spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Prow
join:2004-01-05
Toronto, ON

Prow

[Internet] did I lose fastpath?

I recently upgraded to 25/10 and for a couple days after the install speed tests would report a 5ms ping.
There was no sign of any problems, but then I happened to notice my ping went up to 15ms. Sure it's minor, but why would my profile change when it was perfect?

Here are my Sagemcom stats:
# sysutil xdslmon

Line Status      : Port is in Showtime
 Mode             : 0x1000000   (VDSL2 Profile 12A )
 Upstream Payload Rate  : 11312 kbps
 Downstream             : 26928 kbps
=================================================
 DIAG Info:
=================================================
 Attenuation ( dB )     :  5.7         0.00 (FE LATNpb-0)
                                       4.20 (FE LATNpb-1)
                                       12.20 (FE LATNpb-2)
                                       0.00 (FE LATNpb-3)
                                       0.00 (FE LATNpb-4)
 SNR margin  ( dB )     : 25.7         0.00 (FE SNRMpb-0)
                                       10.90 (FE SNRMpb-1)
                                       11.60 (FE SNRMpb-2)
                                       0.00 (FE SNRMpb-3)
                                       0.00 (FE SNRMpb-4)
 US Aggregate Power     : -20.7 dbm
 DS Attainable Data Rate: 64964 kbps
 US Attainable Data Rate: 17248 kbps
 HEC counter            : HEC_F:0
                          HEC_S:0
 CRC counter            : CRC_F:0
                          CRC_S: 0

cpe>11

cpe>
Extended Port Status
=================
Bme: 1 Port: 1
Downstream line rate: 32112 kbps
Upstream line rate: 13452 kbps
Bearer0 Downstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Downstream payload rate: 26928 kbps
Bearer0 Upstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Upstream payload rate: 11312 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate: 64964 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate: 78952 kbps
Downstream Training Margin: 26.8 dB
Downstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530200
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb500494b4e530100
Downstream delay: 5.4 ms
Upstream delay: 5.5 ms
Tx total power -20.7 dbm
FE Tx total power 14.2 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 589 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 131 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length :492 ft
Current framing mode: 0x10 EFM
Bandplan Type...........: 2
No. of Upstream Bands...: 2
No. of Downstream Bands.: 2
Line Type: 0x01000000 VDSL2 Profile 12A
Downstream FFT Protection (Bearer1 Path): 1.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream FFT Protection (Bearer1 Path): 1.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Attenuation: NA (Only for ADSL1 & T1.413)
Upstream SNR Margin: NA (Only for ADSL1 & T1413)
Upstream Retransmission status: Disabled
Downstream Retransmission status: Disabled

The only difference I can recall is that the Downstream and Upstream FFT protection was 0.0 but is now 1.0 symbols.

I do have to admit it would be nice to have the 5ms ping back so is there any reason my settings changed?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

There is no fastpath or interleaved profile on the ADSL2+ or VDSL2 services. They are all configured with a slight amount of interleaving; less than interleaved ADSL1 was, but still some.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

said by Guspaz:

There is no fastpath or interleaved profile on the ADSL2+ or VDSL2 services. They are all configured with a slight amount of interleaving; less than interleaved ADSL1 was, but still some.

Well, I dont know how deep your digging into the technicalities of the technology to make that statement. Going by what Webcare and Lantern is telling me, I still have options AL1 and Al2 for adsl2+, and for straight VDSL2 customers there are also FAST profiles.

If your on FibeTV there is no option except for an interleaved profile.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 edit

HiVolt

Premium Member

There is Interleave...

Downstream delay: 5.4 ms
Upstream delay: 5.5 ms

this is what's adding the 10ms extra to his latency.

I have 25/10 profile that has 0 downstream and upstream delay.

I believe this is the profile for 25/10 with fastpath, ie 0 delay.

V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to urbang33k

to urbang33k
said by urbang33k:

said by Guspaz:

Well, I dont know how deep your digging into the technicalities of the technology to make that statement. Going by what Webcare and Lantern is telling me, I still have options AL1 and Al2 for adsl2+, and for straight VDSL2 customers there are also FAST profiles.

