spc
Search similar:

uniqs

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

2 multi room DVRs in 1 house?

I was under the impression that it was possible to have 2 multi room DVRs on one account in one home

For reasons I wont get into, we decided we needed another DVR in my home (for my basement for a relative) She likes to be able to pause and rewind TV as well as being able to record the entire series of a show

(We found out from any of the regular STBs you cannot "record the entire series", you have to physically do it from the multi room DVR itself)

Anyway, I was hoping to add a second multi DVR in the basement thereby having 2 of these on my account so my 2 kids each have a multi DVR they record too (kid #1 to multi dvr #1 and kid #2 to multi DVR #2) that way we wont overload and run out of "space" on the main multi DVR

However I was told that you cannot have a second multi DVR, that I could only have a stand alone HD dvr.

Is that correct?

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by datguy11 :

(We found out from any of the regular STBs you cannot "record the entire series", you have to physically do it from the multi room DVR itself)

The funny thing is that if my wife told me she wanted another MDVR so she does not have to get up and walk to the den to record a series I would look at her and laugh...

BTW I recommend just throwing a 2TB drive into your MDVR as it will give you 300+ hours of HD recordings.

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

Its more of we had satellite service and paid a flat $10 a month for dvr service.. And each box was a dvr rented at the standard $6 a month (the $10 included ALL the boxes)

Now that we have fios, relative cant pause or rewind, little things like that. Everytime she wants to record a series, i have to remember to do it.

its more convienence than recording space, better off my relative has her own dvr anyway rather then share it with 4 other people
Myron4
join:2008-03-08
Dallas, TX

Myron4

unfortunately MRDVR doesn't allow you to schedule recordings/series on other DVRs in the home unless there's a scheduling conflict on the DVR you're sitting at

anon1934df3
@verizon.net

anon1934df3

Anon

As long as you have one multriroom dvr, you can record shows and watch shows on any dvr in the house. So all you need is another dvr and any dvr will act as a multiroom dvr.

Coachdny
@verizon.net

Coachdny to datguy11

Anon

to datguy11
I have 2 multi room dvrs in my house thus am able to record 4 programs simultaneously. Since both units see each other you can watch the programs you recorded on any DVr or non DVr in the house.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to datguy11

to datguy11
Its only since the beginning of the year that they finished migrating 1.9 to all machines. Before then you couldn't schedule anything on a DVR without being at the DVR. And additional DVR where not supported as Multiroom. So we are making progress.

Hopefully they are aware of the restrictions and planning to change them. I suggest you make these as "share your Ideas" on Verizon's own boards.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to Coachdny

to Coachdny
said by Coachdny :

I have 2 multi room dvrs in my house thus am able to record 4 programs simultaneously. Since both units see each other you can watch the programs you recorded on any DVr or non DVr in the house.

I have all of the above functionality but only one of my two DVR's is classified as Multiroom. I'm still paying the old, grandfathered $12.99 rate for the other one.
tnsprin
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

said by blue_trooper:

said by Coachdny :

I have all of the above functionality but only one of my two DVR's is classified as Multiroom. I'm still paying the old, grandfathered $12.99 rate for the other one.

Although sometimes listed differently, there is really only a $4 a household fee for multiroom support. I've had it listed seperately on some bills, as a multiroom DVR on older bills, and just listed as part of a 3 room bundle (DVR and two HD STB) on more recent bils.

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11 to blue_trooper

Anon

to blue_trooper
Well I set up the stand alone DVR and lo and behold it functions like the multi room DVR!

So now every STB can access my MRDVR or my regular DVR!!

ericner
@verizon.net

ericner

Anon

I'll soon be a MRDVR customer (currently with DirecTV). My biggest need is to have 4 tuners (two kids away at college that Slingbox in, with many many shows recording simultaneously). So I was going to get this equipment for a total of 5 rooms; please let me know if I'm incorrect... 2 DVRs (both functioning as MRDVR) and 3 STB. Do I need to order the DVRs as MRDVRs when ordering the equipment?

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11

Anon

I have one MRDVR and added a second stand alone DVR.. and I was able to see them both on my DVR list.. And i can access either one from any STB in my house

ericner
@verizon.net

ericner

Anon

So you have a total of 4 tuners in your house with those 2 DVRs?

