uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Octavean

Re: How can I add two new HD's to my PC?

said by Octavean:

I have an LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner (reads the defunct HDDVD too).

Love that drive, I have two of them.

Bon Scott

join:2009-09-12
kudos:1
reply to JoelC707

said by JoelC707:

Ahhh your card reader has an eSATA port. I vaugely recall seeing some like that. As for what to do now, have you ever used those ports before? If not, disconnect them and poof, two free ports

I use the card reader for loading my photo RAW files onto my PC. The other one I never use.

I will unhook that one. Thank you very, very much for solving this for me. Now I just have to buy a hard drive. I wanted a 3 terabyte drive but my MOBO may not support it without me updating the bios........which I have never done and which I have read is risky. See here for reference: »ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 Rev 1 question..

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Do you have any other cables from the card reader? Maybe something that goes to a USB header? If you're not sure you could always disconnect the SATA cable and see if the card reader functions still work. I doubt the card reader actually functions over SATA, and that cable is likely just feeding an eSATA port only.

But indeed this may be all moot if you need to update the BIOS and are unsure about doing that. That's a nice looking board, high end ones such as that (and even midrange too) often have a built in method of updating the BIOS. Usually there's a button you press during POST to activate the update function and you just provide the flash file on a USB stick or something.

It's easy, and even easier with those kind of updaters but bad things can still happen. A freak power outage at just the wrong time is likely worst case scenario (got a battery backup?). Another option is an add-in SATA card. Your BIOS limitations (assuming it isn't at the 1003 or newer BIOS like mentioned in the other thread) shouldn't come into play there.

Bon Scott

ASUS has a utility called EZ Flash 2. This person shows how it's done:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkUb7qglfIY

It looks easy.

Bon Scott

reply to JoelC707

I just updated the bios using EZ Flash 2. I was simple. Now I guess I can buy a 3 terabyte Hard drive. Time to look for the best deal.

Thanks for everything.

Bon Scott

reply to Bon Scott

Man....since I updated the bios this computer is much faster. Much snappier. I love it.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to Bon Scott

That bay device, the card reader, it must be connected to on board USB too. Probably the SATA connection is for an eSATA port on the device, letting you hook an external drive up and run at internal drive transfer speeds.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but that is why this forum is so great, somebody smart is always here (ok, I'm NOT smart, but I try).

Check to see if your bay device has an eSATA connector on it.

I still think your drive strategy is impractical, naturally you should do what works for you, but if you've got 4 hard drives internal and they are full to the gills, honestly how often do you access all that data on all those drives? If you were using 2 optical drives I suspect you might be ripe for suggestions on better device strategy.

As was mentioned, you could take the secondary optical device and install an external drive adapter in that bay, and hot swap drives as you fill them Keep in mind that all those drives are using electricity and putting load on your power supply, making a great deal of heat which is bad for your chips, and making lots of noise.

Drive strategies have changed over the last several months for many people. NAS systems and external hot pluggable drives are in vogue now (though I have neither myself).
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Bon Scott

Is this hard drive compatible with my Mobo? If so I am ordering tonight.
»www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control···=details

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

Other than interface type (IDE, SATA) and capacity, I can't think of anything that affects "compatibility" with a mainboard. If your board will support 3 TB, I don't see why not.

Bon Scott

Thank you............