spc
Search similar:

uniqs

septcasey
join:2006-09-07
United State

septcasey

[hard drive] Does removing hard drive remove all data from lapto

Hi everyone. I have a laptop from about 4 years ago that I am looking to sell and I need to know how to make sure no data I had on it is still on it. The computer doesn't power on anymore even with a new battery. It'll come on for 2 seconds then go off and repeat so I am selling it for parts and want to make sure none of my data is on it because I can't power it on. I removed the hard drive. Is that enough?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Re: [hard drive] Does removing hard drive remove all data from l

Yes, removing the hard drive will guarantee all of your personal data is gone.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
yes, the Hard Drive is the only device in the laptop outside of a CD being stuck in the drive that will hold data once power is cut off to the RAM.

Interesting note, if the Laptop uses a SATA drive, I might be very possible to hook it to a normal PC and and do a wipe with something like DBAN allowing you to sell it with the drive.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Doesn't even have to be SATA if you use something like this:
»www.geeks.com/details.as ··· tId=2020

You can also use the free version of KillDisk for windows to write 0s across the entire drive, which will ensure nothing can be recovered.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

heh wow that could be an incredibly handy thing for a computer person to have in their repair toolkit. if they come across a computer that cannot boot. just use that thing to a functional computer and save what data can be saved.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

That is exactly what I used to use them for. For desktops, you don't even have to pull the drive out. They are great, as long as you don't mind the slow speed of USB 2.0. Still waiting on a USB 3 version.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

heh wow that could be an incredibly handy thing for a computer person to have in their repair toolkit.

It is.

I have one that is sata only and one that has IDE on one side & Sata on the other. The really handy thing is that the newer versions of Ghost recognize the devices - it has made cloning laptop drives a breeze compared to in the past when there was no desktop system nearby.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

The work with Acronis True Image as well.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf to septcasey

Premium Member

to septcasey
Where is septcasey?

dbarber
join:2000-07-25
West Chester, PA

dbarber to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

heh wow that could be an incredibly handy thing for a computer person to have in their repair toolkit.

I bought one three or four years ago for ~ $25. It was a bargain even then. It has allowed me to access drives I wouldn't have been able to access otherwise. It works great with HDClone »www.miray.de/products/sa ··· one.html , which I use.
leegmoser
join:2012-10-03

leegmoser to septcasey

to septcasey
If you are removing your hard disk make sure there is no information in you hard disk. Once you removed your hard no one can restored your information as well. All the information will be deleted.

Gavin5
join:2012-10-03
canada

Gavin5

Yep, you are absolutely right. If we remove the hard disk then we can become sure that there is no any info in laptop.