Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bon Scott

join:2009-09-12
kudos:1

2 edits

How can I add two new HD's to my PC?

I have a Windows 7 Pro PC. It was custom made in 2009 by AVA direct. It has an ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 Rev 1 motherboard in it.

It currently has two SATA HD's in it. I want to add two more SATA HD's. 3 terebyes each if possible. My question is as follows:

How can I add those two SATA drives when all six of the places where I would connect the SATA drives to the motherboard are currently being used?

Thank you.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

If there is no space, you can't do it, but that is common sense.

However, if you have some 5.25" bays free, you can use 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapters and house more drives. Also, you can use external drives for USB, eSATA, or what have you.

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to Bon Scott

Whats using the other 4 SATA ports? 4 Optical drives?

If all the ports on the mobo are in use, the only other option would be to get a PCI/PCIe SATA card like this: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···16115072

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

I am using that exact card in an intel motherboard, works fine.
There are also port multiplier cards that work with some, but not all sata ports.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

Bon Scott

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

If there is no space, you can't do it, but that is common sense.

However, if you have some 5.25" bays free, you can use 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapters and house more drives. Also, you can use external drives for USB, eSATA, or what have you.

There are empty bays for the hard drives. Just no place to plug them in.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

That is not how your wording made it sound. If you have no controller connections you will need an add on SATA controller that won't conflict with existing mainboard controllers. Once again, common sense, look on newegg or wherever you like for SATA controller cards.

Honestly, it would be simpler to set up a network storage device and/or use external drives.

Remember that the more drives you install, the higher the heat in the box there will be.

Check this stuff out, it might be a better choice if you have that massive an amount of data to store:

»www.newegg.com/Store/Category.as···rage-NAS

Obviously you will need to have a router or switch, but honestly, for so many TB of data, these days it is a better choice.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Bon Scott

Thank you. I already have external hard drives for storage. I want to add internal drives because they ate faster and I need them for the work I do in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Bon Scott

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard but its a v1 model. If I recall correctly the v1 version had additional SAS ports but e V2 omitted them.

If it must be internal and you have no free SATA ports then you'll need the controller card that has already been suggest by these good people.

Your motherboard has eternal FireWire and eSATA. I don't know if the eSATA has port multiplier support but that info would be in the manual. If it does then you would have support for multiple HDDs on that single port and it should be reasonably fast. You would just need a supported external eSATA enclosure.

Alternatively you could buy a USB 3.0 controller card along with an external USB 3.0 enclosure which should also be reasonably fast enough for your needs.

Bon Scott

said by Octavean:

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard but its a v1 model. If I recall correctly the v1 version had additional SAS ports but e V2 omitted them.

If it must be internal and you have no free SATA ports then you'll need the controller card that has already been suggest by these good people.

Your motherboard has eternal FireWire and eSATA. I don't know if the eSATA has port multiplier support but that info would be in the manual. If it does then you would have support for multiple HDDs on that single port and it should be reasonably fast. You would just need a supported external eSATA enclosure.

Alternatively you could buy a USB 3.0 controller card along with an external USB 3.0 enclosure which should also be reasonably fast enough for your needs.

That is excellent information. Thank you.

Crash Gordon
Drive It Like You Stole It

join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA
reply to Bon Scott

I'm still curious as to whats using the other 4 onboard Sata ports.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ

said by Crash Gordon:

I concur with this. If the OP already has two hard drives, that leaves 4 ports, and odds are he has an optical drive, so that leaves 3.
--
What smells like blue?

Bon Scott

reply to Crash Gordon

said by Crash Gordon:

Two optical drives. A multi-function drive for camera compact flash drives. The two hard drives. That's five devices. The last one I will have to trace the wire to see what it is hooked up to.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ

said by Bon Scott:

said by Crash Gordon:

Two optical drives. A multi-function drive for camera compact flash drives. The two hard drives. That's five devices. The last one I will have to trace the wire to see what it is hooked up to.

Why do you need two optical drives? I burned CD/DVD media all the time, 1 is enough. No longer do you need 1 drive for ROM and 1 drive for burning activities, two optical drives is a thing of the past.

I've never heard of a multi-function card reader that uses a SATA port. It's always been USB, even the internal drives. Are you sure you are using a SATA port for this? The most expensive AND the cheapest card readers on Newegg and both connected via USB (3.0 or 2.0).

If you do indeed have a SATA CF multipurpose drive I would love to see the model. If you do have one, time to get a new model with USB 3.0.

I just saved you two ports in this post alone.
--
What smells like blue?

Bon Scott

said by Omega:

said by Bon Scott:

said by Crash Gordon:

Why do you need two optical drives?

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Also...you could be right about the card reader. I do know however that the 6 SATA slots on the Mobo are occupied.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ

Well open up your case and take a look!
--
What smells like blue?

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to Bon Scott

Any chance those other two ports are going to PCI brackets to turn them into eSATA ports? Either that or maybe they route to the HDD bay and are simply dangling somewhere waiting to be used? Normally you would just leave the ports/cables out of the picture but it's possible. If it's not either of those two I would love to know what is connected to the other ports too (as I'm sure you do too).

