Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777

Re: [TWC] Roadrunner Buffalo NY - Very high packet loss bad ping

said by rizzo777:

i was connected to lancaster but im supposed to go to amherst... or vice versa... explains my 50ms on the first hop..

No... that doesn't really explain it.

It might give you a different channel lineup on cable TV, but it doesn't explain the latency problems.

[edit] It could be one side is more bandwidth congested than the other, but that's still a problem they'd have to fix for that side, you'd just be avoiding it.
rizzo777
join:2012-09-17
Lancaster, NY

rizzo777

Well, i dont understand then, they know i dont have cable TV, not sure.... guess i will find out..
rizzo777

rizzo777

anyone ever hear of this? hobgoblin?
rizzo777

rizzo777 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
Can the techs tell if one side is more congested than the other?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
said by rizzo777:

anyone ever hear of this? hobgoblin?

I've heard of 2 cable distribution systems being run on the same pole. It's relatively common in areas with more than one provider (or where 1 provider bought out another) or in the border areas between 2 providers or a provider running an old A/B style cable system. I've worked in them before.

I've heard of customers being connected to the wrong one. It happens a lot with rookie installers, who've never really seen it. I did it the first time I ran into it, not realizing there where 2 systems available (1 in back on poles, 1 in front underground).

It doesn't explain the latency spikes, unless there is a problem with one of the networks other than just being the wrong one to connect to.
DocDrew

1 edit

DocDrew to rizzo777

Premium Member

to rizzo777
said by rizzo777:

Can the techs tell if one side is more congested than the other?

They need access to the monitoring system and experience with what to look for. It's not something the techs sent to your home normally have access to, in my experience.

They can call a higher level tech who might have access. System Maintenance Techs, Hub/Headend Techs, and Engineers usually have access. Not sure who would on the Phone Support tree, maybe Tier 3.

Most of the monitoring systems used by cable providers use something like RRD Tool showing interface and other stats pulled through SNMP and other methods. It takes some training or experience to recognize the pattern of congestion. Reports are often generated using the same data and sent to Engineering departments on a regular basis. I've never seen a CSR screen show an indicator for interface congestion when looking up a customers' account and I've never seen a Tech work order with such an indicator either. Those guys have to go looking for the info, if they even have access. Then they have to generate another ticket or work order to get it looked at and fixed which can take days, weeks, or months depending on what needs to be reconfigured to relieve the congestion.