If your on FibeTV there is no option except for an interleaved profile.

VDSL2 has a different way of correction, with different setting on noise impulse.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic

said by kovy7:

VDSL2 has a different way of correction, with different setting on noise impulse.

Is that something that the OP can call in and have changed, or is it automatically negotiated by the modem and the DSLAM?
kovy7

kovy7

said by Oinktastic:

said by kovy7:

Is that something that the OP can call in and have changed, or is it automatically negotiated by the modem and the DSLAM?

He could ask, but I know there's a robot check for best profiles script... so it could also because of that. Either way, if it bothers the OP so much he can ask to change.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy

Anon

The upstream and downstream impulse noise protection is showing as 1dmt symbol, this implies interleaving. If Bell used retransmission (like TELUS), you'd see around 10x this number with an identical amount of latency.
AnonDSLGuy

AnonDSLGuy to kovy7

Anon

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

No, its pretty much identical to ADSL2+, the big difference with VDSL2 is the upstream framing structure is much better thought out, so VDSL2 can support phy layer retransmission in the upstream and downstream (ADSL2+ can only do downstream retransmission).

The reasons why you're seeing big differences with the ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL2 profiles, is because Bell doesn't really understand DSL. Out west port profiles with varying levels of impulse noise protection and use of physical layer retransmission have been used with ADSL2+ and VDSL2 for years.

gpon
@rogers.com

gpon to Oinktastic

Anon

to Oinktastic
I believe that the Sagecom and the port talk to each other and can override a fastpath download profile and set it to interleaved instead. It is probably taking line conditions into consideration. For those that aren't aware, the upload can be on fast path while the download is on interleaved. Some subs are on interleaved down and fast up while some are on fast down and up.
kovy7

kovy7 to AnonDSLGuy

to AnonDSLGuy
said by AnonDSLGuy :

said by kovy7:

No, its pretty much identical to ADSL2+, the big difference with VDSL2 is the upstream framing structure is much better thought out, so VDSL2 can support phy layer retransmission in the upstream and downstream (ADSL2+ can only do downstream retransmission).

The reasons why you're seeing big differences with the ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL2 profiles, is because Bell doesn't really understand DSL. Out west port profiles with varying levels of impulse noise protection and use of physical layer retransmission have been used with ADSL2+ and VDSL2 for years.

Well with VDSL, their is different profiles of impulse noise, with ADSL2+ it's ether fastpath or interleaved... for Bell... which we're in the forum.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy

Anon

said by kovy7:

Well with VDSL, their is different profiles of impulse noise, with ADSL2+ it's ether fastpath or interleaved... for Bell... which we're in the forum.

Exactly, but that is only because Bell doesn't really understand DSL, or they'd have profiles with varying levels of impulse noise protection for ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL2. I'm saying this in the hope someone from Bell reads this and catches on .
kovy7

kovy7

said by AnonDSLGuy :

said by kovy7:

Exactly, but that is only because Bell doesn't really understand DSL, or they'd have profiles with varying levels of impulse noise protection for ADSL, ADSL2+ and VDSL2. I'm saying this in the hope someone from Bell reads this and catches on .

Well it's already done with VDSL2... no reason to go back with ADSL2+ lol.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
ADSL2+ has both the fastpath and interleave profile all over the world not just in Canada.
Prow
join:2004-01-05
Toronto, ON

Prow to AnonDSLGuy

to AnonDSLGuy
said by AnonDSLGuy :

The upstream and downstream impulse noise protection is showing as 1dmt symbol, this implies interleaving. If Bell used retransmission (like TELUS), you'd see around 10x this number with an identical amount of latency.

I'm assuming this is the FFT Protection numbers? As I said in in my first post, I do recall those values were both 0.0 originally.

The only other thing I noticed is that with the 5ms ping I had an IP of 76.64.x.x and I now get 70.53.x.x.

Also just for the record, I only have dry loop Internet (no other service).

Anyway, this was a bit more of a curiosity than anything though the extra 10ms would be nice to have for gaming... so yeah, for me it's not all about speed (and precious monthly gigabytes) for downloading Linux ISOs.