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ

Niarlan to datguy11

Premium Member

to datguy11
I have 2 in my house just for that reason....kids kept recording 2 shows at once on the main DVR so I needed another for my shows. So 2 DVR's giving me 4 tuners both available as MRDVR's and each has external storage. Makes it much easier to record things when you have kids in the house...not to mention the wife

Nia
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to ericner

to ericner
said by ericner :

So I was going to get this equipment for a total of 5 rooms; please let me know if I'm incorrect... 2 DVRs (both functioning as MRDVR) and 3 STB. Do I need to order the DVRs as MRDVRs when ordering the equipment?

My experience, and that of others on this thread, indicates that only one of the DVR's needs to be setup as multiroom.

datguy11
@verizon.net

datguy11 to ericner

Anon

to ericner
Yes 4 tuners btwn the 2 boxes
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to anon1934df3

to anon1934df3
said by anon1934df3 :

As long as you have one multriroom dvr, you can record shows and watch shows on any dvr in the house. So all you need is another dvr and any dvr will act as a multiroom dvr.

Is this true? I know you'd be able to watch things recorded on the MRDVR on any box in the house (DVR or not) but will a stand alone DVR recording be viewable on another box in the house too?

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

I have 1 HD STB and 2 DVR's with multi room on my account. I can watch any recorded program on any box.
PaulyIzGod
join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL

PaulyIzGod to datguy11

to datguy11
You have 1 mrdvr. Then you add another dvr. You can schedule recordings, and watch shows from a non dvr on either dvr. When you hit the record button it will ask you do you want to record on living room dvr, or bedroom dvr, what ever you name the boxes. I have 2 dvr's in my house, and can record from any box, unless there is already something recording on both boxes it will only let you set a reminder.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to datguy11

to datguy11
1.9.1 introduced new Parental controls that allow or disallow VOD and DVR content between boxes.
nascar

nascar to PaulyIzGod

to PaulyIzGod
Just to clarify...

Non DVR - Record: it will ask which DVR if they both have tuners available or just record on the DVR with the available tuner. no tuners available, you get a reminder prompt.

DVR - Record: it will record on that DVR unless both tuners are used then will check your other DVR('s) for a free tuner. no tuners available, you get a reminder prompt.
said by PaulyIzGod:

You have 1 mrdvr. Then you add another dvr. You can schedule recordings, and watch shows from a non dvr on either dvr. When you hit the record button it will ask you do you want to record on living room dvr, or bedroom dvr, what ever you name the boxes. I have 2 dvr's in my house, and can record from any box, unless there is already something recording on both boxes it will only let you set a reminder.

fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to PaulyIzGod

to PaulyIzGod
But can you WATCH content from the dvr (not the MRDVR) on any box also?

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

omfg sorry but that came to mind.

there is no multi room DVR. it is an account tic and more $. once you have multi room on your account, then yes, you can watch any DVR's content on any HD box.

I'm learning Mandarin if that will help.
said by fishacura:

tnsprin
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin

Once you pay the multi-room DVR fee all DVR's in the house are enabled for Multi-room. Its a $4 fee and sometimes listed on your bill seperately and sometimes listed as one DVR being multi-room. A seperate but free feature which is called multi-hub need to be enabled for DVR's to work with each other.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

IMG 1.9 introduced Multi-Hub, which allows all DVR's to see each DVR's recorded content/schedules. You still need MRDVR on 1 of the DVR's in order to 'see' the other DVR's in your network.
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

there is no multi room DVR. it is an account tic and more $.

said by fishacura:

Really.....hmm I did not know that. I could have sworn that's when I got the black box (QIP 7232-2). Guess that was just a coincidence. Sorry to drive you nuts
nikkoxyz5
join:2012-01-11
Hartsdale, NY

nikkoxyz5 to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

IMG 1.9 introduced Multi-Hub, which allows all DVR's to see each DVR's recorded content/schedules. You still need MRDVR on 1 of the DVR's in order to 'see' the other DVR's in your network.

I have two 6416 DVR's. As you said, the day 1.9 became active, both DVR's could see and access each others contents and schedules. I was not expecting that and have really made use of this feature.
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

said by nikkoxyz5:

I have two 6416 DVR's. As you said, the day 1.9 became active, both DVR's could see and access each others contents and schedules. I was not expecting that and have really made use of this feature.

This is what confuses me. This speaks to a change post 1.9....but was there MRDVR functionality prior? According to nascar, you would still have needed to be signed up for MRDVR to get this. Can you confirm you are?

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

He had to have MRDVR in order to stream recorded content to non-DVR boxes. Multi-Hub added the ability to stream recorded content to other DVR's.....
fishacura
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to datguy11

to datguy11
Multi room....multu hub....I'm just being thick.....Sorry. Guess I'm not familiar with all the nuts and bolts of the technology...all I know is it works for me