spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fed_up

@comcast.net

[Rant] Mid-South Area- The Rate Hike Express Has Arrived.

Click for full size
Front of Notice
Click for full size
Inside of Notice
Well, for those living in and around Memphis, tis the season for a rate hike. Comcast just couldn't wait till the first of the year to raise rates, so there will probably be another rate hike at a later time. I know, it's just a few dollars more, and to be honest, I expect tv prices to go up. But this is the third time in a row that HSI prices have increased, and that is starting to piss me off. In fact, I knew that when the first HSI price increase happened, regular HSI price increases would become the norm.

But it is what it is, and Comcast is honestly just "competing" with U-Verse. Yup, when one provider raises rates, the other follows the leader, and vice-versa. Boy do duopolies suck. I miss REAL competition. I even sometimes miss Time Warner...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Don't entirely blame Comcast. The media companies are slamming everybody with rate hikes. Have you noticed how the satellite companies have been dropping channels lately? Some permanent, some during disputes? Do you think all those new channels everyone demands or they will leave, and then finally get it, are free?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to fed_up

but why make DVR cost more and that's for each box as well?

Directv much better only 1 flat DRV for any number of boxes and each added box just needs the same rent / outlet / mirroring fee.

fed_up

@comcast.net

said by andyross :
Don't entirely blame Comcast. The media companies are slamming everybody with rate hikes. Have you noticed how the satellite companies have been dropping channels lately? Some permanent, some during disputes? Do you think all those new channels everyone demands or they will leave, and then finally get it, are free?

Well, I will admit that my rant may have been a little misdirected. I am well aware that as far as rates go, all subscription tv companies are at the mercy of content providers. I also know about blackouts due to unsuccessful contract re-negotiations, and the mud slinging campaigns used by both content providers and "pipe" providers that use the paying consumer as a bargaining chip. And again, you are correct about channel additions, as there have been a few new added channels, and those channels gotta get paid by Comcast so they can pay their bills, too. I suppose I lost sight of the big picture, and I thank you for reminding me of this important info.

Really, my rant was supposed to be geared more toward the now consistent HSI price increases. Prices went from $42.95, to $44.95, to $48.95, to (now) $51.95. Yes, there have been speed increases, and other perks that I don't use/care about (like free A/V, ESPN3, etc.), but raising prices on top of implementing overage fees just seems like Comcast is doing this just because they can. Of course, a company only has to raise the bar as high as their competitor does, perhaps, maybe slightly higher.

said by Joe12345678 :
but why make DVR cost more and that's for each box as well?

Directv much better only 1 flat DRV for any number of boxes and each added box just needs the same rent / outlet / mirroring fee.
Well, I don't have DVR service, but it appears that AnyRoom DVR will be offered here soon, if not already. Still, you're limited to just three regular STB's that can utilize the service. I wonder if one could get AnyRoom DVR and an additional DVR? Oh well, for the time being, it appears as though Comcast's DVR service falls behind that of competitors, and that's without getting into specifics like hardware and guide software.

tl;dr I do know that rates for all pay tv providers are set by the content providers. I'm just fed up with now consistent HSI price increases. Comcasts DVR service blows in comparison to their competitors.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Sadly, HSI is turning into cable TV. You are probably paying for ESPN3, WatchESPN, HBOGo, and who knows what others, even if you never use them (just like never watching them on TV.)

fed_up

@comcast.net

At least (I think) a HSI only sub can use ESPN and WatchESPN. Not so with HBOGo, where you have to pay HBO twice in order to use it. In fact, HBOGo is really like a tax levied against HSI subs. It also represents the greater problem that maybe content providers might have a bit too much control. Since I don't subscribe to HBO, I'd rather not have to pay the HBOGo tax.

At least on the bright side of fee/rate hikes, the modem rental fee and the HD tech fee haven't increased. In addition, the Blast Plus double play looks like an attractive option for those looking for fast internet and a decent channel lineup without the oh-so expensive sports channels. I still have a bad feeling that the semi-annual price hikes that some Comcast markets are seeing will come to the Mid-South area.

Slightly OT: In ways, I miss the olden days of about a decade ago. The days when HDTV was in it's infancy, and I was content with SDTV and the simpler (and cheaper) service provided by Time Warner at the time. $30 a month for full basic cable, and $40 a month for 5mbps/384kbps HSI ($44.95 if unbundled). Of course tv and HSI are better nowadays, but that improvement comes at a price. Sometimes I just wonder if there will come a time where prices get too high.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to fed_up

you still have to pay $9.95 for each additional box including the anyroom dvr and if you don't have ultimate package for comcast you need to pay $11.99 extra for an service.
So for any room dish or directv are cheaper.

fed_up

@comcast.net

said by mikedz4:
you still have to pay $9.95 for each additional box including the anyroom dvr and if you don't have ultimate package for comcast you need to pay $11.99 extra for an service.
So for any room dish or directv are cheaper.

Actually, as of Oct.1, the AnyRoom HD DVR (If it's actually available in our market yet) costs $19.95, and you can only have a max of three AnyRoom HD additional outlets at $9.95 per outlet (Included at no extra charge in the HD Complete XF triple play). I assume that means the AnyRoom HD DVR will only service up to three additional boxes. The AnyRoom service is cheaper if one subscribes to a HD triple play, and is included at no extra cost in the HD Complete XF triple play. AnyRoom rates maybe different in your particular market.

Really, the only cons with AnyRoom are the limit of three additional boxes. Additionally, other providers may allow more than three boxes per whole home DVR, and additional boxes maybe cheaper.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

its still cheaper with directv and dish.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

As it should be since you own your equipment with them and rent it via comcast.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

You don't own sat equipment, you lease it.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to fed_up

Whew, glad they didnt touch stand-alone HSI. At $72.95 a month not sure how much more I could stand. But my price has been pretty stable over the years with the biggest increase being when I lost my TW grandfathered bundle for moving a block away.

Then there was the time they increased the modem rental fee so I bought a modem and the next year they increased the base service price... gah!
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

fed_up

@comcast.net

said by MemphisPCGuy:
Whew, glad they didnt touch stand-alone HSI.
You know, now that you mentioned that, I noticed something. Traditionally, one could get HSI and limited basic cable and pay about as the same as one would getting just HSI. Now the difference between bundled/unbundled HSI is only $11, yet limited basic costs $23.95! Of course, I do know that Comcast, or any provider, has to pay to retransmit local channels.

This reminds me, Comcast has sent a half-dozen or more letters informing subs that limited basic is going digital only (Expanded basic went digital around late Oct./early Nov. last year). Not to worry though, limited basic will be ClearQAM (At least for now). Although, to be honest, if Comcast has to pay to carry locals, then they have a right to encrypt even limited basic. It sucks, but that's what happens when "must carry" gets scrapped.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to fed_up

AnyRoom DVR is only 1 DRV 2 tuner only.

The New X1 box with 4 to 6??? tuners only has 3 on and it's likely not working with AnyRoom.

Directv has AnyRoom that has sheared play lists and can link more then 1 drv.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to mikedz4

Directv has a 5 tuner box

fed_up

@comcast.net

Yeah, I completely forgot that Comcast's DVR boxes blow in comparison to any of their competitor's DVRs. Comcast is going to have to improve their DVR offering if they hope to stay competitive with their competition. Well, maybe U-Verse could be a possible exception, given that their "HD" DVR is crippled by over-compressed, pixelated video At&t considers to be HD.