Bon Scott

said by JoelC707:

Any chance those other two ports are going to PCI brackets to turn them into eSATA ports? Either that or maybe they route to the HDD bay and are simply dangling somewhere waiting to be used? Normally you would just leave the ports/cables out of the picture but it's possible. If it's not either of those two I would love to know what is connected to the other ports too (as I'm sure you do too).

I am going downstairs now to open it up and take a look. I will let you know what I find.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Bon Scott

Here is another thought.

I have an LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner (reads the defunct HDDVD too). I don’t use Blu-Ray much so I put it in an external 5.25” USB enclosure. This freed up a SATA port and allowed me to use the Blu-Ray burner on any number of systems just by plugging in a USB cable. It functions just as well as if it were connected via SATA.

So you can conceivably reduce your optical drives to one and install it in an external enclosure which would free up two SATA ports but still retain optical disc functionality. Or if you like you could go with two external optical drives via USB but as Omega already stated two isn’t necessary.

This is the enclosure I have for my LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner:

Vantec NexStar DX 5.25" SATA to USB 2.0 External Optical Drive Enclosure - Model NST-530S2

Bon Scott

reply to JoelC707

said by JoelC707:

Any chance those other two ports are going to PCI brackets to turn them into eSATA ports?

Boom! You got it JoelC707. Their are 2 SATA cables going to two separate e-SATA ports that can be accessed from the front of the computer. One is part of the card reader. The other is just available as a port on the front case of the computer.

What do you suggest I do now?

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

Ahhh your card reader has an eSATA port. I vaugely recall seeing some like that. As for what to do now, have you ever used those ports before? If not, disconnect them and poof, two free ports

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

I have an LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner (reads the defunct HDDVD too).

Love that drive, I have two of them.

Bon Scott

reply to JoelC707

said by JoelC707:

Ahhh your card reader has an eSATA port. I vaugely recall seeing some like that. As for what to do now, have you ever used those ports before? If not, disconnect them and poof, two free ports

I use the card reader for loading my photo RAW files onto my PC. The other one I never use.

I will unhook that one. Thank you very, very much for solving this for me. Now I just have to buy a hard drive. I wanted a 3 terabyte drive but my MOBO may not support it without me updating the bios........which I have never done and which I have read is risky. See here for reference: »ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 Rev 1 question..

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

Do you have any other cables from the card reader? Maybe something that goes to a USB header? If you're not sure you could always disconnect the SATA cable and see if the card reader functions still work. I doubt the card reader actually functions over SATA, and that cable is likely just feeding an eSATA port only.

But indeed this may be all moot if you need to update the BIOS and are unsure about doing that. That's a nice looking board, high end ones such as that (and even midrange too) often have a built in method of updating the BIOS. Usually there's a button you press during POST to activate the update function and you just provide the flash file on a USB stick or something.

It's easy, and even easier with those kind of updaters but bad things can still happen. A freak power outage at just the wrong time is likely worst case scenario (got a battery backup?). Another option is an add-in SATA card. Your BIOS limitations (assuming it isn't at the 1003 or newer BIOS like mentioned in the other thread) shouldn't come into play there.

Bon Scott

ASUS has a utility called EZ Flash 2. This person shows how it's done:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkUb7qglfIY

It looks easy.

Bon Scott

reply to JoelC707

I just updated the bios using EZ Flash 2. I was simple. Now I guess I can buy a 3 terabyte Hard drive. Time to look for the best deal.

Thanks for everything.

Bon Scott

reply to Bon Scott

Man....since I updated the bios this computer is much faster. Much snappier. I love it.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to Bon Scott

That bay device, the card reader, it must be connected to on board USB too. Probably the SATA connection is for an eSATA port on the device, letting you hook an external drive up and run at internal drive transfer speeds.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but that is why this forum is so great, somebody smart is always here (ok, I'm NOT smart, but I try).

Check to see if your bay device has an eSATA connector on it.

I still think your drive strategy is impractical, naturally you should do what works for you, but if you've got 4 hard drives internal and they are full to the gills, honestly how often do you access all that data on all those drives? If you were using 2 optical drives I suspect you might be ripe for suggestions on better device strategy.

As was mentioned, you could take the secondary optical device and install an external drive adapter in that bay, and hot swap drives as you fill them Keep in mind that all those drives are using electricity and putting load on your power supply, making a great deal of heat which is bad for your chips, and making lots of noise.

Drive strategies have changed over the last several months for many people. NAS systems and external hot pluggable drives are in vogue now (though I have neither myself).
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Bon Scott

Is this hard drive compatible with my Mobo? If so I am ordering tonight.
»www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control···=details

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Other than interface type (IDE, SATA) and capacity, I can't think of anything that affects "compatibility" with a mainboard. If your board will support 3 TB, I don't see why not.

Bon Scott

Thank you............