reply to SparkChaser

Re: Old Singer sewing machine

Yes, I must of forgot to say that in the video.. first one came out wrong

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3

Given the technology of the time I think it's a variable resistor in series with the motor. I remember the singers working but I don't remember ever taking one apart.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

The inside of the foot controller was not how I expected but given 1968 I guess it's about right.

I think my above video shows that it has a huge dead space between a half press to fully pressing it down.. that's the part I don't understand hopefully google will have something about that.

It is fully oiled so it no longer slows down when doing zigzag stitches.. I'm going to be getting my mom a Brother SE400 for her birthday so this is just a fun little thing to work on now.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3

I think what Robbin showed is what I said.

Keep in mind that typically you has to give it more than you wanted to get it going and then back off to the slower speed. Just a phenomena of the motor control.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

That's not what happens here.. once my phone is done uploading to youtube I will show you..

It has no in between at all It's just full speed or nothing at all, so the way you are saying does not work here

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

That machine should move the needle as slow as you want it to go.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

It should but from what I can see inside the ceramic part are carbon discs which when fully pressing the switch disengages the carbon discs so it can run full speed.

shdesigns