

The 3 you mention are crap. A less expensive and good wireless router is the Asus RT-N65 or if you can get it the netgear WNDR3700 v1

Darknessfall

Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

2 edits

I want something that is less than $60 or less.

Was also looking at:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33704150
but it's bigger brother has bad reviews
and also was looking at:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33127358
but yet again bad reviews.

Dual band/wireless range won't really matter as it'll be turned off most of the time except for the rare occasions.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

less than 60

Darknessfall

Know any non refurb products that are in that price range? Kind of paranoid about refurbs : /. Are they decent?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

I do not know.... If the seller is reputable they should be ok ... Penny wise pound etc etcetc

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to Darknessfall

Try this one. It should meet your requirements.
»www.amazon.com/RT-N12-Wireless-N···s+rt-n12

Darknessfall

I actually saw that one when I first began looking. Would that last me at least 2 years?

-While Amazon has good reviews, Newegg shows bad reviews for that product.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

It should last quite a while. The AP's I use in my house are many years old (WAP55AG), and fully functional. I have one of the RT-N12/B units that I bought for my brother. I have not hooked it up yet, so I can't say how well it works.

I read the reviews, but am careful about letting them sway my decision. I usually look at all the low reviews, and then see if I can determine a pattern of problems, or if it is just a problem with the user. I would buy from Amazon. It is much easier to return, and they usually cover shipping for defective items.

Darknessfall

Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

Thanks, if I don't get that and decide to get a model closer to $60 I'll get the TP-Link TL-WDR3600($63) just because it has a lot of features for a lower price otherwise I wouldn't get it lol. I heard the RT-N10 also was good but like you said something the reviews aren't always that good. Depends on the person on what type of review they give it.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall

The three routers that you are considering are poor. I get being frugal, and frankly, any router that you buy today will no longer be the latest and greatest in 2 years. You will never "future-proof", consumer electronics move along at a pace too fast for that anyway.

However, if you really plan on this lasting say 2 years or so, spend another $30 - $40 and get a decent router...in 2 years time the price differential...about $1.50 a month, is certainly insignificant, but the frustration factor of limping along with a sub-par modem for 2 years is not insignificant.
--
Deeds, not words

Darknessfall

Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

What about

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33704144 ?

It doesn't currently have IPV6 but I contacted TP-Link and they said an IPV6 firmware update is coming soon.

I am planning on getting a Motorola SB141 with it. I want to try to stuff a Comcast gateway rental fee over 2 years for both a modem/router. Plus, it has a 2 year warranty.

unixwolf

join:2007-05-04
Flower Mound, TX
reply to Darknessfall

How about microtik?

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall

Because IPv6 addresses are 128 bits long compared to IPv4 addresses, which are 32-bits long, IPv6 packet processing requires more resources. Therefore, a small performance degradation is observed.

The message above is standard on any commercial grade small router/firewall. So presume worst on a consumer grade box.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:13
reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

Sorry, should of explained it better. I meant to say waiting for AC to become more widespread on different price ranges.

If N is anything to go by, that's going to be on the order of YEARS before the final draft of AC is out, so whatever fits
your pricerange and visual aesthetics should suffice. As others have said, gigabit at this point should be a
MUST HAVE; IPv6 is a NICE TO HAVE; everything else is basically a nonissue, given your original Specs / wishlist.

My 0000001bits

Regards

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to Darknessfall

»www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNR3500L-···title_ce

I have one and am quite happy.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007